The unit of trade in Second Life is called the Linden dollar or L$. You can purchase Linden dollars both inworld and online on the LindeX. Linden dollars are used to buy and sell content in Second Life, to purchase land, to tip or pay other Residents for services, and many other things. Some Residents earn enough Linden dollars inside Second Life that they choose to convert their L$ into a US dollar (USD) credit on their Tilia account by selling their Linden dollars on the LindeX.
They can then use their USD account credit to pay for Second Life services like subscriptions or land fees, or they can choose to send those US dollars to their real life accounts via something called a process credit request.
For more information on how to use a USD Tilia account credit to pay fees or to request it be sent to a PayPal or Skrill account, please see Account balance.
To buy Linden dollars in the Second Life Viewer, click the BUY L$ button next to your current Linden dollar balance. In the BUY L$ window, simply enter the number of Linden dollars you want to buy and click Buy Now. Buying Linden dollars inworld yields the same value as a market buy on the Second Life website.
The LindeX is the official virtual exchange of Second Life run by Linden Lab where you can:
- Buy Linden dollars for the current market rate.
- Make limit buy offers at a requested exchange rate (or better).
- Sell Linden dollars.
For a list of accepted payment methods and currencies, see Billing.
All LindeX transactions are subject to transaction fees.
Market buys and sells are the quickest and easiest ways to purchase or sell Linden dollars on the Second Life website. LindeX automatically matches your order with the best exchange rate. The quoted exchange rate includes transaction fees.
To set up a market buy:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/buy.php.
- Enter either the quantity of Linden Dollars (L$) you wish to buy or the quantity of US Dollars (US$) you wish to spend.
- Click Place Order.
- Enter your Second Life password when prompted.
To set up a market sell:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/sell.php.
- Enter the Quantity of L$ you wish to sell.
- Click the Sell button.
Limit Buys (Best Rate Buy) and sells allow you to specify the amount of Linden dollars and the exchange rate you are willing to accept. LindeX automatically matches up buy and sell offers as they come in.
If you are buying, you will be charged immediately for the purchase. The order may be cancelled by going to LindeX Order History. If the order is canceled, the funds will be returned to your Second Life account's US Dollar balance.
To set up a Limit Buy:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/buy.php
- Under Best Rate Buy, enter the Quantity of L$ you wish to purchase.
- Next to Exchange Rate in L$ / US$1.00, enter the minimum exchange rate you will accept.
- Click Place Order.
- Enter your Second Life password when prompted.
To set up a limit sell:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/sell.php
- Under Offer to Sell Linden Dollars (Limit Sell), enter the Quantity of L$ you wish to sell.
- Next to Exchange Rate in L$ / US$1.00, enter the maximum exchange rate you will accept.
- Click Offer to Sell.
If you change your mind about how many Linden dollars you wish to buy or sell, or the rate you are willing to accept, you can cancel an offer in progress on the LindeX: Transaction History page.
You can earn Linden dollars by selling goods or offering services to other Residents. If you're interested in becoming a merchant, read about Selling in the Marketplace. Check out the Guide to Jobs in Second Life for a tour through some of the jobs our Residents have come up with.
If you bought Linden dollars (L$) through the LindeX as an Instant (Market) buy, they should show up fairly quickly. In certain instances, it can take up to 25 minutes for Linden dollars to arrive after purchase. If they haven't arrived within 25 minutes, please check the Second Life Blog to see if we're already aware of the problem and working to fix it. Chances are good that if it's something that affects a large number of Residents, we're already on it.
If it looks like a problem that only affects you, then please contact our Support team for assistance.
|Is it possible that you made a Best Rate (Limit) Buy instead of a Market Buy? Limit Buys can take significantly longer to complete because they have to find Linden Dollars available at the rate you've specified. If you selected a rate that doesn't match available Linden dollar sale offers, your order will remain open and unfilled until someone sells L$ at the price you've selected.|
The rates quoted on the LindeX are approximate estimates, and not a guarantee of an exact transaction amount.
When a market order is placed, the order is filled with the lowest-priced L$ available at the time the order is placed. The market is very active, so an order seen as available might be gone by the time you place a new order.
If you'd like to purchase L$ at a specific price, consider placing a limit order.
See Billing and Trading Limits to check your limits and ensure that your difficulties are actually related to your billing and trading limits. Your level will be highlighted if you're logged in.
If this does appear to be the difficulty, you may request a review of your account to increase your limits by submitting a support case:
- Under Issue Type select Billing.
- Under Billing, select LindeX Limits Review.
- Fill out the remaining fields as instructed, then click Submit.
We'll review your request and get back to you within five business days.
Don't panic! If you just logged in and your L$ amount, shown in the upper-right corner of the screen, says "Loading", it just means your L$ balance hasn't been loaded yet and will eventually appear. Sometimes, this is due to server issues, when we're experiencing heavy load and the data can't be retrieved quickly.
Remember, while you wait inworld, you can also check your Linden Dollar balance on the Your Account section of the website.
If you have waited five full minutes and your L$ balance still reads as "Loading", you can try the following tricks to try to force your balance to appear:
- Teleport to another Region.
- Log out of Second Life, and then log back in, preferably in a different Region. Giving the viewer a second chance to load your information often resolves the problem.
- Ask a friend to pay you L$1. If you're really nice, give it back afterward!
- Try bulk uploading a single image, sound, or animation. Make sure only to try to upload one item! Each attempt costs you L$10.
Obviously we don't expect you to spend large sums of Linden dollars in order to find out how many you have; if your problem persists, you should file a help ticket via our Support Portal.
Second Life Residents with a Basic account may only view transactions up to 30 days old. However, Premium members can view transactions up to 90 days old. You can also download all currently viewable transactions as an Excel spreadsheet for later reference. To download your transaction history:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/account/transactions.php
- In the Date Range field, choose choose a range that starts at the earliest possible date
- Click the View button
- View your transactions or download them in CSV, XML, or XLS format.
I have sold Linden dollars. How do I transfer my money out of Second Life?
You may choose to credit your US dollar balance via PayPal or Skrill. To process a credit transfer, go to Process Credit. For more information about your options and limitations, see Account Balance and the Tilia FAQ.
There are two modes to use the LindeX at secondlife.com: Basic and Advanced. Basic mode shows simple LindeX market data, and Advanced shows all available LindeX market data, including available rates. To view advanced LindeX market data and be able to use the Best Rate option to buy Linden dollars, edit your L$ Exchange Settings to enable Advanced mode.
- Login at secondlife.com to visit your Account Dashboard
- On the left, under Linden Exchange, click Manage
- Click L$ Exchange Settings
- Select the radial dot next to Advanced (displays all market information)
- Click Submit
The Best Rate Buy (Limit Buy) option will now appear on the Buy L$ page.