All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I have very little experience with texturing, specially BoM stuff, so lately I've been breaking my brain trying to create textures that dont show a visible seam between parts of the body. If I try to project the texture using the uv map, I get this result where theres a very weird distortion between the feet and ankles: And if I try to project the texture directly on the object, I still get some seams, now in different places: I have seen some tattoos that go through uv lines, so I think there must be some trick out there to get something seamless, but maybe Im wrong. Anyway, any help is appreciated.
  3. What facts am I changing, Luna? I said that dopamine makes people feel good and that a dopamine high can be addictive. My point was that just because an activity feels good, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's healthy or that it increases one's resilience to stress. I also get irritated by how you act like your views and practices are always right, always the best. No one is always right or always the best. That's narcissism. Even if you dress it up with pretty rainbows and new age psychobabble, it's still narcissism. You're taking what I said out of context and adding addiction psychobabble. I was advocating that people do what feels good in SL in order to build resiliency. I think you're forgetting the "in order to build resiliency" part. How could getting drunk or engaging in addictive behavior further resiliency? It can't, because it's self-destructive behavior - it's escapism and takes people down a long, dark path -- totally opposite from resiliency. Of course, yes, it's not good to run your life on dopamine highs. But again, this is not what I ever meant so there was no need to point that out! It's not "narcissism" to point out that you misinterpreted me.
  4. What facts am I changing, Luna? I said that dopamine makes people feel good and that a dopamine high can be addictive. My point was that just because an activity feels good, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's healthy or that it increases one's resilience to stress. I also get irritated by how you act like your views and practices are always right, always the best. No one is always right or always the best. That's narcissism. Even if you dress it up with pretty rainbows and new age psychobabble, it's still narcissism.
  5. You know darn well that I'm not dismissing Science. I'm simply pointing out that Science (including soft the sciences such as psychology) is dynamic. There are very few absolutes in psychology. It's a relatively new science with constantly evolving theories. Trying to make sense of human behavior is also not as simple as proving the Earth is round(ish) or that light has properties of both a wave and particles. Every addict I have ever known has been miserable, felt out of control, and fervently wished they could have their life back again. I don't even need Science to know addicts are not happy people. Why you are trying to change these facts because you don't totally trust soft Science is beyond the pale. This is the last I'm speaking about addiction, griefers, and stalkers. If you really want to talk about addicts and other self-destructive people in SL so much it would be nice if you started your own thread. This thread was supposed to be about positive attributes of SL we engage in and want to share with others, and noting how we're better for it.
  6. Today
  7. You know darn well that I'm not dismissing Science. I'm simply pointing out that Science (including soft sciences such as psychology) is dynamic. There are very few absolutes in psychology. It's a relatively new science with constantly evolving theories. Trying to make sense of human behavior is also not as simple as proving the Earth is round(ish) or that light has properties of both a wave and particles.
  8. The bonus could be a gift card --- so the person buying it can use it for any item of their choice.
  9. Well you have fun Luna. I'm no longer engaging in your attention seeking behavior. I should have bowed out when love did. Have fun with your thread.
  10. Some adolescents grief a lot, cause trouble -- it's almost expected of them. But it's because they actually don't feel empowered as they try to move into adulthood...they're in pain. They think it's fun to punish others for the pain they believe the world is causing them. Unfortunately too many never leave adolescence emotionally. My friend who is being stalked by this guy because she broke up with him...for like a decade. He's emotionally ill, can't let go, and only wants to punish her now. What someone is in RL usually manifests in SL, whether they consider it a game or not. But we're going off-topic here. I don't want to process the worlds of griefers and stalkers anymore. As I said, I want to focus on the positive aspects of SL.
  11. I got this free deformer set on MP today for my alt Alycia. The shoulder deformer in it called "please fix my shoulders - Lower 4" works well for her Maitreya Lara and doesn't look bad on LaraX either. I'm planning to get this set for all my female avatars. Some poses and animations still don't look great with this deformer, but overall, the look is better.
  12. Me....go off-topic? Never! I'm just adding greater detail and depth...lol.
  13. Things change over time. That's true. I tend to read studies -- studies that control for variables well so are more likely to be true. To dismiss Science completely because it changes when new information comes out, or become some of it is false having not been done correctly, is short-sighted on your part.
