How to get a picture of a minor child removed from secondlife

Mia Valentin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Not even sure where to start with but thought i would try here. A rl photo of my minor child (not even a teenager yet) has been posted in secondlife by their father. I have soul custody of my child (one he barely sees or talks to) and have done everything I could over the years to protect her name and identity from people. He has now placed their face in sl for everyone to see and refuses to remove the picture. I know I can contact the photography studio and he can face rl consequence for violating their copyrights. However, this will not remove the picture from SL and can be a long process. I need this picture removed immediately for various reasons the main being her safety. Does anyone know what I can do? 

5 answers to this question

You could try communicating with Linden Lab's legal department, I suppose.  Not being a lawyer, however, I do not know what leverage you have in this matter, or how you might apply it.  Ultimately, this may be one that you and your own lawyer need to sort out.

The only contact information I have that will help you get started is

Linden Lab Headquarters

945 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: +1 (415) 243-9000

• Like 2

I imagine the legal dept would want to see the custody order that could be legally interpreted to mean you have the sole right to say what he can do or not?  In my state, sole custody doesn't necessarily mean the father has no rights. And if it doesn't prohibit something it may be allowed.

What does the custody order say about putting or posting their pic in public?  If it doesn't say anything the the best way to protect your child and prevent it being posted here or on ANY website is getting a RL judge to give an order against it.

• Like 2

I suspect that the quickest (and cheapest) way of getting the image removed from your ex's profile would be to see if the studio that took it would submit a DMCA takedown notice to LL .   That can't hurt, but I suppose there would be nothing to stop him from replacing the photo with one he's taken himself.

Ultimately, I guess the only way to stop him would be ask a court to issue an injunction.    Whether the courts in your or his jurisdiction would be prepared to do that, I have no idea.

As others have said, consult a lawyer.     

• Like 1

To add to the answers above...

You are probably safe and should stop worrying so much. It's highly unlikely your child is in any danger just from him posting the picture (assuming he has and isn't just baiting you), unless he also includes identifying information.

A picture of a random real life kid is not going to garner any attention what-so-ever. 

The only risk will be if enough information is included to identify her amongst the 2 billion or so kids in the world - and in that case it is against TOS and the lab will act swiftly.

But just a picture? No country, no state, no school, no name..... No danger.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.