Did SL change their camera?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive been taking some pretty nice pictures in SL for a while now. I often take a picture, then bring it to photoshop to add text and so forth. I just tried to do that today after a little while of not being active in photography. The picture was much smaller. I don't know if SL changed the settings, or something in firestorm,  but its ruined SL photography for me as is. I tried to cut and paste the SL image into a standard 500 x 500 pixel image size and the sl pic looked like a postage stamp on it. When using free transform to stretch the image out it becomes really blury and pixelated. Does anyone have a similar problem or know what is causing this?

I am using the latest firestorm viewer on a windows 7 computer.

Firestorm has several standard sizes you can choose from in the camera control dialog box.  There is also a setting for the pic to be the same proportions as your whole screen and a custom size too that allows you to set the width and height.  All sizes are measured in pixels.  The max size is 1024 x 1024 pixels as that is the largest SL will accept.

Some sizes will look quite small when you initially import them into your graphics program.  However they can be resized larger so you can work on them and then save them in a size SL accepts or just zoom in until the pic is large enough on your screen to work on.  I have no problem doing either, with the programs I use, which are Corel Draw Suite (professional not the home version) and Gimp.  I am sure you probably can do the same in Photoshop.

The size of the snapshots exported from SL is determined by the camera settings. I often take 6016x6016 pixel images, the largest size possible. The default setting is to use the current SL window size for an image, so if you've scrunched SL into a corner of your desktop, you're going to get small snapshots. Either expand the SL window, or open the snapshot window and select a fixed image size, after selecting "Disk" as the destination...

Snapshot Window.jpg

If you select "Custom" from the list, you'll get text boxes for setting the dimensions of the image, all the way up to 6016x6016.

I'm no graphics expert, but I often use a program called Grab (for Mac) to select an area on the screen, rather than using the SL camera. I'm not sure what screen capture app would work on a PC. See: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-pc/  I'm sure someone here can explain how to adjust the viewer settings for best definition. (The Blender icon is just for show, like my running shoes.)grab.jpg

I just upgraded Firestorm today (finally as I was hoping to get the version without the known "issue" :D) ;

After taking my first photos and processing I noted that the file size of the original photos seemed much smaller than previously. So even though I took "high res" shots at 3200 or so which is my previous norm, they were pretty iffy looking when turn into 600 pixel blog post shots.

So I suspect that the newer verison of the camera (not that new really - just to me) with the larger view screen also has higher natural compression. To fix this I took my shot at 5000 and then resized and that worked fine.

That is likely not YOUR issue but thought it might be good to mention.

Ive taken the pictures in the past and they have always been quite large, well over 500 x 500 pixels. I'm not sure of the exact size, but I always have had to size them down to fit into a 500x500 pixel canvas. As I said I havent taken much picture wise since the newest firestorm came out, but the pictures I did take came out at a whopping 128 x 128.

I will have to try to resize them, but i fear this is a total loss. I tried using free transform and they were blurry and pixelated. I don't know why SL constantly "improves" things --or I should say firestorm since its their browser they fiddled with. It was very easy to do before, now I have to reinvent the wheel here just to get a good picture.

Thanks for the help, I'll check those settings and hopefully that will solve the issue.

I'm using the latest 64bit Firestorm (4.7.1.45325), on Windows 7.

In SL I took a snapshot to disk, set the size in SL to 1920 x 1138 pixels.
On inspection I found that the saved image on my disk was exactly 1920 x 1138 pixels.

So, nothing has changed in the camera, it works as it has always worked - at least for me. :matte-motes-nerdy: :smileyhappy: :matte-motes-asleep:

PS. I made another test:

Snapshot size in SL to 4096 x 2428 pixels.
The saved image on disk 4096 x 2428 pixels. Again exactly the same size as defined in SL.
Again I conclude, nothing has changed in the camera.

I sometimes use Grab (which is Mac only) to copy a particular portion of my SL view, but if I want a full snapshot, I'd not use that tool. Pictures taken with the SL Snapshot camera will be clear of clutter like HUDs, chat windows, UI, tags and titles, etc. You can also take snapshots that are higher resolution than your view.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since i updated to the new Firestorm beta i get this expanded camera window. It takes up almost all of my screen and i can't seem to find a way to reduce it's size so i can see my screen. It makes it difficult to take pictures! Is there a way to reduce the size of the camera window? Thank you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.