  14. Persephone...really? It's not narcissism to believe we actually DO have some healthy ways to build resiliency in SL and request that others reveal those. This is how we learn from others...learn what's in SL that is good for us. Why the two of you (or three) have gotten off on this addiction kick is beyond me. I was not, nor would I ever, propose that people become addicts in SL! Yes, my views are right...yes! -- my views are that I want people to enjoy SL in a healthy way, and for us to talk about it on this thread. If you like to experience addiction that's fine...but it's not what I ever wanted to advocate here.
  15. You can post a topic and hope it stays on topic. A normal thread will have twists and curves otherwise every thread would be boring. You very often go on a tangent and go off topic on a thread. Shall we point that out when you do it?
  16. OR they are just having fun in a game they don't take seriously.
  17. You again, are discrediting people's responses and attempting to make people post what you want and the way you want. That's not how forums work. I set the topic -- please read my opening paragraph. People need to stick to the topic. The topic is, how do we utilize SL to cope with stresses (building resiliency in the process). Do you think Kipling was wanting people to know how to be griefers and stalkers with his poem? lol
  18. I would disagree with you. A griefer in SL usually does it for fun and games. It's only negative to the one being griefed if they see it that way. YOU might read up on that. A person who chooses to bother others (griefing or stalking), manifesting discord and destruction in the world as opposed to behaving in a constructive manner, is unhealthy. From what I've read about their psychological make up they lack purpose due to believing they can't fulfill positive life goals. Often they've felt thwarted in some way and don't know how to deal with that pain, so they act out in a destructive manner, often punishing people they think are responsible for their pain (even symbolically, as often the person in the present they punish is a stand-in for someone who hurt them in the past).
  19. You again, are discrediting people's responses and attempting to make people post what you want and the way you want. That's not how forums work.
  20. Playing in SL (and even engaging in a dramatic forum thread) feels good because this behavior creates dopamine. Sex, gambling and shopping can also create dopamine. This is what makes these kinds of activities addictive. Those of us who have been in SL for years know it can be addictive. Sometimes we have to step back and resist that drive to dive into this lovely fantasy world because, even if it feels good, too much of a good thing might not be good for us. What I got from @Cinnamon Mistwood's posts wasn't that trolling or griefing is a healthy coping mechanism, but that everyone has different ideas of what they believe is fun or healthy, and it's not healthy to believe that your views are right, to the exclusion of everyone else's views. That's just narcissism. Psychology also doesn't know everything. Like all sciences, it's a bunch of theories competing for acceptance and dominance. Lobatomies and shock therapy were once considered cutting edge psychological medicine. (No pun intended.) Now psychiatrists debate over whether ADHD meds and SRIs actually help patients or not. People try different treatments to see what works for them, but there's no guarantee that what seems to help one person will help someone else.
  21. I would disagree with you. A griefer in SL usually does it for fun and games. It's only negative to the one being griefed if they see it that way. YOU might read up on that.
  22. No, not everything that makes one feel good in SL increases resiliency. I suggested earlier having a drink or edible while playing in SL, but having several drinks everytime one goes into SL might be a sign of alcoholism. Some people on this forum seem to enjoy acting negative and insulting others. This probably makes them feel good in the short term, but it's not an ideal way of coping with life's stresses. Some people feel good in by shopping in SL, but if this hobby costs them several hundreds of dollars each month, that may be a sign of a shopping addiction. As has been suggested elsewhere on the forums, RL gambling and sex addictions have SL versions that can also be damaging. I'm not, nor have I ever been, talking about addictive behavior. I'm speaking to healthy ways of feeling good in the world -- finding joy in various pursuits, relaxing when needed, taking care of oneself, getting support from other healthy friends -- all this can be found in SL. What I've described has nothing to do with addictive behaviors or those who utilize negative types of defenses that might relieve pain in the present but end up being harmful. And I'd never say people feel 'good' when utilizing a negative defense -- I'd say they feel a relief...they've escaped some pain. But that's not feeling good...it's escapism. But in any case, again, I want to know the ways people utilize SL in healthy ways (so this doesn't include being an addict, a griefer, or a troll). What next, are we going to validate serial killers and stalkers here? lol
  1. Load more activity