All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Until someone sees it for themselves, it matters little anyway. A trusted friend might put the idea in one's head that too much time is being spent on an activity and that perhaps friends and family are starting to suffer from neglect alongside other negatives, but until the addict sees the reality of it themself and seeks out help, little benefit will result.
  3. I don't think we actually need to draw a sharp line between what is an alcoholic vs. someone who's alcohol dependent here. The discussion was on whether Second Life is addictive for some people, not on whether people in SL are or were alcoholics. Video games are thought to be addictive through much the same neurochemical mechanism that gambling is addictive. It's not through a chemical dependence on alcohol or nicotine, but through a reaction to dopamine. Dopamine dependency is easier to overcome than a classic drug dependency because it's a neurochemical that the brain creates and regulates naturally. Substitution for other activities that create dopamine, such as physical exercise can help with the neurochemical aspect. There are also personal psychological factors to addictive behaviors, however, which might be better addressed through therapy than through a game forum. For myself, I think SL gives me a virtual environment that feels safe, free and pleasant vs. a physical world that doesn't always feel safe, free or pleasant. SL lets people express themselves freely. It lets people interact with other people easily, and also lets them avoid interacting with people easily should they wish to do so. I think much as eating junk food can feel good and be addictive, so can SL, but this doesn't necessarily mean that people who enjoy junk food or SL are addicts in the same way as one might have a drug or alcohol addiction. Playing in SL might also be a coping mechanism for some people, but this doesn't necessarily imply that this is a maladaptive coping mechanism for them.
  4. True that, but if we don't make a distinction on the nature of that gorging or the seriousness of it we aren't able to treat it accurately.
  5. Hmmm...you seem to have trouble with any source I cite except the Kathlen Onyx source. In any case, since you seem to have trouble with citing WebMD as a source (fair enough, some do) would this information be more to your liking regarding high-functioning addicts? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3883816/
  6. Gorging is gorging. But I'll add that the only thing more certain than death and taxes is change.
  7. Sure and I know there are some creators who spend all their time on photoshop and blender to a point it would be considered workaholism. Some that spend all their time on the forum, some all their time inworld on various activities. Plenty of addictive style behaviours to go around. Yes, and this just demonstrates that we need to be careful when labeling others as having an 'addiction'. With the person I cited he self-labeled himself as having the 3 addictions. 'Addiction' is a very serious condition, and we minimize its seriousness by labeling habitual behavior as 'addiction'. It's not the time spent on any life activity that denotes addiction -- it's when quality of life is diminished in some way.
  8. Sure and I know there are some creators who spend all their time on photoshop and blender to a point it would be considered workaholism. Some that spend all their time on the forum, some all their time inworld on various activities. Plenty of addictive style behaviours to go around.
  9. I do frequently leave reviews -- and often positive ones, especially if there's been an instance of real great customer support. In fact, I've actually bought items from a store's MP just so I could leave a positive review, when I've had problems with something I bought in-world that were resolved by the maker. I also read reviews, but I discount ones that don't explain why they are positive or negative. Just, "Looks great!" or "not worth the price" isn't going to persuade me one way or another. I also pay attention to responses to reviews, sometimes by the creators themselves -- I wish more creators would do this. I don't generally buy things that don't have a demo anyway, so I usually have an opportunity to "test" the veracity of the review.
  10. As far as I'm aware, this is expected behavior, and has always been the case, as texture animations are an object property without start or end times attached, so I typically call llSetTextureAnim to stop the animation after it ends. I haven't actually tried non-looping rotation texture animations with a negative rate. If it loops anyway, that sounds broken. I wonder if looping SMOOTH and/or ROTATE animations are also affected, but because they loop the offset isn't easily noticed. I also wonder if this has always been the case, or if animation behavior was inadvertently changed at some point.
