Why is Linden Lab allowing copybotters? All methods to report them have been removed

MB Robonaught

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Let me clairify my question:

The selections to report a copybotter/theft have been removed from the file abuse window and search yields no results for filing a DCMA. Does this mean copybotting is now allowed?

Alwin,

I AM the direct victim of a copybotter. I found a car motor I spent over 12 hours a day on in Blender to create. This copied motor is identical to mine, not only including the same colors on the faces but even the small errors I made setting the faces and in setting the vertices. So my “bad mod” is with reason.

With Linden lab removing the option to report a copybotter in the report abuse window and removing/moving the links that I would have never found again but for Rolig Loon’s post, it sends a clear message that Linden Lab does not want to deal with this issue.

It is obvious that one must follow proper procedures in this matter, however, one must first know where the procedure information is. If I, as someone that has been a creator in Second Life for 7 years, am having trouble reporting a theft imagine how many new creators that keep the Second life economy going are going to quit like I may.

3 answers to this question

if you'r not a direct victim of thie issue you can do nothing, and whý would you do something?...and when not involved.....you'r no police nor official investigator.

Who told you something is copybotted? might even be that the one you accuse has a total legal use of the item. Lot of things are sold as template or full perm for resale or use in new builds/creations.

To avoid that everybody with a bad mood starts reporting others for this issue i think the way DMCA is handled now is not perfect but better than everybody can accuse somebody without real reason..

• Like 1

MB Robonaught wrote:

[ .... ]

With Linden lab removing the option to report a copybotter in the report abuse window and removing/moving the links that I would have never found again but for Rolig Loon’s post, it sends a clear message that Linden Lab does not want to deal with this issue.

[ .... ]

I have no idea why you were having trouble finding the link to Linden Lab's DMCA policy page.  If I type "DMCA" into the Search box on any page in the SL wiki, it leads me directly to http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Official_Information_and_Policies_Portal, where all policies are linked.  Or, if I use my friend Google and look for "DMCA + Second Life", the link to the DMCA policy is the first thing that pops up in the list of results.  Or ... the way I usually look for any policies ... if I go to the bottom of the page on any SL web site (like this one), I can follow the link to Terms of Service and then to Related Policies.  That's a least direct route but it gets me to there.

In any case, your lack of success in searching does not suggest a lack of interest in intellectual property concerns at Linden Lab.

ETA:  One of the other places that I think people would normally look is the Knowledge Base (link at the top of this page).  Curiously, however, there are no links to policies in the Knowledge Base, so we can score a non-point there.  However, the other place that residents commonly think to ask is right here in Answers -- which you did quite successfully.  :smileywink:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.