Photoshop Question - Cartoon/Comic Book Effect

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi (: So I run a SL Blog and I take a lot of pictures in SL and I like to edit my pictures in Photoshop sometimes, Well there's a certain effect that I've seen people give their pictures, it's a cartoony or comic book type look....Here's a link to what I'm talking about http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilistarship/8084538255/in/photostream I've searched for so long trying to find tutorials to achieve this look but to no avail. Now the person who's done these photos I've linked to does offer Photoshop lessons but she charges 5k linden per lesson, and I don't really have that to spend :( I'm hoping someone can offer me some help for free, I've seen other people do the same look so I know other people must know how to do it.

Really hope someone can help :) Thank you.

First thing, forget effects and styles, what you see there takes alot of time and effort.

Learn how to use pen tool, quick selection (with refine edge), liquify, different layer modes and brushes. Learn how to draw hair. Here is link to great hair brushes we all use http://browse.deviantart.com/#/d2ek38u 

Also browse DevArt for different tutorials on how to draw hair. Its hard but eventually you will learn it.

To smooth out the skin select it and make a new layer out of the selection, blur it a little but watch out to have your original layer selected while blurring so that you don't have any pixels around your original avatar layer. You can also make a copy of your original avatar layer and mask out everything except the skin and then blur. Here you need to learn how to create a good mask so it doesn't look messy.

To add shadows and darker parts of the skin/clothes make a new layer, set its mode to either overlay or multiply and paint your dark parts using the color of the skin. For highlights same method but layer mode is screen, soft light or linear dodge.

Everything you do, do it on a new layer without touching your original one.

If you want to use dodge and burn tool do it like this: create  a new layer and fill it with 50% black then set its mode to overlay, and using a soft round brush paint over the areas you want to highlight or darken. Here comes the color mixer tool, learn how to use it and smooth out the areas between light and dark parts.

Forget forums, you have 2 options; either invest in ps classes or take some time and search for ps tutorials. With  77.400.000 results Google is your best friend! Take a look and good luck ps tutorials

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.