.anim or .bvh?

Shaade Fallen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello =3

I recently got into making my own animations and furniture, using blender and Avastar. I began to run into problems however, as some of my .bvh animations weren't behaving correctly within SL.

I contacted Avastar support and they suggested I save the files as .anim instead. I was under the impression though, that people need to use a certain viewer or something for .anim files to work properly? All the tutorials I read said to use .bvh also.

Just want to know if anyone has experience on the subject, and can tell me whether it's ok to use .anim files for animations on furniture that is intended to be sold?

Thankies~

• 1 month later...

Seconding .anim format, animations run much smoother.

At the beginning I was using the .bhv format, as stated in many tutorials but upon closer inspection of my uploaded animations they seemed to be a bit laggy. Minorly so but enough to drive me batty. A fellow creator on the BB group chat pointed me toward using .anim and now my uploaded animations are 100% smooth and play exactly as they do in blender.

One note though, if you do use blender for your animations; if you upload in .anim format you will need to tick the box inside blender to loop an animation, unlike with the .bhv format where you tick the loop box during upload within the SL client.

Happy creating :)

• 5 months later...

If I use Qavimator, I should always save to *.anim to preserve the animation so I can edit it later, right?

Sorry to ask, never knew I could upload *.anim to SL, I always assumed BVH, because Qavimator says "Export for 2nd Life" and saves it as BVH.

• 1 month later...

I made an animation (.anim) in Blender and uploaded it. When I want to play it, it holds the first frame and plays on when I hit the stop button...

it plays to the end, then stops, though I checked the loop button before exporting in blender. Can somebody please give me a hint?

got it, have to set the loop start and ending...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.