How do I find the RGB values of my skin?

winniefred

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Open the Develop menu in your top toolbar.  (Ctl-Alt-Q) and go to Show Info which is the second item in the drop down menu.  Click Show color under cursor.  You will see some numbers appear at the bottom right of your screen.  Ignore the last zero.  The other numbers are your R, G, and B.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For anyone else who wanders into this ANCIENT thread ....   Please note that the OP posted her question in 2012.  That was years before mesh bodies came to SL but shoes with feet in them were starting to come on the market.  Matching one creator's feet with another creator's body was a real challenge. The concept of an "applier" hadn't appeared yet. You can still buy body parts from different sources today, of course, but the world is not nearly as chaotic.  The advice about using the advanced control to Show Color Under Cursor is still good, but Lindal's advice (offered today, 1/23/2019) is much more to the point now.  Today, you can buy a head, body, and feet that are all matched properly, so the skin textures blend well by design.  Even if you buy parts from different sources, they are often created with blending in mind.  Look for brands that offer appliers for your specific body.

• Like 2

Follow the perfect directions that Venus gave you.  Don't expect a "perfect" color match, however. Your skin is not always the same color. As you might expect -- look at the color of your RL skin -- the color depends on the time of day, the sun angle, whether you are in shade or direct sunlight, the color of other lights around you, and whatever Windlight settings may be used where you are standing.  The best you can expect is a rough approximation of your skin color that will look "sort of correct" most of the time.

• Like 5

On 3/2/2012 at 12:04 AM, Venus Petrov said:

Open the Develop menu in your top toolbar.  (Ctl-Alt-Q) and go to Show Info which is the second item in the drop down menu.  Click Show color under cursor.  You will see some numbers appear at the bottom right of your screen.  Ignore the last zero.  The other numbers are your R, G, and B.

This advice has helped me enormously. Thank you so much!

While the thread is definitely ancient and a vast majority of the Residents have moved to mesh body / body parts, there are still plenty of new folks that don't jump right into the mesh bodies (and heck, even a few older folks still using the classic system body), so the basic info here is still somewhat relevant. 

When I first came back to SL a couple of years ago, before I even picked up some mesh feet, I used some of the 'shoes with feet' thus had to deal with matching the skin.  The 'show info' trick does help in those cases, but, as Rolig mentioned in her first post back in 2012, it will not provide a good match under all the different viewpoints and lighting possibilities in SL. That is why so many of those 'shoe/feet' combos had some sort of strap at the ankle where the foot connected to the body.  As long as you could get close with your coloring, the strap would help hide minor differences.

Using mesh feet on a system body can give the same type of issues, though there you usually can at least buy a system skin from someone that also makes a mesh foot 'applier'.  However, while that will provide a much better match, there will often still be slight issues at the seam line - similar to using a system head with a mesh body.  In those case, anklets and / or chokers will become your close friends.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.