Avatar Rendering Cost. How do I lower it?

Armani Static

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi guys..

I'm trying to lower my rendering cost. Its   really really high.

3 Questions:

1. Is  there anyway  to delete scripts from no-modifiable  prims?

2. I tried a  freebie script scrubber..doesnt seem to be working  even on modifiable  items. I just  drag the scrubber script into  the prims content folder..and nadda. It says the prim has been cleaned however my rendering cost is the same. Am I doing something wrong?

3. If I have no  scripts in the item and the rendering cost is  high..am I  technically lagging a sim? Or are my items just going  to take longer to  rezz for the other individual camming me?

If  anyone can provide me more info on rendering cost issues and deleting scripts that would be great. Thanks

8 answers to this question

Rendering cost has less to do about scripts and much more to do about the number of prims you are wearing.  I just checked mine and its 8298.  Took off my hair and it went down to 5531.  Removing my shoes got me to 745!  So if its really important to you, change the way you dress.  I'm not giving up my hair :-)    But I didn't realize these boots were that high.

--Cinn

Armani Static wrote:

Hi guys..

I'm trying to lower my rendering cost. Its   really really high.

3 Questions:

1. Is  there anyway  to delete scripts from no-modifiable  prims?

2. I tried a  freebie script scrubber..doesnt seem to be working  even on modifiable  items. I just  drag the scrubber script into  the prims content folder..and nadda. It says the prim has been cleaned however my rendering cost is the same. Am I doing something wrong?

3. If I have no  scripts in the item and the rendering cost is  high..am I  technically lagging a sim? Or are my items just going  to take longer to  rezz for the other individual camming me?

If  anyone can provide me more info on rendering cost issues and deleting scripts that would be great. Thanks

Here is the official wiki page on avatar rendering cost, how it is calculated and how to reduce yours. As mentioned at the end of that article, if someone with a high ARC is affecting your enjoyment of a sim and you have avatar impostors enabled, just mute the person to bring his/her ARC down to 1.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_Rendering_Cost

Nyll

Join nudist sim and go butt naked! Rendering cost 0!

Scripts have nothing to do with AVi rendering cost,they just make lag,nothing else!

Prims in your attachments on other hand have wery mouch to do with AVi rendering cost,more prims higher is rendering cost! Add sculpted prims,flexy prims and its more than double cost than normal prim to render! HIgh resolution textures on prims also cost more than low resolution textures to render!Anny modification other than normal plain texture costs more and more! Shiny,glow,bump mapping! You do the math!

Ruth,my fav 0 rendering cost Avatar!

Scripts have little or nothing to do with ARC.

Remove clothing and objects from your AV, mostly objects. Hair and dresses being major ACR consumers. Start taking cloth and attachments off and see what's causing the problem then remove those and/or replace them with less ARC consuming items. Some custom AVs (I'm not going to name any names for my own personal safety. LOL) can also be a problem you might need to switch to a less resource consuming Avatars.

What do you consider high, btw? Myself an ARC of below 1000 seems about right but I cheat some. No, I cheat a lot. LOL

It really matter most on SIMs with an over abundance of AVs on them like clubs, combat and at  events.

If you're under 2000,should be an ok ARC.Higher than 5000,then you're pushing it.Some female outfits can hit 10000-20000,and some weapon/magic systems will bring you to 50000 or more.High prim attatchments and flexi attatchments are the main cause of high rendering.Only problem is,one person lowering it in a area with 20+ ppl with high rendering doesn't do anything,so might as well look good,lol.It is a base number,and not a real lag determiner.Usually better comps with higher end cpu and gpu will not notice it much at all,but lower end ones will.Sometimes it's insane amount of scripts on a sim or the server causing the issues,so not much oyu can do yourself,except leave the sim.

A few things to do are goto network tab and turn up both cache and bandwidth sliders,so you don't have to recache textures all the time,and get alot more speed to rez.Dropping draw distance to 64,and turning off water reflections,particles,and atmospheric shaders helps even more.Also make sure there's no antialiasing enabled or anisotropic filtering enabled in your hardware options button in graphics tab.

Hi,

what normally causes a high ARC is hair, jewelry, boots/shoes, belts, bags etc.

Detach some of it and see the dramatic difference.

To lower lag, you should delete resize scripts from your clothing/hair. Make sure to take a copy before you do that!

I hope you sort it out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.