Jump to content

Theia Magic

Resident
  • Posts

    1,478
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Theia Magic

  1. Kascha Matova wrote: Theia Magic wrote: Do not attempt to read between the lines or write words into what I stated that aren't there. I meant exactly what I said and nothing more. However, if you wish to take it a step further and classify Bob as a liar for simply playing a female avatar, that's your choice. I never said "it's not a crime if you don't get caught". I'm saying people have the right to play whatever avatar they please, but if asked, either say you don't discuss RL details or tell the truth. Do not lie. Why so defensive here Theia? I'm not attacking you. I'm not reading between the lines at all. I'm reading your example, line by line, and pointing out that there is no way given your source material to determine what Bob's moral compass actually points him towards, because the matter was never tested. Due to the fact that there is no way to examine Bob's actions when put in the same situation as Fred, you cannot claim to be making a fair judgment on their moral character based on their choices. What you can do, is admit that Bob has been no more honest with the 3rd party than Fred. The 3rd party in both situations is operating without knowledge of the truth. This line here of yours, is at the crux of the discussion however: "However, if you wish to take it a step further and classify Bob as a liar for simply playing a female avatar, that's your choice." And not because it is wrong, but because it is absolutely right. I, just like anyone else, can set my own upper and lower limits for what morality really is, and what moral standard I expect from others. I should not be surprised to find out that others have their own, either. But whether you intended it to or not, your example and advice rewards the ceding of control of one's own morals and actions to the expectations of others on demand. And the only way to be free to define one's own path is to be lucky enough to never be asked to forfeit said freedom. Bob smells like a rose only because it just so happens that the person taking a whiff could care less what a rose actually smells like. Now to your credit, you do mention that there is the possibility that if Bob's partner were to find out the truth on his own, he may react badly. And he may. But that has no bearing upon whether or not Bob has acted any more in the interest of conveying the truth than Fred has. Quite simply, he has not. I don't classify Bob or Fred at all, even as written in your example. I've had "Fred" happen to me, where a generic picture of some good looking guy was given to me without being asked for by someone I was dating who later told me they were actually a woman. Still later, they went back to saying they were really a man. What irritated me was not that they were not telling me the truth, but that they were telling me anything at all. My avie was dating their avie. What else was necessary? "I do not discuss RL details". That's an acceptable answer to those who ask such questions? Without reservations, conclusion jumping, and "fill-in-the-blanks" assumptions that there's something to hide? That seems a little disingenuous, especially in light of the 14K threads discussing those who for whatever reason, refuse to use voice. That's all I'll say on that. And finally, there's always the even more obvious hole in this : "but if asked, either say you don't discuss RL details or tell the truth. Do not lie. " And so the question remains, how would one know that they weren't told the truth? I think you nailed it without even realizing it- you don't know if someone is telling you the truth or not. That is why Second Life is a dangerous place if your RL emotions get involved. I've often joked that only way people will ever know for sure is if they create a new avatar called "BadTouch Linden" who is sent to everyone's home to perform a prostate or pelvic exam to verify gender. Short of that happening- I suppose you don't know when you're being lied to. You can only hope the person claiming to care for you cares enough to be honest. For the record, saying "I don't disucss RL details" isn't a good answer, but at least the person isn't lying. If someone were to say that to me I'd likely assume they were hiding something and decide how to handle the relationship accordingly going forward. However, there are many here who truly don't care about someone's RL information, including gender, so in such a case it wouldn't change anything. BTW- I had the exact same thing happen that you did. Male avatar, claimed to be a RL man, passed fake pictures. I've not known many other women that had happen, I wonder if we dated the same 'guy'. *laughs hard*
  2. You can dig for a fight where there is none all you like, and continue to try to find words in my statements that aren't there. Sorry, but I don't take the bait. In case basic human decency escapes you, it has nothing to do with TOS or any "rule". It's about not being a liar and intentionally deceiving people. Is that really such a hard concept to grasp? ETA: Though completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, I make no claim that I look like my avatar, in fact if someone asks if I'm as attractive as Theia I'd likely laugh as I respond "oh heck no". I refuse to lie. Heck the only woman I know who's more attractive in RL than her avatar in Second Life is Ima. (yes it's sickening but true, she's beautiful lol)
