Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About FagDragMusic

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. A little update: I haven't been able to fix the issue yet. I've experimented with all the things mentioned in this thread so far but no dice. I guess I'll just resort to other tricks rather than using the appearance sliders :I Feel free to suggest something if you have an idea. My last test was (in a new file) adding an Avastar skeleton (object->add), going into the joint edit mode/workflow and editing the bones to fit my mesh, then save the edits and bind the mesh to the armature. Now, as expected, the appearance sliders in Avastar show up red because the joint positions have been c
  2. Someone on the Avastar Discord pointed me to this page: https://avastar.machinimatrix.org/280/help/n-panel/sections/posing-panel/pose-mode/ Which indeed delves into bind poses and when (not) to use them, and with which settings. So I'm going to experiment with that now
  3. Yeah, I've been thinking of editing the joints to "scale" the armature, to see if that somehow changes values to make SL behave, I've read the whole Blender -> Maya matrix difference is.... problematic and has been for a long time now it seems. The joint position box I always tick for avatars with modified armatures such as this one.
  4. Okay, I did more tests and desperate tries (haha) and I think I have a solid theory on what exactly happens: - So the appearance sliders modify the position and scale of the collision bones by a certain amount. Lets say from 0-100% This is very easy to observe in Avastar/Blender, since there's no guff in the way (the cBones debug in the SL viewers could be better IMHO) - This modification value (0-100%) doesn't scale with the armature, because the armature is always required to be scaled at 1,1,1 (hence scale needs to be applied in Blender) - So when an armature is scaled down to 50%
  5. I found this series of blog posts just now: https://adaradius.com/2020/01/16/blender2-81-dae-export-part1/ I highly suggest reading all three if you are having issues with your Blender rig, like I have. I've skimmed through them and it looks like it delves into the nitty-gritty of the issues involved and manages to solve (some of) them too. I'm definitely going to experiment further with the things suggested in this tread as well as these blog post. Like I said in my first post: I want to know what's going on. Hopefully I can figure out what exactly breaks the appearance editor/bones when sc
  6. I do see various values in "bone roll" yeah, I haven't touched them otherwise though. Strangely enough I can't seem to repeat test 1 anymore. Anyone else have some results with that? I'm kinda lost atm.
  7. I have tried that before, doesn't seem to make a difference. Any thoughts on when this needs to be applied?
  8. Yep, that's indeed how I did it. The custom bone properties and selecting "keep bind info" were the key. I've tried test 1 some more and these were my steps: - paste in the Skeleton.Female.blend armature + model - resize the armature + model, apply scale to both - parent the armature to my model using ctrl-P -> armature deform - transfer weights from the template model to my model this seems to work fine in appearance editor. However: if instead of parenting the armature (ctrl-P) i change the armature modifier in my model to use the template armature and otherwise do all other
  9. It was quite the doozy yeah XD It's my own rig, but it conforms to the SL specification as far as I'm aware (hierarchy and bone names, plus custom properties). Only existing bones are weighted, which are the base SL skeleton + Bento tail bones + collision bones for the breasts, belly, butt and lower back. I did some testing this morning in a separate file so I could mess things up without restraint. I did these things: 1. take the template (Skeleton.Female.blend) rig, scale down and apply scale (my avatar is 4 ft), transfer the armature to my model as well as transfer the weights from t
  10. I'm making my second avatar and for this one I decided to implement the bones for the appearance sliders, so that people can customize it more. I'm not using Avastar, since I don't have the funds for it atm and I want to understand what happens "under the hood". Especially with how odd SL can be sometimes haha and I'm making everything in Blender 2.8. I've managed to get the collision bones to work properly, but I've been having a very weird issue with the appearance sliders since the beginning. Let me illustrate, see the attached screenshots for reference: When first opening the appear
  • Create New...