Attack deform possible virus?

mauamork

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yesterday I was attacked with a deform attack, and remained in my inventory until the person who attacked me left, would like to know how to look in the inventory to know if there is anything there that would allow or that person has left there to attack me later . The attack deformed all my inventory stuff.

4 answers to this question

Deform attacks are almost aways from something you sit on or is attached to you. Technically something you gave 'permission' to.

Others cannot put things in your inventory. People are often tricked into taking things into their inventory. That 'thing' can remain in inventory until you remove it. Each time you wear it, you'll then have a problem. Once you fiigure out which is the problem item, delete it.

AFAIK, there is nothing that can attack your inventory and deform everything in it. Your viewer downloads a list of your inventory as it is on the SL servers each time you log in. However something you are wearing can deform the avatar and everything it puts on will be deformed too.

This is your first post so I assume you are using the main Linden made SL viewer. It is always a good idea to click the viewer's HELP->ABOUT... and copy paste the info about your computer and viewer into your post. Saves us making bad guesses on what to do and you having to go through all the bad guesses to find the one that works.

If you log in and are deformed, change your avatar to the Test Male/Female. In the top menu click Develop->Avatar->Character Tests->Test Male/Female. If there is no DEVELOP in the top menu, press Ctrl-Alt-Q.

Once you are in the Test Avatar form start rebuilding your outfit by adding items one at a time; shape, skin, etc.. You will eventually find the problem item or have an avatar without it.

Because everything the viewer uses is downloaded from SL, getting a virus is WAY unlikely. The Lab tests content as it is uploaded. So, it is way unlikely a virus can be injected. However, music channels and URL's to expernal sites can be a problem.

• Like 2

There's no such thing as a deform "virus."   Deformers work by obtaining permission to animate you,and then moving your body into a strange shape.  

Scripts gain permission to animate you either by asking your permission explicitly, though a dialog box, or silently if the script is contained within something you are wearing or sitting on.

I don't understand what you mean by "and remained in my inventory until the person who attacked me left."   If you mean the deformation animation continued to play until the person who attacked you left, then that suggests the person used a HUD or something to animate you, but that means you would have had to give it permission to animate you (perhaps you thought it was a hug/kiss attachment, or an invitation to dance).   If that's the case, then there's nothing in your inventory to worry about.

If, however, you mean the person gave you something, which you then wore and it deformed you, then it'll still be in your inventory (but it can't do any harm there).   Just find it (use the recent items tab, and set a date filter) and delete it.

• Like 1

A deformer is usually an object that you wear, or an animation that you are offered.  A deformer can also be a gesture.

Objects and animations in your inventory are harmless.  However, a gesture is NOT harmless, as long as it is active (appears in boldface type in your inventory)  If you see any gestures you don't recognize, and they're active, deactivate them. 

Relogging cures deformations.  There are also many "undeformer" objects available, many of them free.  The Firestorm viewer has an undeform tool in the Avatar/Avatar Health menu.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.