03-30-2010 06:04 PM
I just released the final version of bvhacker, the free to use bvh conversion, preparing, editing and viewing tool.
bvhacker has two uses for Second Life animators:
1) Quickly and easily performing final preparation of animations for upload to Second Life - an automatic workaround for the loop bug, adding the t-stance with just one click, quick and easy centering of your animation, etc
2) Easy conversion of bvh files to a format compatible with Second Life.
You can download bvhacker for free here:
There is a short tutorial on final preparation of animations for Second Life here:
and another short tutorial on converting bvh files for SL here:
the help files are here:
It's been nearly three and a half years since I sat down to make an animation tool for converting bvh files for Second Life. bvhacker has finally 'grown up' in this version. New features include:
- Ability to undo last operation
- Simple resampling (downsamples to half number of frames)
- Split and enhanced SLify function into to separate functions (Attempt SL bone renaming, Attempt retarget to SL). Joint sizing function now uses quaternion magic for a far smoother conversion of arms axis alignment and joint rotation order
- Added support for bvh files with position and scale motion data values
- Separated display of joint offset and motion translation data. Joint offsets now displayed in joint properties and translation data values are displayed on dynamic sliders.
- Added support to allow the typing in of values for slider X,Y and Z values
- Added support to allow the typing in of values for slider range
- Added support to allow the typing in of values for joint offsets in joint properties (X,Y,Z)
- Added support to allow the typing in of values for frame time
- Center function: centres the first frame of the animation in X and Z
- Tidied menu and removed experimental functions
- Made file open and save dialogs re-sizable
- Global hips rotation is now possible ('standard' ZXY rotation order hips only)
- Added figure head to display
There are also a number of bug fixes and 26 new keyboard shortcuts have been added. I have also started a discussion group for support, bug reports and new feature requests here:
:-Dave Bellman (Davedub)
03-30-2010 06:14 PM
Ooh, Dave! I was using BVHacker about an hour ago, and every time I use it I think, "Thank you, Dave."
03-30-2010 07:48 PM
:-) thanks Osprey, is nice to know the work is apprecited!
I see you have already joined the discussion group - if you have any ideas for new features, please do post them!
03-31-2010 01:38 AM
Personally, I don't have to use it alot but I have used it strictly as a conversion tool to use other programs and even worked with some collada formats. I can totally see needing this more in the future. Thanks for making this, definitely a handy thing considering all the different bone structures out there.