Blender bvh exporting of animation to work correctly in sl? Can't find any help on this...

kayla Mekanic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've looked everywhere online for a solution...Qavimator is an extreme pain to work with, and I am more comfortable using blender, as I can also see my rigged mesh as I am animating it. Whenever I use blender to export my anim as bvh upload the skeleton with the new bone names which also has the eyes and toe bones (the names are like mPelvis,mHead, ect), I always get an error saying "Unable to read animation file. Incorrect root joint name, use 'hip' ."However, whenever I upload a version of the bones WITHOUT the extra bones like the eyes and toe bones, plus rename them all to the old bone names (hip, rThigh, ect.), It lets me upload. One problem though... in the upload preview the bones are horribly out of place and dislocated and I don't know how to fix it! These are pictures of my character, the first one is with the new bones the second one is with the renamed bones and the third and fourth picture is how it looks in the sl preview. I tried uploading the bvh to qavimator and it does the same thing.

BTW with the rig I'm using the foot bone as the character's lower hind leg, could bone deformation have something to do with my problem? I've been able to upload the mesh with this same exact rig with no problems, but bvh won't work. :(

sl skeleton rig 1 and 2bones messed up in bvh uploadinworld bvh

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Kayla, I don't think I can be of much help. Although I understand how to deform bones, it is not something I've ever done. The only kind of advice that I can give you is to maybe try using Avastar. It is a plugin for Blender. I helped do some beta testing of it and I know it works. Other than Avastar, I've never exported a bvh in Blender.

• 4 months later...

Ive just hit this problem also. If you found a solution i'd love to hear it :). Ive just spent a day trying to fix up a mocapped animation to work in blender and now when it comes to exporting to SL i find i have to remname bones and that doing so is causing limbs to not play right in SL even though in Blender they work just fine. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, will try to answer on the first part of your problem. To find your missed extra bones you should take a look at the file "Anim.ini", located in the viewer's folder. It is nothing more but simple conversion table between the  BVH bone names and the names of SL's skeleton bones. You will see, it does not have entries for these extra bones, so you need to add them and perhaps it would be better to make names for both sides of conversion to be the names of skeleton bones, this way viewer should be able to read BVH's created in Blender without renaming bones.

Don't think i can answer right now about distortions you have after  upload to SL, just have 2 thoughts- your character should have different "T-pose" than one used for default avatar, and the second- hope you do not forget to make this pose "real" in Blender.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.