All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. 2048 Available. A beautifully furnished Onsu Skybox will be left for your use on this quiet parcel On Novgorod. Priced to sell! http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Novgorod/112/87/76
  3. This is me watching the eclipse. I'm not supposed to go out in crowds but I double-masked up. Also with my draw distance down and "no comment" mode in SL.
  4. It has already gone away. We will get new rules for the Residents and LL staff, but no results of any investigation. The old rules were not clear enough for even LL staff to understand they could say, so there is no action needed except to tighten up the rules. Please tilt your head more to the left so our facial recognition software can confirm it is really you trying to log in.
  5. On sale at Urban Roots - balcony flower boxes, $75 each. The one on the far right is 5 LI, the others are 6 LI each.
  6. During the early days of the pandemic before the vaccine when I couldn't go out of doors at all, I made my way through all the Central Asian greats that I never found time to read before -- I used to have a job writing about Central Asia daily and I would often say "I only know what I write in the newspaper" to stress my ignorance, as I had never gone to those countries as it happens. So John Buchan's "Greenmantle" (whose scenes I've re-created in SL in both egg and full-size form) is really the UR-novel of all of these types of works, and a lot of spy stories for the next 100 years like 007 and Smiley's People and such. And it is filled with the Orientalism and geocentrism and racism and antisemitism which you'd expect at the time so you have to take it as a period piece but it's still a great story, and politically-correct novels of our time like "The Bird King" have basically copied the same story line and even scenery. So I thought "Kim" was going to be even worse and it wasn't, actually, you need to read it through. Yes, people used to say "mankind" and "man's first step" and all the rest. I'm used to thinking of "resilient" in NGO terms so I apply it to situations like Chechen and Ukrainian war refugees torn from their homes or torn limb from limb, not...a virtual world for affluent Westerners to sit in their pajamas and RP. You know? Resilience in a virtual world? There's a very, very simple pathway to virtual world resilience: log off! Remember that CSI episode on SL that we were all fascinated by? And the "Log off! Log off!" scene? But to put all of that aside and look at SL in its own terms...I think the key is to have good graphic settings. DO NOT CLICK that button on the viewer now that says "Improve Your Graphics" because it makes it WORSE. Dial everything down. Take off "avatar" view. Take down particles. You know the drill. I just spent another evening with a friend TPing around aimlessly, lagging, crashing, trying to find some good live music or even just a place to shop at Fantasy Faire without dragging around in freeze frame. So we got a bit of shopping done, a bit of sight-seeing of the builds but the music wasn't workable. So, like the weather, wait an hour, and the Events list changes, you'll likely find something to your taste. Weedstock is in session although apparently mainly bikers and folk. I found this great show recently called Billy Bob and the Psychedelic somethings with old progressive rock tunes and a particle shows. So that's the second point about resilience: patience, ability to keep looking and suffering crashes. Recently, another friend contacted me like 4 times and never caught me online, and I thought she had something urgent and specific, perhaps news of a show, a request about rentals info, some other time-specific matter. But instead it seems she just wanted to chat. I think she's on another time-zone. So I couldn't talk for long because I had to get to RL chores. And that's another piece of the resilience -- the ability to withstand the time zone challenge. SL overcomes space; it doesn't overcome time. Certain relationships seem to consist entirely of asynchronous communications so I try to keep them up -- I send a link to something interesting to read or watch, in or out of SL, a freebie, and LM to some gallery or whatever. And months -- years even! -- go by where I never see that person inworld, let alone talk to them in "real time" yet I feel as if we are "still friends." Yet a third friend recently told me about a gatcha sale, I couldn't get it to hit the right thing, finally he bought it for me when he swung by and the tumbler clicked, and send it to me. I haven't seen him in ages -- and like a tenant I have, he keeps in touch by gifts (I send them too). So I would save give gifts. I wish the system had a thing whereby it would permanently leave a record tht a thing was a gift, so you could display that table or dinosaur egg in your home and it would say GIFTED BY PROKOFY NEVA on it as a conversation piece LOL. I have had to face a great deal of disruption and loss in RL and SL. And I can only say the advice to all friends in RL working for any government or large corporation: keep a crime file. You can't always act, but keep a crime file, maybe you will be able to put it together to take action in the future. And if it is more along the lines of personal relationship trauma or suffering the loss of a person through RL death or leaving SL, write a journal even for just a few minute a day, it helps. Journaling advice and workshops get awfully twee or intensive and long-term -- a few minutes, and not even every day, sometimes even once every few weeks, can make a difference. In that light my Just One Thing program which I got from yet another friend -- try to accomplish just one little thing each day, perhaps something you have been putting off. Chunk up the task. This applies to RL or SL. You will have a great sense of satisfaction if you actually unbox all your purchases and look at all the event gifts and toss most of them.
