Land and other content in Second Life is rated General, Moderate, or Adult. By default, new Residents aged 18 or older have access to General and Moderate content, and Residents aged 16 or 17 have access to General content. See Maturity ratings for more information about Second Life's rating system.
If you are 18 years or older, you may access adult content after enabling it in your viewer preferences.
Even if you are 18 or older, you still need to opt in to view adult content. You also need to use Viewer version 1.23 or later to access the maturity preferences. Download the latest Viewer.
Log into Second Life, then follow these steps in the Viewer to set your maturity preferences:
- Choose Me > Preferences (or Ctrl-P) and click the General tab.
Choose General, Moderate, Adult from the I want to access content rated: dropdown menu.
- Click OK.
Landowners may also restrict access to their land to those with payment information on file with Linden Lab. If you have purchased Linden dollars (L$) or bought something on the Marketplace, you already have payment information on file.
If you do not currently have payment information on file, or if you are unsure:
- Log in to your Account page on the Second Life website.
- Select Billing Information under the Account section on the left side of the page.
- Select Add a Credit Card, Add a PayPal account, or Add a Skrill account.
- Enter either a credit card number, a Skrill account, or a verified PayPal account.
Setting up a payment relationship with Linden Lab does not constitute a purchase; you will not be charged for placing your information on file with us.