Selling (custom) Profile pictures ( Question )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone.

I got a couple of questions.

First off, I'm new tl Sl, I've been playing it now for a week or so, And really enjoy it. But I decided that I want to earn some money (L$)  I'm pretty good with photoshop. And I've already made some profile pictures for friends, and they really liked it. and this is also the subject what I want to disscus or want to know. so here are the questions:

1.  Can you sell premade profile pictures on the sl marketstore?

2. If so, can you also setup profile pictures examples, that people can use for a custom made one ( so they well see a profile picture they like ( design ) and they can order it, and then I can make it for them[when they have send a picture of there avatar] and send the finished result to them.)

3. under which  should you sell profile pictures?
category

4. what is the best price range for profile pictures? ( you can find an example profile picture I made on the bottom )

EXAMPLES PROFILE PICTURES I MADE:

picture 1 :  http://s1.postimg.org/4s2smzxhb/girlpowerd.png
picture 2 : http://s1.postimg.org/ahj17b3nj/pfpic_1.png

There is a lot of competition you will deal with doing profile pictures.  That said, if you are good at it you may do okay.

You need to take the pictures rather than rely on the subject sending you one.  Anyone can put a background on a pic, successful people take great photos of their clients too.

Business>Retail>Gift Cards and Vouchers is where you would sell you services on MP.  You will need to give the purchaser a no copy/ no mod/ transfer gift card they can redeem with you and as proof they purchased your services.  You can have various one at different price points, say a standard, pick your background from a portfolio, and one for custom work maybe another set for couple pics, package deals etc.

What you charge will depend on the demand for your services.  Well known photographers can command high prices where new people like you probably can only ask a few hundred L's.  A lot of new people in the field work for free until they build a good portfolio to show prospective clients.

Your best bet is to look around at your competition and photographers that do similar work to yours and see what they charge then price yourself competitively keeping in mind you need to build a reputation.

sgtmarkoes wrote:

Hello everyone.

1.  Can you sell premade profile pictures on the sl marketstore?

You can try but I believe it wouldn't be worth the effort... 

sgtmarkoes wrote:

2. If so, can you also setup profile pictures examples, that people can use for a custom made one ( so they well see a profile picture they like ( design ) and they can order it, and then I can make it for them[when they have send a picture of there avatar] and send the finished result to them.)

You will have to get the permission of the people on photos to sell them and explain you do it only for the marketing purposes. In general, people are sensitive when it comes to their photos so they would mind seeing their profile photo up for sale on the Marketplace. Your better bet is a website to showcase your work. 

sgtmarkoes wrote:

3. under which  should you sell profile pictures?

category

Services.

sgtmarkoes wrote:

4. what is the best price range for profile pictures? ( you can find an example profile picture I made on the bottom )

Best price is one people are willing to pay you! For the example ones I would pay the upload fee. 

I can suggest you few things...

1. Make yourself a nice portfolio first, then start to think about making money. Make your friends happy with new profile photos. 10-15 photos for start would be fine. Flickr is free and all SL photographers are there so besides showcasing your work you can also connect with others.
  2. Search for studios in-world, ones that hire photographers and apply. When you work in the studio you don't have to worry about finding new people, customer service, marketing... and tons of other things. You just do your photos.
  3. Have fun! ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.