Windlight Magazine July 2016 Issue!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The July issue of Windlight Magazine is now published! You can read the in world version via our many kiosks in world or visit our website: https://goo.gl/hiJhVR. This issue is our one year anniversary issue and features Bryn Oh, Indie TeePee, Chloeelectra, Swank, metaLES 7th Anniversary, and over 50 images generously provided by artists who have exhibited at the various Windlight Galleries in the past.

Several Windlight events have been featured in the Destination Guide over the past year, you'd think the Lab would have taken those many opportunities to make their point? It's quite clear while reading the brand guidelines that it's not allowed (ex. No Use in Your Branding. Do not use any Linden Lab brand name in your product or service name, your business or organization name, or your second-level domain name except as specifically allowed in our License To Use SL™ or inSL™.), but I am trying to think of why it has not been enforced? If LL hasn't knocked at Windlights door over the past year to confront them about this I seriously doubt they would rebrand at this point, even if the suggestion was based in factual copyright information.....

Like many things in SL, I suspect that it's a staffing issue.  The Lab simply doesn't have the staff (or the money to hire staff) to spend their time ferreting out violations of every policy, so they prioritize.  Put the emphasis on violations that will cost them money or resident retention or public image and then deal with everything else when someone calls attention to it specifically. 

We get this sort of question about Sploders, for example.  They clearly violate the Skill Gaming policy and could put the Lab in legal liability.  Even though that should make Sploders a relatively high priority, it would be a full time job to search for all instances across the grid.  If someone submits an AR, that makes it easy.  Otherwise, they slide under the radar.  If that's true for Sploder, Windlight is even more likely to escape the Lab's attention.

So would it be safe to say they see Windlight Gallery as more of an asset to the SL Art Community than a detriment? 

The Destination guide in itself is curated by the Lab, if they are presented with an application for the DG which blatantly containts trademark violations in the title wouldn't that be a very quick and easy catch? Seeing as locations must meet a certain critera to be even considered, how have Windlight special event sims been featured multiple times without a single Lab employee saying "Hmmm, well that's violating terms etc etc."? I mean it's quite clear in the Destination guide info page that sims violating the Trademark Guidelines cannot even be considered, yet Windlight is being both Considered and Approved.

Suggested venues must comply with all of the following:

And of course just to be clear I am not trying to defend any one party, nor trying to throw anyone under the bus. I do have a rented gallery at Windlight's sim and regularly attend/participate in their events, so I am quite interested in what might happen....

Well, I did say that I "suspected" it was a staffing issue.  That's really the only rational explanation I can come up with, but I might be wrong.  This is the same sort of conundrum that police and district attorneys are faced with in RL.  Many more people break the law than end up being charged with anything.  You have to prioritize.  Go after the really bad guys and the expensive infractions first.  Then, if you have time, energy, and enough policemen, deal with the small fry.  It may not be what's going on in this case, but it's still how I place my bet.

Incidentally, like you I am not trying to defend anyone or throw anyone under a bus.  Rules are in place to set standards for behavior.  All I am saying is that there are pragmatic reasons why some infractions get overlooked in the grand scheme of things.  Once the spotlight is turned on them, of course, conditions may change.

Thanks for the additional information (everyone above, not just Tamara) - I'm not familiar with this brand or their work. I just saw this post and figured it could be useful to let them know of the potential for conflict.

It's not unheard of for companies to ignore offenders until it either becomes harmful (unlikely in this case) or profits call for action (more likely). With registered trademarks however - as in this case - enforcement action is required by law if the trademark holder intends to keep the registration. Registration costs money, and of course was only granted in the first place by having WL absorbed into LL through a merging of companies.

It would be highly irregular for a company like Linden Lab not to enforce a registered trademark upon realising the transgression, hence my reason for the cautionary warning. It could get very messy, and the incentive for chasing would probably be high irrespective of any contribution to the platform - because it's a trademark issue and they'd have to enforce, or lose the registration due to it having been contested. That would pit this magazine in direct confrontation with our service operator, and no-one wins.

I wish I had a better perspective, and hope it all works out. For my part I'll make a personal note, and move on.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.