Create and edit BVH animations using Blender 2.58a....

Snik Snoodle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For those of you wishing to use Blender 2.58a to create and edit BVH animations, you'll be pleased to know that the Blender developer Cambell Barton (ideasman42 on Blender IRC) has kindly created a fix to the Blender BVH exporter - to allow BVH animations to be exported in the correct format to then be imported into SL/IW/Opensim.

The updated BVH exporter now features a check box to enable "Root Transform Only", along with options to export Euler Native and other arbitrary rotations.

You WILL need to check the "Root Transform Only" when exporting BVH's - to be able to import them into SL/IW/Opensim correctly.

The updated export_bvh.py and __init__.py files are available from:

http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-extensions&revision=2247

These files should replace the existing named files inside the /scripts/addons/io_anim_bvh/ folder.

My thanks go to Cambell for putting up with me nagging him incessantly to fix the issue, along with badgering him on IRC and via e-mail :)

Please note however, so far the revised exporter files have only been tested by me, briefly and only using Blender 2.58a

Thank you so much!!!!!! I was so disappointed when I found out that 2.58 wasn't playing nice and I had to go back and reinstall 4.9 so I could keep animating...this makes me happy! I like what I see in 2.58 and wanted to play with it so now I can.

** Ok, I replaced the files but still not having any luck uploading to SL even after checking Root Transform only. I tried to upload but get file not complete in SL and  when I looked at bvh file it saves as 0kb. Any suggestions?

Hello DMom2K,

Perhaps I should explain what I did in slightly more detail.

I found a bvh file that *would* import into SL and loaded it into Blender using the import BVH option (it was a walk animation with 31 frames).

I then went into pose mode in Blender, selected the hip bone of the imported BVH and exported the BVH to a new file, using the Root Transform Only option and the start and end frame numbers of the animation in the export dialogue..

I then checked that the file size of the imported and exported files differed and imported the newly made BVH file into InWorldz (though should import fine into SL & Opensim too.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking this did not make it into Blender 2.59, as i do not see this "root transform only" in the export options.  Would it just be silly to try replacing these 2 files, with the ones mentioned here, in 2.59.

I'm a blender noob (and loving it) so forgive me if this should me common knowledge

• 3 months later...

Hi all,
I have just created a.blend file with a working IK rig added to it to better work on animations. I will release it shortly BUT i won't give support if not able to handle the needed skills to animate a fully IK rigged character. You will need anyway to install those scripts mentioned above.
If you are interested in IK based animation skills using blender, you can follow my classes at The Builders Brewery, which is based on 2.49 with a guide book available for purchase. In the next future i'll also release a new guide book based on this new version :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.