Art museum

Talligurl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am in the planning stages for an art museum that would feature examples of SL art. I would love to hear from SL artists who would be interested in having an artwork in the museum. I have not figured out all the details, that's part of what I am looking for, ideas from other artists, I want ti to be a way that artists can promote thier art, and thse interested in art can see some of what is available in SL. 

• Like 1

Best luck in your new project Talli! 

I would encourage you to put a lot of thought into your gallery, what can make you stand out from existing galleries across the grid? There are already plenty of galleries both big and small to service the SL population, so what can you do with your projet to make the scene even better!

Promotion and Community are two very important things. For example, Kultivate (Windlight Magazine) provides a ton of opportunities for participating artists to promote their work, whether its renting small galleries on their sim, being featured in their main gallery or magazine, or participating in some of their many hosted events. Having such a robust system of participation which encourages both artists and viewers to get involved. 

Some things I would recommend would be starting a Group and having some sort of events regarding the gallery, either opening shows or featured artists, even special events like live music. It is also good to decide if your gallery will focus on quantity or quality: will you run one show a month featuring a single artist, or will you be constantly showing and rotating dozens of artists. Both methods work, but it is best to stick to one concept so your fans know what to expect from your gallery. Last but not least, reach out to Artists directly; forum posts can seem to cast a wide net, but many artists are quite busy folks with projects both inworld and IRL, so the best way to get people involved is to contact them directly and invite them to either visit or participate in your project! 

Once again, best luck in this new project, feel free to message me inworld I'd love to help out any way I can :matte-motes-asleep-2:

I am really thinking of this as more of a museum than as a gallery, where a gallery is a place where a single artist sells his or her work, which as toy say these are plentiful in SL, and a museum being a place where works from many artists are gathered together for display. I would like to have a way for the artists to be able to provide landmarks to galleries, or links to MP stores or web pages, as well as some basic information about the artist, his or her philosophies about art and so forth. I am thinking that I might attempt to get donations so the art could be purchased from the artists themselves. This however might be difficult as a great many pieces are pricy and to aquire a large collection will be expensive. Obviously as with real museums i will have a way to recognize donors.

I also would like to focus on art that goes beyond the mere retouched photo that is so common, not that these works are not great, many of them are, but I am intrigued by those artists who create art that appears to be painted or sculpted or otherwise mad by hand, but whic exist only within the SL community. I would like to focus on this sort of art.

Sounds very interesting! The kind of place i'd like to hang out!! :matte-motes-big-grin:

I definitely feel like you are correct in wanting to have a Collection of pieces to display purchased directly from the artists, I feel like that concept is most in-line with how real world museums operate. Maybe a good place to start would be creating a exhibit or collection which focuses on Second Life Art History; it would be amazing to have a display of prim-sculpty-art through the years, maybe highlighting famous or influential artists of Second Life's Past. I can imagine it'd take a lot of research but it would certainly be an amazing exhibit, maybe a cornerstone to build on! I'm sure plenty of residents would donate to such a cool project, perhaps people might even donate whole Pieces to enhance your collection. 

Regardless, love the concept, can't wait to see how the project unfolds ^_^ I'd be happy to help in any way, feel free to message me inworld :matte-motes-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.