Best viewer available?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You're most welcome Randall. I don't know Cawl so not sure what it's like. Do you by any chance mean CalWL which is Caliah Lyon's setting? It does make avatars look good but has no shadows. With Niran's, I mostly just use the Default setting or Default2 if I find Default overbright at times.. For dramatic daytime photography work, I use Incongruent Truths. For inside studio work, some of the Anna Lutetia settings are good. For a darker dramatic moody view with beautiful warm overtones, I absolutely love Maroon (see photo below). Foogy is good too for some eerie still scenes and Linden Lab's region settings for The Wilderness are just perfect for those sims (photo below) although foggy with glassy water looks good too.

Maroon Photo 2 reduced.png

The Wilderness_1 reduced.png

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did mean CalWL. I always thought that meant California Windlight because everyone looks good there. :D  Maybe i'll try some of those other settings. I have taken photos before with Incongruent Truths. Nirans is working pretty good for me now. I'm really liking it.

• 1 month later...

Linda Sautereau wrote:

What graphics setting do you turn off to keep the prims from going pink?  I have that problem with V3.

Thanks!

ATI pink bug...fixed in viewers but you need to update your graphics card driver. Is it a desktop or laptop and what card?

LOL - Most of the time I still use the old SL 1.23 viewer.  I like the V1 interface the best and that viewer crashes on me far less than any other.  In the last month or so I have started trying out some of the newer viewers, primarily for the 'multiple attachments'' and 'alpha layer' abilities, but I'm still only liking ones that are using a mostly V1 interface style ........... and I'm not yet sold on any of them enough to become my new primary viewer.

LittleMe Jewell wrote:

LOL - Most of the time I still use the old SL 1.23 viewer.  I like the V1 interface the best and that viewer crashes on me far less than any other.  In the last month or so I have started trying out some of the newer viewers, primarily for the 'multiple attachments'' and 'alpha layer' abilities, but I'm still only liking ones that are using a mostly V1 interface style ........... and I'm not yet sold on any of them enough to become my new primary viewer.

out of all the new viewers..the closest i had found sofar to looking like a v1  is the firestorm phoenix viewer set to phoenix..it's a v3 interface but made to feel like a v1.some call it a v2 viewer..but v3 is the one with the button drag and drop to the 3 sides.. it even has traditional profiles..older looking inventory and contact list and lots of things..plus all the new features you are wanting..

mine has been running pretty smooth so far..

here is a video on it if you haven't seen it yet.

Most of the time I use Firestorm. FPS peaks at 115 even with ultra graphics (although I tweak them). Can't beat that. I also have Phoenix and RLV and Metabolt and LL's current beta viewer installed at almost all times, all for different uses.

I have 2 favorites, both V1 style:

~ I still use Imprudence for building - my frame rates are in the 100s, it's stable, and I can build very easily (probably because I know it so well). Downside - no mesh right now.

~ For Mesh, I've started using the Cool VL Viewer and I have to say it's pretty amazing. V1 style interface with multiple layers and Mesh support. My framerates are close to the ones I get on Imprudence (90's when building and even staying above 50 in crowded sims), so it's very smooth and very easy on my computer (no overheating, CPU and memory are fine).

As a note, I tried Phoenix and Firestorm for a while (used the V1 style interface that's available), but my framerates dropped in half and the computer was overheating and they were eating memory like mad, so I've put them on hold for a while.

LIL! *Tacklehugs

LittleMe Jewell wrote:

Cool VL has all that  and more.

Depending on where I am of course, with CoolVL and my GTX 680, I get stupid frame rates. In my skybox, I can peg the meter at over 100 FPs, even in super crowded sims I don't get below 25 or so...with everything on Ultra.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

It's middle May 2014 and I am curious to see what you all have to say about this topic now.. I am new to SL for the most part, I've pretty much stuck to Firestorm and Singularity, but having trouble in both.. Anyone have a suggestion or some ideas on what you would consider as the best viewer for SL at this time. With so many viewers out there, I would love to hear everyone's current opinion.

Thanks!

I don't think there is a "best viewer."   I can tell you what I use most of the time and why -- Catznip, because it's the RLVa reference viewer, it's very fast and stable on my computer, and it looks and feels pretty much like the official viewer but has a lot of well-thought-out tweaks, including what I think is the best implementation of Outfits of any viewer.

However, that doesn't make it "the best viewer".   It makes it the viewer I like to use for what I do in SL.    But if you system is different from mine or you do very different things in SL from what I enjoy doing, it probably won't be your first choice.

JadedJewel13 wrote:

It's middle May 2014 and I am curious to see what you all have to say about this topic now.. I am new to SL for the most part, I've pretty much stuck to Firestorm and Singularity, but having trouble in both.. Anyone have a suggestion or some ideas on what you would consider as the best viewer for SL at this time. With so many viewers out there, I would love to hear everyone's current opinion.

Thanks!

I'll say the same thing I have always said, "The best Viewer is the one that works best for you."

Now if you are having specific problems, saying what they are may get you to a Viewer or a solution for solving them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.