  11. I knew a guy in SL who was addicted to SL, a sex-addict in SL, and an alcoholic I don't encounter many in SL who fit the classification of 'addiction' though, rather their time spent in SL adds to the quality of their life, even if a habit that might be difficult to break unless suitable activities were available to replace it. Some interesting info about game addiction: "Video game addiction may have both short and long-term impacts on gamers, including various emotional, psychological, and neurological effects. A few studies have demonstrated that anxiety and depression are common among individuals who are dependent on video games [6,12]. In the new generation of children, physical activity time is less and shorter in duration when compared with the parent's generation because children’s activities moved toward indoor more than outdoor play. There is a negative relationship between the time spent on online gaming and exercise and that leads to a sedentary lifestyle which is a risk factor for many medical health conditions such as obesity, diabetes, and coronary artery disease [13]" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10065366/
  12. Thank you for supporting live music inSL! Come try our new limbo dance. 2pm Dje Atolia and The Superheroes I'm Dje ATOLIA, I'm a french rock guitarist, My universe is rock and pop rock, electric and folk guitar I sing and play guitar in live concerts, music covers from : Red Hot, Muse, Queen, Deep Purple, Green Day, Oasis, Hendrix, Clapton, Gary Moore, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Santana and more.... I play french rock songs too, acoustic songs and some classical musics with my electric guitar I play guitar for 29 years and have 2 bands in rl Let's follow my universe Dje 3pm Renato Sfera [Ren] is a Brazilian singer/songwriter and guitar player with wide experience in the music industry. He has already recorded 3 original albums and played all over Brazil and some cities in the USA. 4pm Gardo is a high energy performer with a wide range of music interests. He has a love for pop music from the 80s onwards. He also loves classic and alternative rock as well as some heavier bands such as Kiss and Metallica etc. He sings and plays guitar and has a voice that can go from smooth to edgy.
  13. From WebMD? Enough said, lol. The second part of what you posted has nothing to do with the difference between it being a habit or an addiction. Let's try to stay on topic.
  14. hello, i have actanon tellaq. I think is one of the better look avie. in many years i found good clothes with acceptable shape. But the head no teeth, no tongue, .... very basic Can you help me about that? What could i do? is there any kind of trick to enchance the face appareance? thanks in advance
  15. I rarely look at reviews. Most have only 1-5 reviews and those are the ones that are suspect. Anyone can create 5 alts and submit a review. The only reviews I "may" take seriously are ones that have 20+ -40 reviews. You can be sure that ones that have VERY high positive reviews the store has given out an incentive to post a review, such as a newly released TV.
  16. ~shrugs~ that happens in SL too but the majority don't stop selling because of it. In opensim there tends to be more loyalty to those who do market there then those who don't. It has been a rare creator who has mentioned their Opensim content was copied and being distributed but those places that have done that, have been ostracized and their access blocked to the more reputable grids
  17. Please stop trying to pretend you understand how alcoholics and addiction works. It's embarrassing. From WebMD: "A “functional alcoholic” may seem to be in control. But they may put themselves or others in danger by drinking and driving, having risky sexual encounters, or blacking out, Benton says. Heavy drinking has many other risks. It can lead to liver disease, pancreatitis, some forms of cancer, brain damage, serious memory loss, and high blood pressure. It also makes someone more likely to die in a car wreck or from murder or suicide. And any alcohol abuse raises the odds of domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, and fetal alcohol syndrome".
