Artifacts when loading textures. Please help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Artifacts when loading textures.:matte-motes-crying: Please help.
Please help. I'm trying to create the texture of the skin to the mesh.
But there is a problem - when I make the skin in Photoshop (do the different tones of color) in Photoshop, everything looks smooth gradient. But when I load this texture into the world of artifacts that appear as rainbow spots!
This is especially noticeable on dark colors! I tried to use different file formats (TGA, PNG and jpg) tried to use a different color depth (8, 16, 32 bits) different color spaces, but the result is always the same artifacts. I showed this in the screenshot.
I also apply filters such as solidify B, nothing helps. Please help.
Here is an example - http://itmages.com/image/view/3388841/ae7b8beb
http://itmages.com/image/view/3388841/ae7b8beb

Hard to see what's happening, at least on the screen I am using now. I suspect it's due to jpg compression. The part you point at looks the same to me as the area around the text you added.

No matter how you upload your pictures, on the SL servers they are stored as compressed jpg2000 pictures. If you use very dark colours (or any small range of colours), you'll get visible artefacts. If it's concentrated in just one area of your texture, you could try to clone an area nearby (in PS/Gimp) which doesn't show the issue.

Few tips:

Texture size: Avatar textures in SL have a maximum size of 512 x 512 pixels

-- Your original texture appears to be 2048 x 2048 pixels. Don't do the uploading in that size. If you do SL will downsize that image to 1024 x 1024 pixels (which is the maximum size in SL for general textures. Then again when you apply that 1024 x 1024 texture to avatar skin (the head part in your case), SL will downsize it to 512 x 512 pixels which is the maximum allowed size for avatar textures. These two downsizings may cause artifacts because SL is not perfect for texture downsizing.

-- Thus first downsize your texture (make a copy and downsize it, so you still have the big original saved) in your texture editing program to 512 x 512 pixels. After downsizing your texture have a one more look to see are there any artifacts in it; if there are correct them in the downsized texture. Then upload that 512 x 512 texture to SL. Doing so SL has no need to downsize the texture any more. (Your texture editing software does a better job in downsizing than SL does.)

Texture file formats: Never use JPG-files. There is absolutely no need to do so. It just adds one extra lossy compression to the texture. Always use TGA or alternatively PNG. These are lossless file formats. So your texture will be uploaded as perfect as possible to SL. (SL does only the conversion to its internal file format, no downsizing happens.)

Colour depth: Use only 8 bits per pixel. SL does not support 16 bits per pixel nor 32 bits per pixel colour depths.

• 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.