The Manage inventory section of the Marketplace makes it easy to edit your item listings one at a time or in bulk.
To manage your inventory:
- After logging in to the Marketplace, choose My Marketplace > Merchant home in the upper-right.
- Click Manage inventory on the left-hand side.
If you have added an item to your Marketplace listings in the Second Life Viewer, but have not associated it with an existing listing or created a new listing, it appears in the Unassociated tab of the Marketplace listings window. For more information on adding an item to your Marketplace inventory and creating new listings, see Selling in the Marketplace.
To associate an unassociated item with an existing listing:
- Right-click the unassociated item's folder in the Unassociated tab of the Marketplace listings window.
- Choose Associate listing.
- Enter the Listing ID of the existing listing. The listing ID can be found in parentheses next to a listed or unlisted item listing. For example, "Example Crate (3732)".
- The unassociated item now replaces the existing item in the listing. The previously listed item becomes unassociated inventory.
Each of your listings has a status:
Listed - The normal, active status of an item that is publicly visible and available for purchase on the Marketplace.
- Exception: limited-quantity stock items stay Listed after they have sold out, but they cannot be purchased.
Unlisted - An item that is intentionally hidden and unavailable for purchase. You might unlist a product because:
- You are permanently discontinuing the product but want to keep the listing for your personal records.
- The product is seasonal or event-specific and will be temporarily unlisted until the next time an appropriate event comes around.
- You've discovered serious bugs in your product and temporarily unlist it while you address the issue. Be sure to make an announcement on your Marketplace store (and anywhere else on the web you maintain a Marketplace presence, like a blog) to keep your customers informed.
- Unavailable - An item can be unavailable for various reasons:
To edit one of your listings:
- In the upper-right, click My Marketplace > Merchant home.
- On the left-hand side, click Manage inventory.
- Click Actions > Edit next to the item you want to update. You can also click Actions > Preview to see how an item listing looks to potential customers, or click Actions > Unlist/List to activate or deactivate a listing.
- Make the desired changes to your item listing fields.
- Click Update to save your changes.
You can also get to the Edit Item Listing page from the Second Life Viewer by right-clicking the item's folder and choosing Edit listing.
To remove a listing, first unlist the item from the Second Life Marketplace:
- Login to the Marketplace and choose My Marketplace > My Store (upper-right).
- Click Manage inventory. Locate the item entry and click the Actions > Unlist link.
Next, remove the listing from your Marketplace store:
- Login to the Marketplace and choose My Marketplace > My Store (upper-right).
- Click Manage inventory.
- Next to the item listing you want to remove, choose Actions > Delete.
If you want to sell a different or updated version of an item using a current listing:
- In the Second Life Viewer, choose Me > Marketplace listings
- Find the listing number in parentheses next to your existing listing. For example, "Example Crate (3757)".
- Click the Unassociated tab of the Marketplace listings window.
- Right-click an unassociated item you wish to associate with your listing and choose Associate listing.
- In the Associate Listing window that appears, enter the Listing ID of your existing listing and click OK.
- The unassociated item now replaces the existing item in the listing. The previously listed is moved to the Unassociated tab.
To edit more than one listing at a time:
Click the checkboxes in the leftmost column for the items you want to edit, or click the checkbox at the top of the column to select them all.
Tip: If you have a big inventory and want to view or select more items at once, change Items per page to a higher number, like 100.
- Below, next to Modify selected items, choose an option from the dropdown (List, Unlist, or Edit) and click Go. The page refreshes with a confirmation message.
When you search for your item on the Marketplace, make sure you select General, Moderate, or Adult as under Show maturity levels. Unless you enable Moderate and Adult content, the feature that lets shoppers exclude this content from their search results also prevents you from seeing your own listings.
Your listing's maturity level may be automatically updated by the filters we use to scan for incorrectly rated listings. We occasionally update the filter keywords; if your listing contains words in the updated filter, its maturity rating will be changed accordingly.
If you disagree with the automated maturity rating, please contact support.
Listing enhancements allow you to promote an item by advertising it as a "Featured Item" on a highly visible page.
While editing an item listing, you can click the Add button on the right to:
- Feature this item on the home page - http://marketplace.secondlife.com
- Feature this item on a category landing page - For example, Avatar Accessories.
- Feature this item on the checkout receipt page - A shopper sees this page after checking out.
- Feature this item on the L$0 cart checkout ads page - A shopper sees this page after checking out with a L$0 balance (freebies).
For listing enhancement prices, please see the Marketplace fees and commissions.
To manage your listing enhancements:
- Go to the Marketplace.
- Click My Marketplace > Merchant home.
- Click Manage subscriptions on the left, or click Inventory tab > Manage subscriptions. The Subscriptions page shows the details of all your listing enhancements, including where each item is featured, its renewal period, and its current status.
