How do I make another avatar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

If you mean you want to make 2 more accounts then it's easy, you just need to go back to the 'Join' page and follow the steps to create them (I believe you can have up to 5 total per email account, not entirely sure though, but you should be able to make your 2 additional accounts at least without any problems).  You can get right to the 'Join' page here: https://join.secondlife.com/, mind you that if you are a premium account holder your new accounts will not have the same benefits unless you also pay for additional subscriptions for them, it's not like in World of Warcraft where you can create a certain number of characters on your account, each login name in SL is treated as a separate account in regards to a premium subscription, however in regards to banning and other things they are as far as I know treated as sub-accounts of the main account, additionally each new account would have to be age verified separately.

Not to really try to argue but I don't think it's based on physical address, in another thread I had been following somewhat recently a few people stated that they had created more than 5 accounts/avatars, I myself currently have 5 different avatars/accounts using 3 different email addresses and don't see any indication on the SL website (through account details or other means) that my physical address would keep me from creating a 6th one, I also don't see any indication that LL knows that all 3 email addresses I used are owned by the same individual (all 3 are free aol email accounts).  I admit that I may be mistaken about my theory that the limit is based on email address, but then how do we explain those posters in another thread who said they had more than 5?

This is a bit of a "sticky wicket". Yes, it is possible to have more then five in fact you can buy them. Some say there are workarounds for more without paying a fee.

The term location I mentioned is also problematic it also appears the hardware you use is involved in identifying your location. (eg. the phrase "hardware banned".

The issue was making more AVs so I kept it simple.

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter ............... officially  SL says you can have, five but in the small print can be found options for more then five.

Karina Tyrellium wrote:

I did that but when I try logging my new avatar in at the same time, it logs out my first one.

That's the way it's supposed to work actually, the only way to have more than one AV logged in at the same time is to run multiple instances of your viewer (multiple copies running at the same time), there's a command line parameter that allows you to do this if you are running the official viewer (many 3rd party viewers have this ability enabled by default now), the parameter is '--multiple' (minus the single quotation marks), you can get more information on using command line parameters at: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Client_parameters

Perhaps you should have asked if there was a way to have more than one AV logged in at a time instead of asking "How do I make another avatar?" if that's what you were hoping to do.

You also need to be aware that accounts cannot share a single inventory amongst them (ie. items in one accounts inventory are not accessible by another account regardless of whether the accounts are held by the same individual or not, you can however give copies of copyable inventory items to your other accounts/alts/av's and you can transfer transferable items from one account to another which will remove the item from the original owners inventory and move it to the receiving accounts inventory), additionally age/adult verification needs to be done on a per account basis, just because you age/adult verified one account does not mean that any other accounts you have are automatically age/adult verified, and lastly if one account is premium the others will not receive premium benefits unless you pay for a premium subscription for each individual account in addition to the first account's premium subscription.

ps - if you are not familiar with what an 'alt' is, it is essentially a secondary/tertiary/quaternary/etc... (2nd/3rd/4th/etc...) account belonging to the same owner as the original account.

short answer: You can't.

In depth explanation: Linden Labs (LL) views each account as being a separate entity regardless of whether or not you own multiple accounts (avatars).  Benefits allotted to one account are not accessible by other accounts.  So things like your Linden Dollar balance are not shared amongst your various avatars, likewise with Premium subscription benefits like Linden Homes and weekly Stipend, same with inventory, items cannot be 'shared' amongst accounts except by either copying those items that are copyable to the other accounts, or transfering those items that are transferable from one account to another.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.