Landmarks are similar to bookmarks or favorites in a web browser. They record a Second Life inworld location, so you can teleport back there whenever you want.
- Map - Chose World > World Map or World > Mini-Map.
- Using SLurls - Click on a SLurl to display the Place Profile, then click Teleport to teleport there.
To offer to teleport a friend to your location:
- Click MY FRIENDS
- Mouse over your friend's name then click
- Click Teleport
Your friend will see a message offering to teleport them to your location; they can accept or refuse the offer.
You can also use the Teleport buttons in Search listings to access locations. See Search FAQ for more information.
If you don't arrive at your intended destination
If you attempt to teleport somewhere, but don't arrive there, the estate owner may have set up a telehub (teleport hub) to control where visitors initially land. The telehub will be in the same region as your destination, but will generally provide new arrivals with orientation and other welcome information.
Infohubs (also known as a Welcome Area) are mainland telehubs owned by Linden Lab and are shown on the world map. See World map and mini-map for more information.
Check maturity settings
If the land you are trying to access has a maturity rating above that set in your own preferences, then you won't be able to go there. See Accessing Adult land and content for more information.
To find the maturity rating of the land you are trying to access:
- Choose World > World map to view the World Map.
Type the name of the region, then click Find.
The World Map will show the region.
- Hover your cursor over the region on the map to see the maturity rating.
Take off attachments
An attachment you're wearing might be preventing you from teleporting successfully.
- Right-click your avatar.
- Select Take Off.
- Select Detach All.
- Try to teleport to your destination.
Teleport to mainland
Sometimes, it can help to try teleporting to your intended spot from a different destination.
- Click Map.
Type in "
- Click Search.
- Select Pooley from the list.
- Click Teleport.
- After you arrive at Pooley, try to teleport to your destination.
Fly up, then teleport
Your current location may be preventing you from teleporting successfully.
- Fly to an altitude of 200 meters.
- Try to teleport to your destination.
Adjust firewall configuration
If your firewall is blocking outbound TCP port 12043, then teleporting, viewing the World Map, crossing regions, and related activities won't work. See Using Second Life with a firewall for more information.
Reduce maximum bandwidth
Bandwidth settings might be responsible for an unsuccessful teleport.
- Select Me > Preferences.
- Click the Setup tab.
Reduce the Maximum bandwidth setting to the minimum, "
Now, try to teleport to your destination again.
Exit Second Life and log in at your destination
You can set your preferences so that you can choose your login location, and then enter your destination so you appear there when you log in again.
To set your login location:
- Choose Me > Preferences.
- Click the General tab.
- Under Start location, choose Show on login.
- Click OK.
- Choose Me > Exit Second Life to log out.
Then, start the Second Life Viewer again, and:
- In the login screen, under Start at, choose <Type region name>.
- Enter the name of the region where you want to go; for example, Pooley
- Click Log In.
Now you will log in at the region you entered.
Check for Network Lag
If you are still having problems teleporting, your connection may be too slow. For more information, see How to improve Viewer performance - Troubleshooting tips.
To use an existing SLurl:
- Click this example SLurl.
- On the page it takes you to, click Visit this location to open it in Second Life.
To make a new SLurl:
- Move your avatar to where you want to create the SLurl.
Click the place name in the location bar (near the top of the Viewer window) to convert it to a SLurl. It'll look like
- Right-click and Copy the SLurl while it's selected, or use Ctrl+V.
- Paste the SLurl where you want it.
Alternatively, you can also use the World Map to get SLurls:
- Select World menu > World Map.
- Click Copy SLurl.
- You can also enter another place on the map, then click Copy SLurl to get a remote SLurl.
To convert a landmark to a SLurl:
- Select Me > Places.
- Right-click a landmark and select Copy SLurl.
- Paste the Slurl where you want it.
To convert a SLurl to a landmark:
- Click or otherwise use the SLurl to get to its location.
- Select World > Landmark This Place. The landmark is saved to your inventory.
There are three types of land you can set as your home location:
- Land you own
- Land set to group access for a group to which you belong, if you have the necessary ability. For more information on group land, see Group-owned land. For more information on group roles and abilities, see Creating, managing, moderating, and disbanding groups.
To set your home:
- Move your avatar to the chosen location.
- Use World > Set Home To Here. A message appears confirming if your home is set successfully.
You can always teleport straight to your home location by using World > Teleport home.
By default, you will always login at your last location inworld. You can also set your login location to be your home and whether to display the option in the login screen. See Change your login location.
Edited by Jeremy Linden