  3. Kascha Matova wrote: Theia Magic wrote: You're missing my point entirely. At no point did the dude in the Adult sim say to Bob "hey, are you a RL woman?". The question was never asked and Bob never offered the information. Bob isn't lying by omission or otherwise. Fred point blank and deliberately lied, claimed to be a RL woman, and even passes along fake RL pics. It was an act of 100% deception for the purpose of furthering his own agenda regardless of how it would effect the person he's with. I'm not saying for a moment the man mounting Bob in the Adult sim wouldn't be seriously ticked if he found out Bob was a RL man, but unlike Fred, Bob never made any claim to being a RL woman. He only played a female avatar and the dude he was with didn't care enough to ask. Moral of my story- if you want to gender bend and play an avatar other than your RL gender have fun, but don't lie. Now, admittedly, I'm not sure what the point of this example above was, but if I am assuming correctly that you are attempting to put distance between the levels of morality of the two characters in question, I'd have to say that due directly to the lengths you've gone to skew the results, you've failed. Either they're both wrong, or neither is wrong. You are attempting to base a moral judgement of each on unequal happenstance completely within the control of a 3rd party. Whether or not the subject ever comes up. Your example tells us nothing about what Bob's "agenda" would lead him to do were he to actually be asked the same thing "Fred" was asked. And, since he wasn't, we can only base things on what we knew both did when presented with identical situations and opoortunity. Which was to play a character opposite their RL sex and become involved with someone else. When this example is actually stopped before it becomes biased and draws a trapdoor for Fred's morality directly under his feet while sparing Bob similar treatment, it becomes impossible to assign an "agenda" to one man and not the other. I could still quite easily make Bob wrong due to guilt by ommission and say he had the same moral obligation to act in his partner's best interest and disclose on his own as Fred did when asked directly. Or, put another way, I could say that Bob showed as little interest and initiative in getting the truth known as Fred did. And I could be secure in that conclusion. Your example concludes one thing. It's not a crime if you don't get caught. Is that your definition of honesty? More to the point, it exhibits distinct "Don't ask don't tell" characteristics. Is that what you want? Then just as in the RL law, don't ask. You won't be told. Same solution proposed the other 38K times this subject has come up. As per your example, that is morally right as rain, so if the paranoid would simply keep their night terrors to themselves the entire moral connundrum would not exist. Or would be easily avoided via E-harmony. (From someone who is not in the target group, is tired of being asked if she is, is tired of there even being a group targeted over such nonsense, and is tired of every new fangled chatroom gadget added to SL that she says "no" to being the direct result of some BS Pinky and the Brain plot to take over the world). Do not attempt to read between the lines or write words into what I stated that aren't there. I meant exactly what I said and nothing more. However, if you wish to take it a step further and classify Bob as a liar for simply playing a female avatar, that's your choice. I never said "it's not a crime if you don't get caught". I'm saying people have the right to play whatever avatar they please, but if asked, either say you don't discuss RL details or tell the truth. Do not lie.
  4. Canoro Philipp wrote: i dont think is morally wrong to be an immersionist. to separate the RL self from a fantasy self. is not morally wrong to live a Second Life as you please to do it, even if that fantasy expands outside of SL. there are no limits set about how much resources can be invested to create a fictional character. if a person believes that a fictional character is true, like many times happens, is not the fault of the creator of the fictional character, is just that that person choosen to believe it is real. some people create a fictional second life not with the malicious intention to fool people, but for many other reasons. I don't see anything wrong with being an immersionist, either. Nor is making Second Life strictly a place of fantasy. However, if someone point blank says to you "Are you a RL woman?" and you are genetically a RL man, and say "Yes I'm a RL woman", and even pass along a fake pic claiming it's you- that's still blatant deception. A lie is a lie no matter how you look at it or what your rationale is for the lie. If you don't want to discuss your RL gender- then say that. "I don't discuss my RL". At that point, the person interacting can make a decision whether or not to continue regardless of RL gender. It doesn't matter what their intent, malicious or not, if you're intentionally and deliberately bold face lying to someone it's just plain wrong.
  5. You're missing my point entirely. At no point did the dude in the Adult sim say to Bob "hey, are you a RL woman?". The question was never asked and Bob never offered the information. Bob isn't lying by omission or otherwise. Fred point blank and deliberately lied, claimed to be a RL woman, and even passes along fake RL pics. It was an act of 100% deception for the purpose of furthering his own agenda regardless of how it would effect the person he's with. I'm not saying for a moment the man mounting Bob in the Adult sim wouldn't be seriously ticked if he found out Bob was a RL man, but unlike Fred, Bob never made any claim to being a RL woman. He only played a female avatar and the dude he was with didn't care enough to ask. Moral of my story- if you want to gender bend and play an avatar other than your RL gender have fun, but don't lie.
  6. Just because you have no issue with it doesn't mean others don't either, nor does it mean they're getting "exactly what they wanted". Just because you choose to live in pure fantasy within Second Life doesn't mean others do, for some it goes way beyond fantasy into very real emotions. If someone trusts another person, and they are blantantly lied to, the person lying is at fault not the person who was deceived. Steve falling in love with Fred, thinking he's a RL woman because that's what Fred told him, is just plain wrong. You can't genuinely care for someone if you're blantantly lying to them to further your own needs and desires.