  7. In my mind LL already knows that adult verification will not work. Been there and done that as most of the old-timers remember. They are trying to talk the talk and placate folks. IF as it has been said it becomes a LAW, then that's a different story. Obviously anyone over a certain LL age (I am 16 plus now) is NOT a child. I don't care if I can't go to adult sims however there are plenty of places in adult sims that are NOT adult in any manner or form, so any further rules may hurt those folks. My only worry is that in their appearance to "look good" The Lab may decide that EVERYONE needs to prove their age much like they decided EVERYONE needed to accept Tilia even though most folks wouldn't be using it. (We won that battle more or less by the way.). Hopefully they will see that would be a VERY bad plan --- but I do sometimes wonder at the decisions that are made. We are close to two months now since the Medium article and time clock is ticking. This will NOT go away unless we let it.
  8. From my understanding the new 2k textures are meant primarily for big thing: terrain, buildings, etc. To this end the system that serves up the final texture to the person viewing them will make a determination on the best resolution to make available via MIP mapping. With that understanding* my take is that sure designers can create and upload 2k textures for skin, clothes, accessories, and make up and if the logic says "this object/thing only really needs the 512x texture that's all you'll get. If that is the case we might never see many of the "ultra-high" resolutions except in special circumstances like "big" things and texture dictionaries. (and even texture dictionaries might even get auto-scaled.) So for wearables I don't think it'll have that big of an impact. *I grants that my understanding might be flawed and and someone with more knowledge on the whole thing will gently correct me.
  9. It is easier (faster) to download a small texture. There ARE however legitimate reasons for 2048 textures. We had them in Sansar long ago and for awhile there were even bigger textures (not my time there). If you put ALL the texutures for a small house on ONE 2048 texture plane the server only needs to make ONE trip instead of -- well it could be 20 depending on how people build. The real issue in my mind is that folks will just assume that a 2048 texture is BETTER and NEEDED when it is not. Not a whole lot different than the match head forum post LONG ago that was a 1024 texture (yes really). So I for one am happy that LL will be charging for the bigger textures as that might have people thinking if they really NEED that big texture.
  10. Hello. I'm looking for a little help from someone who knows even a little more about scripting than I do...hopefully someone familiar avsitter, or possibly black tulip moving parts...and that can explain what I need to do in non-scriptor terms...lol. In a nutshell, I'd like to get the avsitter "move prim by pose" script to respond to a BUTTON in the avpos card, either instead of OR in addition to a POSE or SYNC. The full details are these: I have an item with a door. I'd like the door to open and close by touch with a simple door script when no one is sitting (simple enough). However, I'd also like a sitter to have the ability to open, close or slightly open the door regardless of the pose/sync they're in (hence the BUTTON). Finally, I'd like to use the script as intended and have the door in certain positions based the given pose or sync. Both latter options would be great, but just the BUTTON method would be wonderful too. I've tried messing with send/receive link messages a little, but clearly haven't found the right combination. I'm familiar with the Black Tulip Moving Parts script as well, and may or may not use it in this project depending on the results I get here...so if someone knows a better way with the BT scripts to accomplish what I'm looking for, I'd be perfectly happy with that as well. Thanks so much for any help, advice or guidance!
