How do I change my avatar, on a galaxy tab s 10.3, to one I purchased?

prometheus20777

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently signed up for SL, selected an avatar, and purchased a complete Avatar. I went to change over to the new Avatar, and nothing happened. I'm still in the Avatar I first chose! Everyone says they know how to change it on the computer, but no one seems to know how to change it on a tablet. Do I NEED to do it on a computer, can it even be done on a tablet, or do I need to wait for the 7 day trial to expire and do it when I'm a paying subscriber?

4 answers to this question

You have several questions wrapped up in one, so here are a handful of general bits of advice:

1.  You don't need to pay for a Premium membership to enjoy Second Life.  In fact, the majority of residents don't.  I have been a basic member for 7 years now and have never felt the need, despite owning a region and having devoted a lot of my time to content creation here.

2.  SL doesn't work very well on most tablets.  In fact, hardly any.  You really need a computer for the best performance.

3.  It sounds like you chose a "mesh": avatar --- one of the new style that Linden Lab has been offering for the past few months.  I'd recommend not doing that.   Go back to the avatar picker and choose an avatar that does NOT say "mesh" after it.  Almost all clothing/skins in SL was made for the "classic" avatar that most of us use, and cannot be used on a mesh avatar.  All in all, the mesh avatars are difficult for a newcomer to deal with.

• Like 1

Changing clothes is bewildering but you get the hang of it after a while. Essentially it is a matter of taking things off and putting things on. There may be some differences depending on the viewer that you are using to access SL but for the most part it is the same on a PC or tablet.

Right click on yourself and select Take Off, then select Clothes and then All Clothes.

Right click on yourself and select Tack Off again, then select Detach All.

Now you shouldn't be wearing anything and may look a bit weird, but don't worry about that for the moment. If it looks like you still have some clothes on don't worry about it for the moment.

Next step is to put on that new Avatar you bought. This will probably consist of several parts which may be in a box. If they have encouraging names like shape, skin, hair, jacket and so on try double clicking on them and see if you start wearing them.

If you have just one thing it is probably a have to open it up and load the contents into your inventory first. To do this drag the thing that you have to a ground right click and select Open and then click Copy to inventory.

First read this: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Opening-boxes/ta-p/700185

And this too: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919

• Like 1

It sounds like you are using the SL Go service offered by OnLive to run Second Life on your tablet.  I haven't used this, so I can't give you much help...but I'm sure you can change your appearance in SL Go the same way you would if you were using a regular PC.  Especially, see Rolig's answer and suggestion about changing to a "classic" avatar.

For more about editing appearance, see my blog post, "One for the VERY New Avatar" 

• Like 1

Thanks, I think I've got it. BTW, since tablets don't have a r-click feature, you have to press the LITTLE settings icon at the bottom of the window (once you've selected the feature you want to affect). Other than that, everything seems to be spot-on. Again, Thank You!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.