  7. Well I've been pretty quiet on these new forums, but this one got my attention. I personally don't care what gender avatar a person chooses to use so long as it doesn't hurt another person by doing so. Let me explain. Bob plays a female avatar in Second Life. He gets off on watching two girls go at it and frequents Adult sims, taking part in random one night stands. There is obviously no emotional attachment in such a scenario, and the person with Bob's female avatar will likely never be the wiser the typist is male, so no harm no foul. Ruth plays a male avatar because though born a RL woman, she identifies as a male. She is far more comfortable on her male avatar than she is on in her RL female body. When someone asks about her RL, she simply declines to discuss it, saying she rather keep that information private. Again, no harm no foul. Fred plays a female avatar, because like Ruth, he's more comfortable playing an avatar opposite his RL gender. He simply identifies with being a woman far more than being the male he's born as. However, Fred claims to be a RL woman, even going so far as to pass out fake RL pics of himself and getting deeply emotionally involved with straight men. Bob and Ruth I have zero issue with. Fred I have a huge issue with, because he's being intentionally deceptive. It may be "your world, your imagination" but for some it's also their very real emotions, and having them trampled by deliberate lies is just plain wrong no matter how you look at it.
  8. That is a huge redesign improvment on the sign up page. It looks a lot better and is much more inviting. However, why don't they have furry newbie avatars anymore? They used to long ago.
  9. Be very careful when buying resell items. Copybotting a huge problem in Second Life, and often those items aren't being resold. They're stolen content.
  10. I personally like the parcel windlight settings, especially when the owner sets them to fit the mood or better highlight the sim theme itself. If you don't like them, just hit the button declining them. No biggie. I personally keep my settings on CalWL, everyone looks fantastic and the sky is nice and bright.
  11. Trying to find posts on these new forums will definitely do it
  12. Denver Ghost wrote: Theia Magic wrote: There is no reasons to keep Redzone alive. None. It's the epic failure of copybot detection being as only .025% of banned avatars are banned for copybotting. Then, take into consideration the number of those avatars banned because they were incorrectly linked as an alt to copybotter, the success rate gets even more dismal. As for griefers? Again, do you have any idea how many innocent people have been banned because of bad avatar links? Thousands of them. Thanks to LL's action to make revealing alts against TOS, at least it can't be used to violate privacy anymore. However, it's very important that everyone realizes it's still out there, it's still active, and it's still collecting IP addresses. It's crucial that you leave media and cookies disabled unless you're 100% sure you're in a Redzone free area. Considering the fact zFire has threatened to make the alt list viewable on a website separate from Linden Lab, for payment via Paypal instead of L$, it's all the more reason to keep your IP out of his corrupt database. ^THIS^// RZ is NOT bannedand this headline probably did more damage to the cause against redzone thanall of zfire's protests. Yeah I agree and that's why I added that. It's still very much active and still a threat, especially in the hands of zFire.
  13. There is no reasons to keep Redzone alive. None. It's the epic failure of copybot detection being as only .025% of banned avatars are banned for copybotting. Then, take into consideration the number of those avatars banned because they were incorrectly linked as an alt to copybotter, the success rate gets even more dismal. As for griefers? Again, do you have any idea how many innocent people have been banned because of bad avatar links? Thousands of them. Thanks to LL's action to make revealing alts against TOS, at least it can't be used to violate privacy anymore. However, it's very important that everyone realizes it's still out there, it's still active, and it's still collecting IP addresses. It's crucial that you leave media and cookies disabled unless you're 100% sure you're in a Redzone free area. Considering the fact zFire has threatened to make the alt list viewable on a website separate from Linden Lab, for payment via Paypal instead of L$, it's all the more reason to keep your IP out of his corrupt database.
  14. It’s also important to note that we are going to remove the “voting” feature in JIRA in one month. Today, we do not use voting to triage or to make product decisions and the last thing that we want to do is set false expectations. So, when you are interested in what action we will take on a particular JIRA, use the JIRA “Watch” feature so that you will be immediately updated in email when there are new comments on that particular JIRA issue. We will continue to use the number of Watchers as an indication of the level of interest. Why would you stop counting votes while the vote button is still there and active? It's incredibly misleading to say we must "watch" a Jira to indicate interest but our votes are meaningless. Not to mention some of us don't want our email full of comment spam by "watching". We'd rather check back to see how the Jira is doing on our own. If you want to change the way Jira interest is tabulated that's fine, but don't discredit the votes while voting is still available. Remove the vote button ASAP so people don't think their votes are meaningful. As it stands right now, it's like going to your local primary elections and voting, only to find out your vote didn't count just because you didn't stick around to "watch" the outcome results.
