Display name only showed first letter, but when I pressed "reset" it said the full display name

Lumivarjo Ethereal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I changed my display to "Profanity Prayers" (named after the song) and after two posts, my name was only coming up as "P". When I reset my name (thinking it was bugging) I got a message saying "Profanity Prayers (Lumivarjo) is now known as Lumivarjo".

Does anybody know what's going on? Or if I can even get the display name back?

3 answers to this question

I'm not sure why your display name only showed the first character. Perhaps that was a glitch in your browser. The system did seem to show your entire display name at the time you reset it. Did your display name show okay in-world?

Although you can reset your display name to your username at any time, you can only select new display names once every seven days. Try again next week. 

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Usernames-and-display-names/ta-p/700173

If you have more to add to your question, do so by editing it (via "Options" over there on the right).

When you reset your Display Name, it goes to the default, which is your login name -- Lumivarjo.  You may change your Display Name once a week, either by setting a new name or by resetting it (as you did) to the default.  So, yes, you may get that "Profanity Prayers" name back again, but you'll have to wait a week.  Be sure not to include disalowed characters -- usually in funny fonts that drive DJs and merchants crazy.

You used a fancy font - ℙ ℙ

A lot of those non standard characters make the back end very upset.

Usually what happens is if you use certain fancy characters and set your display name on Firestorm, using legacy profiles, the display name will initially take but will then cut off after the first character that isn't allowed either after a few minutes or after a relog.

If you set the display name via the web profile (LL viewer or directly on your web profile in an external browser) the display name will change to some gibberish in Korean.

See BUG-11555 - Setting certain characters in Display Name results in DN changing twice within minutes and resulting DN changes to Korean

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.