Character test?

tabby1090

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is a follow-up to my question about someone changing my shape. I cannot figure out where the Character Test is.

I tried Ctrol-Alt Q according to a post, but this does not work....

Thanks much for your help.

Also, I cannot seem to detach things like eyebrows. It jsut suggests that I edit them.

4 answers to this question

Go to the ME menu at the top of your screen,  Sine viewers may call it Avatar, but it is the first menu on the menu bar.

Go to Avatar Health the click Characte Test.

Certain things you can remove you can only replace them,  An eyebrow shaper, body shape, and skin all fall into this catagory.  If you don't have a replacement, there are replacements for all of them in your Library.  Just wear one and then you can edit it as you please, rename it and it will go to your Body Parts folder.

• Like 1

I think Amethyst's instructions may be for the Firestorm viewer.

If you are using the Official Viewer, then try

Me>Preferences>Advanced and check both the Show Advanced Menu and Show Developer Menu options.    Click OK.

This should cause buttons for both the Advanced Menu and the Developer Menu to appear on the top button bar.

Assuming you do now have a "Develop" button on the menu bar, click on it and then go to  Avatar>Character Tests>Test Male or Test Female, as preferred.

Screenshot 2014-03-05 12.45.31.jpg

• Like 1

Innula and Amethyst are quite right, but here's some additional...

First, "CTRL+AL+Q" is a sort of joke, and it can be cruel when played on a newcomer.  That key combination is for "Quit"...it logs you out of Second Life.  However, in your case it was actually sound advice, because quitting and restarting usually cures a deformed avatar.

Second, Character Test is ONE way to change your shape.  Another way is to simply put on a different shape.  If you don't yet HAVE any alternate shapes, there are some that are a part of your array of starter avatars.  Look in your inventory in Library\Clothing\Initial Outfits, pick any sub-folder, and drag it onto your avatar or right click it and choose Replace Outfit.  You will change into the avatar contained in that folder.

I have not seen your original post (yet)...but there is no way for someone to force a different shape on you, unless you are into certain aspects of BDSM, are using a third party viewer, have the RLV function enabled and have given them permission to control you.  It's pretty hard to do all that without noticing!

However...there is a way that someone can "change" your shape, although it takes a very small amount of gullibility on your part:  They can give you a deformer object or gesture.  (The gullibility part comes in because you have to a) accept it, and b) use it.

If you are tricked into this, your avatar will typically assume a wildly stretched and distorted appearance.  Taking off the deformer object, or deactivating it if it is a gesture, will not remove the deformation, but re-logging will.

EDIT TO ADD:  I looked at your earlier post and it does sound like it is a deformer that got you.  If you are not wearing it, relogging should fix the problem, unless the deformer is a Gesture.  Look in your inventory, and filter it for Gestures.  Look for ones that are active (in boldface).  Right click and Deactivate any that seem suspicious, then relog.

As for eyebrows:  Eyebrows are a bit strange.  They are part of the "system hair"...the ugly, starchy looking hair that can be adusted with the Hair sliders of the Appearance menu.  System hair styles appear in your inventory with the symbol of a little wig.  Most often these days, system hair styles are ones with all the hair sliders set to zero, to make you appear bald.  These so-called "baldies", "bald heads" or "eyebrow shapers" are worn to keep the ugly system hair from poking through our pretty prim hairstyles, which are attachments.  Both shapes and system hair are a type of clothing layer, so they can't be detached.  They are also two of the four layers you can not Take Off, but only replace with a different one of the same type.  (The Four Essential Pieces of your avatar are shape, skin, hair, and eyes.)

If you go into Appearance/Edit Shape, find the Hair section, and discover the sliders are grayed out, that particular baldy that you are wearing is No Modify.  You can simply wear a different baldy, one that IS modifiable or that has brows you like better, or make a new one and adjust your brows with the sliders.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.