  15. I suspect it's absolutely none of your business if they are using an alt. Get life already. Who the hell cares if they have an alt? Go make your own alt and leave them alone.
  16. Hi Thalia, Unfortunately the only way you can get more prims, is to buy more land. There are 117 prims per every 512m of land. So, if you need more prims, you will have to buy more land. There is no way to simply buy more prims for your land. This is direct from Second Life Wiki: Every parcel of land in Second Life can support a limited number of primitive objects, or "prims". The number of prims a parcel supports is directly related to its size; larger parcels are capable of supporting more prims. Sorry it's not the answer you were hoping for. EDIT: One thing I forgot, you would have to buy more land in-world to own more land. You can use the Land tab in search, and there you can search by parcel size and/or price range. However, keep in mind land in different sims do not share prims. So if you want 234 prims, you would need either a 1024M piece of land or two 512M parcels within the same sim. Parcels within in the same sim do share prims. If you already have a Linden Home, unfortunately you couldn't add prims to it, because you're only allowed one per premium account and can't buy land in those sims.
  17. I smell a troll in our midst (though a damn amusing thread regardless! lol)
  18. That doesn't apply to this at all. No one is advertising anything here, people are simply trying help the OP find the product she seeks. People name creators and other business people within SL all the time on here when giving a reference where to find something a poster seeks. To the OP: I'm sorry I can't give you a good reference for the avatar you seek, but I can tell you not to worry about breaking any rules simply by asking and getting suggetions from others. I hope you find what you are looking for. :-)
  19. Unfortunately, what Irene stated (and you have already done) is the limit to what you can do. As many have said here in the past, LL bans first and asks questions later. Heck, I honestly don't think in most cases they bother to verify the validity of the AR at all. I had a friend who was temp banned not once but twice for gaming traffic via bots- even though he's never had a bot or even an alt. Best of luck to you on getting this resolved.
  20. It will take 5-10 business days for LL to process your credit and send your funds to Paypal when using the Second Life website. Which, I know is ridiculous. I cashed in L$ for US $ this way often back when I had a store on another avatar. Generally speaking, it took about week before the funds hit my Paypal and another 2 days after that for the funds to be credited to my checking account.
  21. "connection reason"? I am assuming it tells you lost your connection to the sim you were in? That could be caused by a problem with your ISP, modem, or router. I would suggest rebooting/cycling your modem and router both. Very often you will get these errors because one of them are going bad. If that doesn't work, I would check you connection/ISP. See if they are experiencing any issues.
  22. More details, please Are you getting any errors, if so exactly what does the error say? You say you can't stay in SL, exactly what happens? Can you provide the specs of your laptop? All this will better help us, help you.
  23. *smiles up at Unklebob, waving wildly like a complete tard* "Hi!! I'm doing pretty well, hope you are too!"
  24. Nuesha, ignore him. Be proud that you are officially far more mature, and intelligent, than a grown man. Every time he speaks he shows the world what ignorant moron he actually is. Small piece of advice: You should never argue with idiots, because they will just drag you down to their level... then beat you with experience
  25. I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but now I have to. Shabnan, it is YOU that sounds like an immature idiot with your remarks. Do you have some magical, psychic powers that allow you to see the OP's gender and age? You can not judge someone's gender, or age, strictly based on the manner in which they type. I've met 40 year olds with the grammatical skills of a 12 year old. I happen to be the mother a 15 year old daughter, and let me tell you, I actually have caught myself chuckling as I read the OP's posts because I can actually envision my own daughter posting in the exact same manner. They're teenagers, they truly believe they 'know it all' and always have to have the last word. Yes, the OP is obviously intelligent and well-spoken (written), which is quite refreshing. Not all teenagers are bumbling morons sleeping through school, talking in netspeak. In fact, my own daughter speaks and writes better most than adults, too. The OP's 'choice of words' didn't give anything away other than the fact she's a smart girl. Your choice of the words, on the other, make you look like a complete moron. She doesn't need to grow up- you do. To Nuesha: You're obviously a smart young lady. Yes, you're getting snarky because you're not getting the response you want from many here. My advice to you is to tell your parents what you did, take your lumps for doing so, and then ask for their help providing LL with the necessary proof to reinstate your account on the Teen Grid. As the mom of a girl your age, I can honestly say if she came to me and admitted that she messed up and asked for my help to fix it, I'd help her. I'd respect her honesty with me about her mistake. If she continued to try to fix the problem on her own, and I found out on my own (us mothers are sneaky like that) then she'd be in trouble for not being honest with me. Give your parents the benefit of the doubt.
×
×
  • Create New...