Sign in to follow this  

Enhanced Avatar Physics

jmAq4PxfSYU

Enhanced avatar physics enables you to customize the way your avatar's breasts, belly, and butt bounce and sway in response to your avatar's movements. You can make the effect subtle and realistic, or wild and crazy -- whatever you want.

If your avatar uses this feature, your avatar physics movement is visible to anyone using Viewer 2.6.3 or later. Anyone using an earlier version of the Viewer cannot see avatar physics movement.

The following video shows identical avatars all using Enhanced Avatar Physics, but at different levels -- low/mid (left), high (middle), and off (right):

If you don't want this feature to affect your avatar, don't worry -- you don't need to do anything to keep your avatar the same as it's always been. Your avatar won't move any differently unless you put on a physics wearable item, as described below.

Using enhanced avatar physics

To add enhanced avatar physics to your avatar:

1. Open the My Appearance side panel tab.
  2. Click the Gear icon  at the bottom.
  3. Select New Clothes > New Physics.
  4. Editing_physics_butt_bounce.pngClick the body part parameter you want to change. Note: If your avatar is male, you can only modify your belly and butt.
  5. Move the sliders to change the parameters for the body part.
    Tip: Click the ? at the top right to learn what each slider does.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each body part parameter you want to change.
  7. At the top, enter a name for this set of physics parameters.
  8. Click the Save button at the top when you've finished.

You are now wearing an enhanced avatar physics item. As you jump, crouch, dance, or move around, your avatar's breasts, belly, and butt bounce and sway the way you specified.

Tip: If you start your avatar dancing before you create or edit your physics item, your avatar will continue to dance, and you can see the effect of your changes as you make them.

You can wear, take off, edit, and create physics items like any other clothing item, except that you can only wear one physics item at a time. To learn more about using clothing items, see Editing your appearance.

Hiding or turning off enhanced avatar physics movement

If you don't want to see any avatar physics movement, including your own, you can disable it in your Viewer:

1. Open the Me > Preferences > Graphics tab.
  2. Click Advanced.
  3. Move the Avatar Physics slider to the lowest setting.

This only prevents your Viewer from showing you avatar physics movement. If you disable avatar physics in your Viewer but your avatar is using a physics item, others can still see your avatar physics movement in their Viewers.

If you don't want others to see your avatar physics movement:

• Don't wear a physics item, or
  • Wear a physics item, but set the slider for every Max Effect setting to 0.

Frequently asked questions

Can other people make my body parts bounce?

No, absolutely not. That's one of the great things about this feature: you have complete control over how you appear to others.

If you don't want your body parts to bounce or sway, you don't need to do anything to turn the feature off -- unless you choose to wear a physics item, you'll look the same as you did before .

How do I make sure enhanced avatar pPhysics doesn't slow down my computer?

If you think Enhanced Avatar Physics is causing lag, you can control the frequency of avatar physics-related updates:

1. Open the Me > Preferences > Graphics tab.
  2. Click Advanced.
  3. Move the Avatar Physics slider to the desired setting.
    A lower setting decreases the update frequency, so avatar physics movement will be jerkier. A higher setting makes movement smoother but may decrease performance. The lowest setting turns off Enhanced Avatar Physics.

I can't get my avatar to look the way I want. Are there suggested settings?

We don't have suggested settings, because avatar physics is all about customizing your avatar's appearance in the way you want. However, since Enhanced Avatar Physics is a wearable item, there is an opportunity for clothing designers to offer physics wearables with customized settings and behavior. Watch the Marketplace for Enhanced Avatar Physics wearables!

Why don't my attachments move with my breasts, belly, or butt?

This is a technical limitation. There is currently no way to create an attachment point that moves with your breasts, belly, or butt, so attachments can only move with your internal avatar skeleton.

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Two more FAQ questions to add:

1: What are the viewer requirements for others to see the effects of your wearable physics items? 

In other words, previous viewer changes introduced features that users of older Viewers may or may not see. Someone using the 1.23.5 Vewer, for example, can't use avatar alpha layers themselves, but could still see the effect on others who were using the newer viewers and an avatar alpha layer on their avatar. But older viewers can't see mesh features at all.

What is the minimum viewer requirement for seeing others use avatar physics, and is there anything that others need to do to see this new effect?

2: If you don't want to see other people 'jiggle', can you turn off the effect in your own viewer?

Does moving the "Avatar Physics" slider to the lowest setting in my graphics settings affect how I see everyone else, or how everyone else sees me? Or both?

Share this comment

Ceera -- Thanks for your feedback! I've updated the article to answer your questions. Please comment again if anything isn't clear.

Share this comment

One minor clarification needed now, regarding changing your viewer's avatar physics graphics setting.

Am I correct in assuming that a zero setting turns it off, max setting shows the full extent of movement that the wearer's item defines, and the in-between positions damp down what you see of everyone's movement by varying degrees? (I expect that is how it works.)

Or is it an on/off choice, where any setting other than zero has the effect full on?

Or (least likely or desirable) is 'full effect' somewhere in the middle of that slider setting range, with max effect exaggerating what the wearer defined?

I may have time later today to actually test this myself, on a couple of OS platforms. So far I am just commenting on what I have read.

Share this comment

The avatar physics (AP) slider in your graphics preferences controls the frequency of movement updates in your Viewer. (Hopefully, the fact that it's a slider and not a button makes it clear that you can select in-between positions.) A low setting means the AP movements look jerkier, since the updates are less frequent. A high setting means the AP movements look smoother.

So the AP slider doesn't "damp" the movement -- you still see the full range of motion unless you have the slider set to 0. The AP slider only affects smoothness of the movement.

Hope that helps!

Share this comment

"Please note: This feature is in beta, and is not yet part of the default Viewer."

This feature is a part of default Viewer from 2.6.3 (227447) which has been realised this week.

Share this comment

The "Gain" still comes across as a fairly mysterious parameter.

As I understand it, a more accurate description would be something like, "Gain adjusts the force of the movement, making it faster and more significant compared to other forces (like gravity)."

As is, the "higher is larger" explanation doesn't really explain much, and doesn't differentiate it from Max effect unless you already know what it is doing.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that Bounce/Cleavage/Sway are really other names for the X/Y/Z axes, and that each slider adjusts the movement in one dimension.

-This may be too "technical" for a general help text, but then, we're already rather deep in tech jargon with something like "Gain", and it makes a lot more sense in my mind to actually know what the parameters do when I try to adjust them, than having them couched in normal-language-but-not, having to reverse-engineer that.

Share this comment