Beginner Question : size of texture on inworld object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, I've created a rectangle in second life, and I just want to texture the front side.

I would like to go into photoshop and create the texture, but I don't know the proportions/size of the object. I want to create a photoshop document using pixels or inches as the measurements.

How do i create a texture that is the same size of this in world rectangle?

Thanks!

Size is irrelevant. Forget inches, feet, meters, or furlongs.  Your texture will stretch to cover the surface you put it on.  The relevant factors are your texture's aspect ratio and its pixel dimensions.  All textures uploaded to SL must have pixel dimensions in powers of 2 (that is, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024).  If you try to upload a texture with non-standard dimensikons, it will be resized automatically to the next lowest power of 2.  So a 620 x 250 pixel image will be downsized to 512 x 128.  It's much smarter to make you Photoshop textures with correct dimensikons yourself and avoid havng the system do it.

If you make a texture that is, say, 256 x 256 pixels, you can apply it to any size (or shape) prim surface in world.  It will conform to that surface (potentially being stretched way out of shape or, if it's stretched too much, getting really blurry).  The trick, then, is to anticipate the aspect ration of whatever surface you will be putting your texture on.  If you know that the in-world surface will be 2:1 (width:height), then it's smarter to make your Photoshop texture 256 x 128 than 256 x 256, for example.

You may upload textures as TGA, PNG, JPG, or BMP files.  JPG and BMP do not support layers or channels, so you obviously can't handle transparency with those formats.  All images are automatically converted to JPEG2000 formay in the SL servers regardless of how you made them.

Oh, two small hints:

1. To get a feel for what your uploaded textures look like without paying L$10 apiece for permanent uploads, use the Local Textures option.

2.  If you want to apply your texture to only one face of your object in world, click the Select Face button at the top of your Build edit tool in your viewer and then click on the face before applying the texture.  Or simply drag/drop the texture from inventory onto that face directly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.