  11. Just for anyone who might be wondering - you *can* use a LeLutka or other head with the Senra body, so elf ears still an option
  12. I can remember going to a sim that hosted all the Money Tree listings (and there were lots) and seeing "mirrors" and they were damned impressive. They apparently took a screenshot of your avatar and superimposed it on in reverse on the mirror prim (it was only prims back then). No, there wasn't any movement but that had to bee like 17 years ago or so.
  13. I think the age verify is very important but it can also cause issues as well with different countries with laws and regulations. I don't mind showing my ID to prove I am over the age of 18 to a company to have on file. I mainly stick to adult rated regions anyways.
  14. Today
  15. Let's be real. LL will talk about doing something. They'll release some half assed "solution." Then everything else will be ignored and nothing will actually change. This is why we need a change in leadership with Linden Lab. They are too content with what exists and aren't actually interested or capable of pushing for progress.
  16. Maybe everyone is jumping the gun a bit on this? LL will be well aware of the impact a really strict or robust age verification system would have. I think this will be to a great degree window dressing. But maybe we should hang on a bit and see what's down the road before lowering lifeboats.
  17. This "bought in" and "no longer works there" stuff is likely a factor in SL as there have been tons of turnovers in SL. There are very few Lindens that have been here since the dawn of time; some have died in RL at this point it's been so long. I was just reading Vicki Boykis' nerd newsletter on this phenomenon of groupthink and people having beliefs that you "can't do" something because "we've never done it that way" and newcomers not being able to get the group to see the obvious problems. That can happen in any company, even a non-programming environment (although most offices are driven by the programmers). Bellisseria is obviously a growth engine for LL, and while I'm aware people think it's a loss leader still, I don't see that they could be rolling out that many new homes if it really were (i.e. that the cost of Mole labour and materials is higher than the uptake of new premiums). So it works, and while they are willing to change things in terms of templates or buildings or trees or whatever, I don't think they are willing to consider changing the aquisition process. If anything, as Andrew Linden used to say in the early days, the growth needs to be throttled. That might seem counterintuitive, but the CS can't keep up with too much of a surge. There's an interesting slide show at the anniversary which I hope they post on YouTube or somewhere inworld permanently because it gives you some insight into how they think as they put out Bellisseria. They're in god-mode, thinking in terms of laying things out on a grid in big squares and the quality assurance that goes with it. They think of templates this or templates that. They don't adopt the consumer perspective even though some of them might actually have Linden homes or decorate them and go inside of them for special occasions. And there's no need for them to be sent out on the equivalent of Door Dashes like the engineers are forced to do at that company because, in the inimitable words of Kenny Linden, "There's always another guy to buy the island." Don't like the way it's done and you quit and give up and delete your home? Someone else will be along shortly.
  18. Go to your Dashboard and click Change Membership, on the left, under Account. Far right side, click "Downgrade to basic" If you own any Mainland, you'll need to sell it first. If you have a Linden Home, you'll need to abandon it. If you donate any tier to groups, you'll need to remove those donations. Your other membership benefits will continue until the current paid timeframe is up.
  19. This will mean your Alts will need to prove their birthdate, even if they just have a Basic account with PIO, to even log in? I never gave every alt the exact same birth date for security reasons, years ago when I made my business alts. PIO will not be enough now? Will they require my 12 year alts to prove their RL age? Do they really think I was under 6 yrs old when I joined SL?
  20. Six new Ranch coast regions & the furthest north train station at Wild Winds ( 3 regions from Strong Angel).
  21. Those who drone on, and on, about "taking personal responsibility" should want to be the first in line to verify identity. Don't they want to take personal responsibility?
  22. Yes, that's true as well. There's a certain sim I've watched for ages and sometimes I fly around it with that HUD to find empty Belli homes, and never find anything. I never got into the Trads, they seemed cramped. But then the Chalets are cramped as well. Meanwhile, you could fit a roller rink in the Ranches.
  1. Load more activity