this guy used darkstorm to take over my group and locked my APPLY in my group, what can you do

THOR Starfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

bayne (vanikk) drake is known to linden labs for hacking into their data base and shutting it down for a short time,,, he has bragged about this to many people not just me.. he owns a illegal viewer called darkstorm that can hack into anybodys account /groups and do what ever he wants like make himself president of my club and lock me and the other owner out .he has returned my group once to me but  3 days ago locked meand the other owner out of our group and disabled our apply button. i have a note card stateing he has taken away my patch/presidentcy and all rights/ ownership of our group that he wrote in local 3 days ago.he is constantly attacking/griefing anybody that stands in his way of his ego.  he has bragged about frying this gals graphics card and a few others  so bad that she/ them will have to buy a new card and possibly have her pc rebuilt from the damage he has done with the darkstorm viewer. he is a very unstable person and should not be allowed to continue his rane of terrorism on innocent sl people

5 answers to this question

Nothing at all.  We are all SL residents, just like you.  We have no special powers (or at least no more than you do). 

It's a little hard to understand what the problem is, though.  If you own the group, nobody can "take it over" unless you have invted someone else to be a co-owner.  Even then, they can't kick you out.  You'd have equal powers.  If this person is a co-owner -- a bad choice for you to have made -- then you can still unlock the APPLY (whatever that is) yourself.  You have the power.

If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 3

This is your THIRD attempt to get help in the answer forum within a day. I see you fixed your capslock issue, thats good! But your chances on getting meaningful, helpful answers will increase even more, if you do not only use the headline to write your question, but make use of the textfield below and explain your situation in more detail.

Right now, I have no idea what you are talking about and can just say that there is no technical way to "steal" someones group.

• Like 1

Thank you for your clarification.  AS I said before, though, there is absolutely nothing that anyone here can do about it.  This is a resident-to-resident Answers site.  None of us is a Linden, and Lindens never come here or respond to anything posted in this area.  All I can suggest is that you continue to submit Abuse Reports.  When you do, however, be sure to include actual specific facts. The information that you just  posted is interesting, but there are no specific dates or times of specific actions that might be violations of the TOS.  (We don't want them here, so please do not post them, but they MUST be in an Abuse Report or it will be ignored.)  Linden Lab cannot investigate a story.  They can only investigate specific actions that are alleged violations of the TOS.

Dark hat viewers can do a few things legitimate viewers can't. But, most of what your talking about is not possible as the SL Servers control those things. It doesn't matter what the viewer tries.

If you have used an uncommon third party viewer, you may have a problem with your account. Some copy-bot and griefer viewers are designed to steal passwords. So, make sure your account hasn't been hacked.

I did a little Googling and found the Darkstorm viewer site.

Darkstorm is not an "illegal" viewer, although it is NOT on the list of viewers that voluntarily comply with LL's Third Party Viewer requirements.  It's a tweaked version of the popular Firestorm viewer (which IS on the approved list.)

The main reason that Darkstorm is not approved is that it contains "copybot" features.  Someone using copybot can copy just about anything in Second Life (except scripts), and from a YouTube video I watched, it looks like Darkstorm can also copy particle-generating scripts (at least.)

Nothing I read indicates that Darkstorm can "hack into anybody's account/groups."  I am not saying that this did not happen to you, but I don't think it was done via the Darkstorm viewer.

It's also possible to use a "graphics crasher" that will cause your graphics card to malfunction and dump you out of Second Life.  Again, this is not a viewer function, but is done with a device that presents a large number of corrupt textures to your graphics card.  I have heard that it's possible to physically damage a graphics card in this way, but I have never seen hard proof of that.  The worst any graphics crasher has ever done to me is crash my viewer, requiring a re-log.

In any event, I do NOT recommend that anyone use Darkstorm, or any viewer that isn't on the approved Third Party Viewer list.  ESPECIALLY do not use a viewer that you have to pay money for.  These viewers not only contain functions that let you violate the Terms of Service (which can get you banned from SL!) but some of them contain malware.  They may be used by the developer to invade your computer and steal your personal information.

And you should Abuse Report the person who hacked into your group, and also Mute him.  If you own any land, ban him from your land as well.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.