Drawing/paining scene in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there! 

My name's Core, and I really enjoy drawing scenery and avatars that I see in SL. I'd really like to share these with people, but I'm not sure what the standard way to do that is. Most galleries and whatnot seem focused on photograpgy (and tbh I'm not even sure how a person goes about applying to a gallery in the first place.)

Also, I don't usually upload my drawings, because a lot of them are of other people, and I feel like it would be creepy to be like "hey i drew u can i post it on flickr?" Is there some kind of standard etiquette for asking to share images of someone else's avatar?

Hey Core! 

Don't be turned off by the fact that 75% of galleries in SL are packed with Inworld Photography! Just because it is popular does not mean it is the only thing allowed, or the only thing people want to see for that matter. I create graphic designs and often find myself displaying amongst mostly photography.

Many galleries will have mailboxes where you can drop a notecard for consideration to display. However, one way to display your work without worrying about "Applying" anywhere would be to rent a small gallery or storefront in an Art Mall or popular area. Simply having a Landmark that you can send people to where they can view your work Inworld will take you to the next level !!! 

As for where to upload and permissions, flickr is a great place to post SL related content simply because there is a large community of users there. I personally feel like Avatars and Users that often take pictures of themselves would love to see themselves drawn, but yes it might be a good call to shoot the individual an IM telling them your intentions. I feel like another resident may have more to say in regards to this point, being privacy and avatar permissions, so hopefully someone else chimes in! 

• Like 1

Hey Core,

This sounds like a great idea. I've been drawn a couple of times in-world, it's always made me feel pretty special! So I applaud the [probable] intent of special-feelings. For etiquette, I've had people ask beforehand and not - not asking if someone would like to be drawn seems risky to me but I actually don't think I can imagine it going poorly (unless you demand money or something :P). And of course, if someone is sour and really does object to having their image posted in public online, it's probably courteous to hide it - though you could still use it in a private portfolio.

As far as rules go, you're safe from SL's Machinima and Snapshot Policy, but it might still be smart to know of it. And if someone has listed in their parcel description that they don't want snapshots taken on their land then... maybe it's still smart to avoid painting people there as a matter of course. I've never seen this option used, but I could see it having value in private members clubs or high fashion events, where publicity might be controlled quite tightly.

I've helped on a few art shows that weren't based on photography. A partner of mine made fractal works. Of course initial visibility is the hard part but there's little harm in asking if places* would consider doing art shows - or if they have art shows coming up. PHX (my partner) had a super-good, helpful and well-attended show at Commune Utopia - once you have a few images together, you could ask there!

*The places I'm thinking of include:-

• Cafe's
  • Coffee shops / Meeting houses
  • Book clubs / Philosophy talks
  • Event spaces
  • The places SAUL suggested, above

Go for it with the drawings. Diversity is the lifeblood of the arts. :matte-motes-smile:

Someone sent me a notecard titled "You've been blogged" a few years back when he featured a hunt prize I had made in one of his photographs. Absolutely made my day. It was a good photograph too and really showed off my item in a different setting than I could have visualised before hand.
A few people might get weird about it, but then a few people will find a way to get weird about just about anything. Most of us would probably feel a bit flattered for the attention or just happy to help.

I think most galleries feature photography works simply because there are not many people who can draw good, ones who do it sell their works for waaay more than photographers do. Galleries are one way to do it, if you are just starting with the art and don't usually buy lindens to spend I would say maybe it is better to save some lindens and focus on websites for start. 

Best way to do it is to register on 2-3 websites with many active people from SL, create yourself a nice profile, fill in some important infos and start uploading your artwork. Please, always pay attention to the rating of your artwork - general, adult..., tag it appropriately and submit to relevant groups. Follow and friend other artists, comment their work and be active. Soon you will notice other people comment your artwork, ask questions and, if you are good you will get asked to do some commissioned work. 

I am active on Facebook, Flickr and sometimes DeviantArt. There are many other sites too but if you only focus on one of these you will be fine, its always better to focus on less websites and do it well than try to be present on many and do it half way...

You can also include information about your artwork in the signature here on the Forums (look top right on this page under My Settings, then Personal - Personal Information) - if you plan to post more in the future. 

Feel free to ask here if any question comes up, before "retirement" I used to run pretty big studio and featured many artists, offered classes and tips of how to promote your work and become more knownin the community.

• 4 weeks later...

While I am sure your primary concern is with getting people upset, but you should know that legally you make pictures of anyone you find in SL and do whatever you want with it. I take pictures in world and digitally manipualte them to look like paintings, and I have taken pictures of people and used them. Sometimes they are strippers and if so i'll tip them but theres no obligation to do anything.  I don't know if it's been mentioned bu tyou can open a store in th emarketplace for free and offer your work for sale that way. I've found that most of my sales are to people I catually meet and talk to, bu tbeing able to just send them the link to the store is great.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.