Impersonator hud?

Amarainth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was in a club tonight, and someone in the club was using a hud (or something else) that would, right after I said something, post our name again and a sentence after it as if we were saying more (in green).

Example:

[18:22:13] Amarainth Resident: where is it coming from?
[18:22:13] Amarainth Resident: F*** you motherf***ing bit**es, go to he**!

(in green)(I replaced curse words with astricks to post here)

I typed the first "where is it coming from?" and the second appeared right after, I did NOT type it.

Does anyone know what this object was? Is there anyway to detect who is "Impersonating" me?

3 answers to this question

A quick search of MP showed four impersonator huds on the first page.

I saw one in action once. Nice little tool really if used right. One problem I saw was it showed the user name of the avatar it was trying to impersonate. That's fine if the SL name and user name are the same. Otherwise, if one were using an SL  name, it showed a major flaw. It was easy to pick the phony dialog out of the legit chat.

There are many HUDs and other devices that pretend they are someone else when sending local chat.  You can always tell that it's a device, not a person, because (as you saw) its text appears in green (or perhaps a different color, depending on how the hearer has set her viewer preferences.)

The Firestorm viewer has an additional anti-spoofing feature that inserts the name "object" instead of the spoofer's intended username.  You can enable that in your Preferences...but it only affects what YOU hear, it doesn't affect anyone else, so they may still be fooled.

You can right click the green text and Mute the object sending it.  When you do this, the object's owner is also muted, and will turn into a green cloud.  That way you will know who's been playing this kind of practical joke.  If you're at a club, you then say loudly, "Mr. Stupidgriefer is using a ventriloquist HUD to pretend to be other people in chat.  Please Abuse Report and Mute him."

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.