Help! Griefer.

oxbloods

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was given a gift card by a random user going around the name of 'giftlind' I opened it up, and then I saw it was some TOS to grant permission to take money from my account, as soon as I saw, I closed it. I didn't click deny, or grant permission. I just deleted the object. I feel really scared, can someone help? This is exactly what I experienced. https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Abuse-and-Griefing/I-received-a-card-from-a-gift-avi-registered-today-that-when/qaq-p/2890525

2 answers to this question

Excellent!  You did exactly the right thing.  If you did not grant permission to debit your account, you are safe.  The low-lifes who run this kind of scam count on people being inattentive, or confused, or unfamilar with English.  You have been none of those.  The only extra thing you could have done before deleting the object would have been to open it with your editor, so that the names of the object's owner and creator were visible on the screen.  If you had submitted a photo of that screen with an Abuse Report, Linden Lab might have been able to nail them.  Still, you have done the important stuff.  Keep your eyes open for scams like that.  Unless you know exactly who is asking permission to debit, and why, don't grant it. 

BTW, if you ever have reason to believe that you have let your guard down and accidentally let someone into your account, follow these instructions immediately >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Password-and-account-information/ta-p/700017#Section_.5

• Like 5

Well done!  Since you did not grant the object access to your account, you are in no danger.

Note that some legitimate things do need this permission...if you start a business and use vendors or rental boxes, they will ask this permission, as do games and contest boards that you can set to award prizes.  Account access is a useful function, but as you have discovered, some rotten scoundrels use it to trick people out of their money.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.