I'm being spamed by someone?????

Casparsr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't know what the hell is happening, it's all started when I hugged a guy and he told me to get off him I tried to but I was lagging af so I couldn't, I re-loged and found a message from him that says "you'll pay for this" and the spam started
My laptop frozed 3 times, my chat box is being spamed by blank space I can't see anything but blank spaces
I blocked the object but the spam didn't stop PLEASE HELP THIS IS KILLING ME I CAN'T FIND THE GUY

Hello, marigold
Thanks for helping I did what you've told me and there's no lag but the main problem is my chat box, an object that's called dot ((owner is alex1145)) keeps sending blank spaces every single second, I can't read what people type in the local chat box. It's so freaking annoying
And i'm assuming that the guy I hugged (sadly i can't remember his name) is the one who caused this
It's been almost 3 days, and I don't play as often as I used to because the local chat is getting me insane
I'd be so forever thankful and greatful if you help me with this, I really do like SL and i'm addicted i don't want to quit it for this

Dead Rolig Loon, I blocked the object for like million times, it won't stop and I can't find it in my inventory
And yes it's spamming me everywhere I go, I tried everything literally everything but the spam won't stop
I feel like the only solution is to find that guy but it's kinda impossible since I don't know his name

8 answers to this question

Oh dear!

Lets start with ...

Before you login, change your login start location to Quarrel.  This is an empty waterland sim owned by Linden Lab, where there should be no one, or few people, and therefore nothing to lag you.

As there is no "reply" button on this Answers section, to update this thread you need to click on "Options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "Edit". 

If you still feel laggy, it would be very helpful to us so that we can give you more specific help, if you would add into this thread your computer's specifications.  You can do this whether you are logged in or not. On the viewer screen, right at the top, is the "Help" option.  Click on this, and from the drop down menu, select "About", and cut and paste the details from there.

First, mute the object.  That will stop the spam.  Then, at your leisure, delete it.  If it has been spamming you everywhere you go, then the object is attached to you.  It should be very easy to find in your inventory.  If it only spams you in one location, then it is nearby and not attached to you.  Again, locate it and delete it or return it.  Meanwhile, if you have muted it, at least you won't be receiving any spam.

• Like 1

Casparsr wrote:

[ .... ] I blocked the object for like million times, it won't stop and I can't find it in my inventory

And yes it's spamming me everywhere I go, I tried everything literally everything but the spam won't stop

I feel like the only solution is to find that guy but it's kinda impossible since I don't know his name

If the spam is arriving as IMs, then muting it will stop the spam. Otherwise, if it's following you even when you change regions, then it is attached to you.  To find it in inventory, type (WORN without the right parenthesis in the search box in your inventory (or just click the Worn tab if you are using Firestorm).  Everything you are wearing will be listed.  Then, go to a private area and start taking off things one at a time until the spam stops.  Remember, an attached item can be very small, invisible, or inside you, and it could be a very familar object like jewelry or hair.

Well, you know the object's owner, so you DO know the guy!  But muting the object should also mute its owner, so I don't really have much else to suggest except to file an Abuse Report against the object and its owner.

EDIT:  See Rolig's additional response.  Other ways to look for objects in your vicinity...

• Turn on view transparent objects with CTRL+ALT+T.
  • Turn on Show Beacons/Scripted objects
  • If you have the Firestorm viewer, try World/Area Search to find the culprit

However, I have had some objects that, when lost, sent me messages about where to find them, and as I recall, those messages appeared in my local chat.  I'm not sure that an object owned by someone else can do this to you, but maybe it's possible.  Rolig's our Script Kiddy, so perhaps she will have some thoughts on this.

• Like 1

This sounds to me like a rather old griefing exploit, which is accomplished by using conventional lsl.    There is a way to send spam messages from a remote location, and I can think of a way to script the object that would mean that muting it did little good.

Have you tried, though, muting the object's owner (alex)?   I would have thought that would work (when you mute an avatar, that mutes all the objects belonging to the avatar, as far as I know).  

If not, when you click on the "dot" name in your chat box, that should tell you where the object is located.   You should then be able to TP there and AR it and its owner, and hope LL can do something about it.   Maybe the landowner there could assist, too.

• Like 1

Obviously the answers you have been given are by people who know more than me, I have never encountered this. I would though still report to Linden what has happened as an abuse. People should not be allowed to get away with behaviour like this. Hope everything works out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.