other then QAvimator??

iWiked

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

QAvimator, it is great for beginners..  I used it back in the days and also tried Daz Studio... once you get ahead you'll realize how prmitive QAvimator is.. I now use Maya to animate or create poses but for beginners Maya may be daunting for its complex user interface and would take bit longer to learn than QAvimator.. with a bit of patience you can grasp the use of Maya with all the free tutorials out there including the low cost tutorials by http://createmesh.com

I do know how to create poses but I feel very limited using QAvimator,  I do have free joints off as well so I can make more extreme poses but I recently came across Avastar ? Is it worth getting ? Also I tried googling how to create poses for couples which I did find but ?  How would I test them to be sure they came out the way I wanted ?  I know I have to get pose balls to test them but I don't know much about scripts also I  haven't found a decent page to learn about them or a video source ?

Sorry for the thousand questions :smileytongue:

Also thank you guys for responding !

I do know how to create poses but I feel very limited using QAvimator,  I do have free joints off as well so I can make more extreme poses but I recently came across Avastar ? Is it worth getting ?

Avastar is for Blender only and if your an avid Blender user its worth it..you'll leave Qavimator behind. I myself come from college background studying Maya, 3dsMax so I stick to those..3dsMax is my preferred but have not found very good scripts for it other than SLAV plugin but SLAV doesn't have video tutorials like Mayastar does so Mayastar won my vote..

Also I tried googling how to create poses for couples which I did find but ?  How would I test them to be sure they came out the way I wanted ?  I know I have to get pose balls to test them but I don't know much about scripts also I  haven't found a decent page to learn about them or a video source ?

AV Sitter won my vote for pose making..the author also has extensive guides.. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVSITTER2-REVOLUTIONARY-Multi-Pose-System/2277498

For offline testing poses use http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page ..install on your computer..

Happy learning..have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that QAvimator feels limiting. That may change eventually.

For a free Blender solution, I recommend the following download from Domino's blog:

1. Go to http://www.dominodesigns.info/
  2. On the right side of the site is a list of links that says "Forums", "Primstar", "Download", "Manual", "Avatar", etc.
  3. Click the link that says "Avatar"

This will download a .blend file ("avatar.blend") that contains a nice basic setup of the Second Life avatar in Blender. I think it may be the precursor to Avastar, so it's not as feature-rich as Avastar itself. However, it is decent and I have used it to make a few animations and poses.

• 2 weeks later...

QAvimator is limiting?? In what way??.  I have been using it for over 6 years and can make any animations.  I have been hired by many people in sl to make alsorts of animations.  All have been very satisified with the products.  Infact I have had comments that some of the animations are the best they have seen in SL...this is from 10 years + players.  The only limits are your imagination :).

I have used Daz and blender (both great programmes) but always end up back in QAvimator to get the animations exactly how I want them.  I will agree that Daz and blender makes animating alot easier in ways than QAvimator.

There are alot of functions in QAvimator that many people dont know about due to the lack of litature concerning QAvimator.

Yeah Im a die hard :P.

I've been using QAvimator for a year or so, and I find it great for basic things. It can certainly do the job. Complex animations seem to be a lot of work, but then I've not had that much practice with it as I don't do that many.

By coincidence with seeing your post, I've been watching a few tutorial videos yesterday and today on using Avastar. It's definitely on my 'buy list' now, being  Blender user. Being able to grab and move a limb, and have the joints follow it automatically (is that what Inverse Kinematics is?), would make things a lot quicker for me I think. Compared that is to having to do every joint manually in QAvimator. Plus I can easily use my own mesh as props in the animations. And Avastar does a lot more of course, which I would also find useful.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think Avastar is an expensive purchase, especially since Blender itself is free.

I'll tell you one thing I tend to do occasionally, and that's manipulate the .bvh files QAvimator produces in Excel. The data is easily extracted and inserted into a spreadsheet as CSV. Then I can, for instance, add a new offset (translation and/or rotation) to a joint for a range of frames without having to go to each keyframe and move it in QAvimator. I can even make a smooth movement from a formula that plugs the values into the correct columns. Then I take the data and put it back into the bvh file. It's saved me hours of work a few times and given good results. Again though, I'm not an expert in QAvimator at all.

After doing the above, I wondered about getting a graph of the joints displayed, and even making animations from a manipulated curve. It looks like Avastar does at least part of that as well - it has graphs! I like graphs :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.