Larger Resolution?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi! I am looking into trying to sell some of my photography as posters and other items but am running into a resolution problem. They want certain sizes and since I work where they get printed I know what resolution works best (240). However I can't seem to find a way to save my images from SL any higher than 72 resolution. The dimensions I can do max are 5196 X 3040 so a decent size though I wouldn't mind bigger. If I get too much bigger I tend to crash when I go to take and save the pictures. 

Any advice would be welcome! I am looking into ReShade but it mostly seems to be post processing like filters and such?

Thanks! Can reply here or im/notecard me inworld. Wyona.Steamweaver

Wyona Steamweaver wrote:

Hi! I am looking into trying to sell some of my photography as posters and other items but am running into a resolution problem. They want certain sizes and since I work where they get printed I know what resolution works best (240). However I can't seem to find a way to save my images from SL any higher than 72 resolution. The dimensions I can do max are 5196 X 3040 so a decent size though I wouldn't mind bigger. If I get too much bigger I tend to crash when I go to take and save the pictures. 

Any advice would be welcome! I am looking into ReShade but it mostly seems to be post processing like filters and such?

Thanks! Can reply here or im/notecard me inworld. Wyona.Steamweaver

Ok, I'll assume that the 240/72 'resolutions' you are refering t is the 'dpi' value for the image files...

Dpi values are meaningless, most digital publishing software can rescale an image to fit a given printing size, regardless of it's theoretical 'dpi' which is realy a legacvy feature from the days when people just throw image files directly at printers.

If your pixel resolution is high enough for your intended use, but you desperately need to change the dpi numbers, search for and download a freeware app called Irfanview, it can read/write just about every image format ever invented, rotate, crop, resize, and edit things like embedded dpi settings, and it's resampled resizer often gives better results than official 'image editing software, it can even use some photoshop filters if you feel the need for that.

If you create an account on deviantart.com, you can upload your pictures there, they don't care so much about dpi numbers, only basic pixel resolution, and you can use the site to sell prints in various sizes and formats (framed/unframed etc) directly on their website, their size options are based only on pixel resolutions, at 300 dpi printing , your pictures would be big enough for a 15 inch by 10 inch framed print for example.

• Like 1

The max you can upload into SL is 2048x2048, and once it is in SL that is only 1024x1024, maybe you could do somethig with panels put together that would have a total that was higher, but it is going to be broken up most likely, though you might be able to get he seems to vanish if you put the textures on promas and then linked them. I just am nt sur eit wll be worth the effort, is anyone goin gto be able to tell th edifference after you do to all that work?

Talligurl wrote:

The max you can upload into SL is 2048x2048, and once it is in SL that is only 1024x1024, maybe you could do somethig with panels put together that would have a total that was higher, but it is going to be broken up most likely, though you might be able to get he seems to vanish if you put the textures on promas and then linked them. I just am nt sur eit wll be worth the effort, is anyone goin gto be able to tell th edifference after you do to all that work?

She's talking about taking pictures in SL... then printing them out in RL and selling them for real money, FirstLife Retail not Secondlife Retail.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.