- Find the listing enhancement you want to change.
- Click Edit on the right.
You can now edit your listing enhancement. To cancel your listing enhancement at the end of the current time period, click Don't renew.
- To renew a listing enhancement that you have canceled, click Reactivate.
- To cancel your listing enhancement effective immediately, with no refund for time remaining, clickDelete.
You can view listing enhancement reports, which show statistics on impressions and click-throughs for each listing enhancement you have active:
- When logged into the Marketplace, click My Marketplace > Merchant home.
- On the left, click Listing enhancements (under Reports).
Your store has its own profile that can be customized. You should take advantage of this to promote your brand:
- Click My Marketplace in the upper-right and click Merchant Home.
- On the left-hand side, click Edit Store Information.
Here's what the fields mean:
- Store Name - This defaults to your Resident name, but if you like you can change it to something else.
Profile - Whatever you want to tell potential customers about you in up to 2,100 characters, like who you are, what you sell, and why you do it.
- Examples: "We've been selling in Second Life for seven years and these are some testimonials from thousands of delighted customers!"; "We believe every avatar should be able to have an incredibly beautiful home"; or "Our company's goal is to amplify your awesome."
- Policies - Do you accept refunds? Do you prefer to be contacted via email or IM, or have you hired support staff that your customers should contact? Make sure to state this here so customers' expectations are clear.
- Link to Blog - Link to your blog or another website about your store. Many sellers use blogs to announce product updates. Some even group together and form community blogs, like iheartsl.
- Link to Inworld Store - If you have an inworld store, enter its SLurl here.
Store Image - Click Browse to choose a JPG, PNG, or GIF image from your hard drive. A well-compressed JPG generally works best. This isn't usually a picture of your inworld store but rather of your brand's logo. This small image must be exactly 45x45 pixels, so make sure what you upload is legible. There are web tools like Picnik that can help.
Store Banner Image - Again, click Browseto choose a JPG, PNG, or GIF image from your hard drive. Must be exactly 700x100 pixels.
Your Store Name and Store Image appear on the right-hand side of all your item pages, like this:
The revenue distributions feature allows payments to be automatically distributed among multiple Residents. Distributions are based on percentages, not fixed dollar amounts. For example, say you are selling a car for L$1,000. You make L$700 per each car sold and distribute L$200 per sale to Alice and L$100 per sale to Bob. In this distribution, 20% goes to Alice and 10% goes to Bob.
Control revenue distributions by clicking Add Distribution on the Edit item listing page.
To view your Transaction History:
- Login to the Marketplace.
- Click My Marketplace and click Merchant Home.
- On the left, under Reports, click Orders.
- On the Orders page, specify a Start Date and End Date by clicking the calendar dropdowns.
- Click Go to refresh the page.
- On the right, click Download CSV to download a CSV file that can be read in various applications, like Microsoft Excel.
If a Resident buys an item as a gift for someone else, the recipient's name shows under Recipient. If the item is intended to be received by the same Resident who bought it, you see the buyer's name next to Customer.
Having problems while selling your items? If you can't find a solution below, you can get more help at theSupport Portal.
If a customer requests that an item be redelivered — perhaps they didn't receive it, or lost their only copy — you can follow these steps:
- When logged into the Marketplace, click My Marketplace > Merchant home in the upper right.
On the left-hand side, click Orders.
- Search for the order by Order # or Customer (the Resident's name).
- Click View order or the order number you want to redeliver.
Click Redeliver item.
Flagged items are not removed automatically, and flagging does not affect search relevance.
If an item is flagged, the item goes into a queue. Based on the flagger's rating, the flagged item will move up or down in the queue. People who abuse flagging will be ignored.
If your item was flagged for:
An incorrect category (the most common reason for flagging):
- See if there are sub-categories of the section where your item is currently listed and move your item to a more appropriate section.
- Do not post items in the "root" categories such as Apparel, Home & Garden, etc. unless you absolutely cannot find a sub-category that applies. You might also suggest a new Marketplace category.
An incorrect maturity level:
- Please check the maturity level of your item.
You can change the types of email notifications you receive from the Second Life Marketplace:
- Visit http://marketplace.secondlife.com.
- If you are not already signed in, click Sign in in the top right corner of the page.
- Click My Marketplace at the top of the page, then select My account from the dropdown menu.
- Click Email settings on the left side of the My account page.
- On the Email settings page, under Merchant Notifications, click On or Off next to each type of email notification to set your notification preference.
As a merchant on the Second Life Marketplace, you may receive the following types of email notifications:
- Note: This email is sent after delivery and payments have both been completed on a line item.
- Note: This email is sent when either you or Linden Lab customer support redelivers an item.
- Review alert
- Flag alert
Edited by Jeremy Linden