  18. Please stop trying to pretend you understand how alcoholics and addiction works. It's embarrassing.
  19. Much like in review sections in RL, on Yelp, Google or even a department store site, reviews don't really help anymore as they are mostly polarized. You'll have reviews with 5 stars heralding the product as the most amazing thing out there, and then there will be 1-star ratings claiming they are the worst thing ever, scam, ripoff, etc. This is why with reviews, it seems only the most happiest and the most angriest people leave a review. In SL, in general, people will buy your product and not leave a review because they are satisfied. It is very RARE to get any review nowadays - I notice that products from 10+ years ago have much more participation, but nowadays people don't bother for the most part. The reviews I get are of course polarized as well. Most, if not all of the 'negative' reviews I've gotten have mainly been user error, misunderstanding, or even now with PBR and even FULL SL Texture sets - get angry complaints because those users do not have ALM or ability to see PBR. The problem is, I and other creators will bend over backwards to make these customers happy, or to educate them... and our $40 cents of profit long out the window... will solve their issue, yet their INACCURATE review remains on your product. You can report it, and LL comes and sees and thinks "Well that's a legit review with concerns, why is he flagging this 1 star review?" Why? Because there is no option for us to have a 'customer problem resolved' on the product, even if the issues were legit and were fixed (with a product update). I've had several listings have low ratings due to ALM in the past that kept their low ratings even though I responded inworld and on the listing, AND YES THEIR SALES WENT DOWN - on perfectly good products! Reviews without context, reviews without ability to 'resolve' them if they are negative, and reviews that don't actually help improve the product, are no help at all - and could actually damage the listing and potential sales... "I would have given this 5 stars, but it didn't come in blue, the textures don't look inworld as do in pictures (Even though I take pictures in HIGH NOON ugliest light because if it looks good there, it will look good anywhere!), and it is nomod/copy, etc - so I gave it 1-3 stars..." The flag mechanism needs a "I believe this review is outdated/irrelevant/problem solved" or yes, some creators may be tempted to relist - and for LEGITIMATE (even if illegal to do). The result on some listings is I just remove them, and the experience(s) have a longer lasting impact that I am now discouraged from putting up more stuff (especially PBR) as I don't want to waste my time until it's guaranteed the product will be represented properly - OR having an option to remove 'reviews' that are just bug reports and complaints.
  20. Ummmm, similar ears exist, but mostly attached to a mesh head. There are some separates, though. Group gift from Aii (not sure if still available as a group gift - take a peek at their mainstore) - updated for Evo X. Separate drow ears that were available at the Christmas round of We Love Roleplay. Check in-store to see if they're still available. The above is a spinoff of these, which come with their elf head: None of those are suuuuper long, but they're longer than what's included with other heads.
  21. Yes, you're quite right. You don't "owe" anyone an explanation -- you can do what you want. And as a consumer, so will I. But it is potentially useful to creators to know that I won't buy their things because they are no mod. Consider it free market research! I note that your items mostly seem to be mod, so this doesn't apply. Thank you, however, for offering these explanations even if they are not "owed." And yet, as you note, most items can be replaced through redeliver (assuming they are not also no-copy, which I definitely do not buy). I sometimes puzzle over this one: I mean, sure, again, that's your right. But in RL I wouldn't accept restrictions on what I do with products I've purchased -- I have, after all, paid money for them -- and the same is true of SL. If I am putting a table you made in a pic, but I don't want the flowers you've placed on that table there, I expect to be able to remove them. If I think that this pair of jeans goes better with this top than the skirt that it comes with, that should be my decision. This feels a little like the "subscription" argument for software: you don't really get to "own" something, because the dead hand of the creator continues to exert authority over it even after you've paid for it. Not sure I understand you here. We're talking about mod perms, not copy ones? I've lost too many no-copy items to accidents and glitches to spend money on them now. And it's really inconvenient. And, of course, you can't get a redelivery. So, no thanks. My understanding is that no-mod perms does very little to "protect" an item. Is that incorrect? I buy lots of building kits to create backdrops. I do so for a number of reasons, but one very practical one is that they generally come with maps. If they don't, the likelihood is that I won't waste money on them, because retexturing is important to me. So, if you are selling a complete house, and also one designed to be modular, I'll almost certainly opt for the latter (if maps are included in the package). But if you DON'T offer that option, and I can rip a window from your full version of the house that I've paid for, for use in a backdrop or scene, I'm not going to feel bad about that because you aren't selling a modular version anyway. In other words, you aren't losing any money from this: I'm not cannibalizing something that I could be paying money for in full perm or modular form. So, I don't see how this hurts you? Except (as Theresa has pointed out) if your object is no-copy. And "protecting" my possession of an item that I can't use in the way I intended when I purchased it isn't terribly useful, really. Just to recap: I totally agree with you that it should be your choice as to whether something you create is no mod. But consumers also have a choice, and as your post here makes clear, many of us want mod perms. I won't buy decorative or structural things that don't have these. So, if I'm telling you that, it's not to "shame" you -- it's to inform you that you've lost my business because of your choices. And that, surely, is useful information?
  22. And anti-Dutch, anti-alien, anti-illuminati, anti-US government, anti-media and anti-you. You're welcome. P.S. Don't forget to shake your fist at Borat for making his anti-semitic movie.
  1. Load more activity