Blender Exporting Sculpt Map

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started to try out Blender 2.64 and got the basic knowledge on it. I recently created a dagger mesh (pic below), and I would want to bake the sculpt map of each part of it. Exporting the mesh version of it was easy, although, I do not know how to bake the mesh into the sculpt map properly. Pls help me! T_T, can't find a thread, post, or tutorial which I fully understand.

Here are some questions I would like to ask:

Is it required to add a new image in the UV editor for it to bake?

When baking the sculpt map, which should I select? Full render, normals, etc. ?

Should the unwrapped UV be bound to the UV box?

Do I need to download scripts or other softwares like Jass 2 or Primstar to make things easier, or is there by default built-in scripts in Blender 2.64? o.O

I'm very new to this, and would appreciate if you could reply in a "not-too complex way". Thank you!! :)

Blender Dagger Mesh Image

You are not sculpting when you use mesh. Sculpts are old school :P its where you take the UV sphere you have in world and force it into a shape using blender etc. Don't worry about learning sculpts, not important.

To get your mesh in world is easier than you think, Tab to object mode and right click to select you mesh. Go up to file > Export> Export as (COLLADA) .dae

And save it in a file of your choice. 

Done. Now you can upload it to SL, if you have Made a UVmap to go with it using the image editor then the information will be saved with the .dae and you can apply the UVmap as a texture in-world. Just upload that once you have uploaded your mesh.

Also, If you don't know how to export the UV map to edit it before uploading to SL

http://i.imgur.com/hj0Qt.png

Just unwrap it and edit the unwrap for how you want it, and Export UV layout. Probably my favorite way to get the UV map out of blender.

annd one final thing. Remember that SL does have a FREE upload on their beta grid for you to test your mesh before you bring it to the main grid. There are a lot of things you might have missed just viewing it through blender, so I would recommend doing that! I never miss that step in making mesh, its silly to just waste money fixing mistakes when you can for free.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you know any toturial about making sculpt maps please let me know. I am very interested in making objects with sculpt map since the result will have the minimum land impact.

Objects made using sculpt map can have a variety of shapes with land impact of 1 !

As Frawmusl said, give up the idea of making sculpties.  They were a temporary hack during the couple of years before Linden Lab made it possible to upload genuine mesh objects.  Sculpties are essentially obsolete.  You'll find plenty in SL that were made while that's all we had, but nobody's making them any more.  That was already true two years ago when the OP started this ancient thread, and its much more true today.  Second Life has moved on.  Learn to make mesh.

• 1 year later...

Actually, I'm interested in this too. Just because sculpts are 'outdated' or 'obsolete' doesn't mean they don't have their uses. It has already been mentioned that they can be useful for accomplishing things with a lower impact in certain situations. The thing that I am interested in, however, is what is known as 'uuid flipping'. This is where you change the form of an object by turning it into a different one. Mesh objects no longer allow this, but with sculpts it is still possible. Systems like Prim Possible rely on this functionality to pull sculpt maps from an external database, allowing for easy updates and other dynamic options.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On every forum page asking about sculpts and sculpt map plugins I see everyone saying "use mesh", but there are times when mesh won't do. Mesh is good for small, high detail objects such as furniture but if you scale them up, the land impact rises too. I need to produce a sculpt map for a large false terrain plane. I've tried sculptypaint, it won't run on my PC at all. I installed Wings3d and the Sl wiki links to the SL plugin are dead. Now I'm looking for the sculpt map plugin for Blender, and everyone says "go mesh". I need a sculpt map, not mesh. It's really frustrating.

• Like 1

semalina wrote:

On every forum page asking about sculpts and sculpt map plugins I see everyone saying "use mesh", but there are times when mesh won't do. Mesh is good for small, high detail objects such as furniture but if you scale them up, the land impact rises too. I need to produce a sculpt map for a large false terrain plane. I've tried sculptypaint, it won't run on my PC at all. I installed Wings3d and the Sl wiki links to the SL plugin are dead. Now I'm looking for the sculpt map plugin for Blender, and everyone says "go mesh". I need a sculpt map, not mesh. It's really frustrating.

The last time I made sculpted prims was in 2009 probably. With Blender 2.49. So if I would want to make a sculpty, I would download Blender 2.49b along with Primstar 1.0.

Otherwise I would consider purchasing Primstar 2 for the newer Blender versions from Machinimatrix.

This is how I convert Blender models to sculpts:

• Start with a 32x32 vertice grid (and remember never ever to add or remove vertices or polys from the model!)
  • Shape it up
  • Export as dae (or was it obj? can't remember exactly)
  • Import into Wings3D
  • Export as sculpt map
  • Open in paint.net and turn the mess into a proper sculpt map
  • Import to SL

Perhaps not the easiest way but it works and it's not as if I have to do it every month and unlike anything that involve fiddling with anything inside Blender, the process is fairly easy to remember so I don't have to relearn it every time I need a Blender created sculpt.

This sounds creative. :matte-motes-sing:

From what I remember, Primstar 1.0 were some awesome Blender scripts. It made the whole sculpted prim thing alot easier. But it's been a while, and I hope I don't need to do another sculpt, and have to relearn all that stuff. :matte-motes-little-laugh:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.