Is there a problem with the new phoenix viewer, it keeps crashing me with no warning.

star Modan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

I have absolutely no idea, because you haven't told me very much that can help. You're using a borrowed laptop (what model?) with GeForce graphics (what model?) and you're crashing (or maybe disconnecting -- can't be sure).  WHEN are you crashing (or disconnecting) and what error messages are you getting (None?  Is that what "no warning" means?)?  When did this behavior start?  What have you changed recently?  You're not using wireless, are you?  Click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT to add information.  ANYTHING would help. . Please do NOT start a new thread.

Rolig is right. You have not given us enough to give you much help.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

Also, a new laptop, or any computer for that matter, does not mean you have the latest drivers. It takes months to build and assemble a computer, moving it through retail channels and to you even more time. No one lnow how long it has sat in the delaer's warehouse. NVIDIA drivers update about once a month.

Without knowing driver versions, OS versions, and more we have no idea which of numerious problems may cause you problem.

Stabbing in the dark here, star.

It might be a coincidence that it's because you are using Phoenix - it might be because your graphics drivers need updating.

Or you might have got the wrong settings - ie graphics on too high a draw distance - often a culprit for sudden crashes.

As others have said, you need to add your specifications to your original post. Knowing the type of graphics card you have got installed could help us give you a more specific answer.

If you find you are able to use one of the other viewers without any problems, but wish to use Phoenix, ask the Phoenix/Firestorm viewer support group inworld (if you're not already a member, you can find the group listed on my profile inworld).  You'll get a ton of advice on what your settings should be, but again, the Phoenix group people will want to know what type of graphics card you have, and other computer specifications.

The OP still hasn't added any helpful information to the question, so we have no idea exactly what computer or graphics card he's dealing with.  However, here's another total shot in the dark >>> SL 2.7.x - 3.0.1 (tested) crashes NVIDIA GTX 460 if Basic Shaders are enabled (possibly if Google SketchUp was previously run on the machine since power-up). That problem seems to affect more than just the GTX 460 that was the original focus of the JIRA.

It's virtually impossible to say what the solution is, since you have told us very little. When does it crash? Whet error messages do you get? What are the specifications of your computer and grahics card (not just its name)? How are you connected to the Internet (PLEASE don't say wireless)? Instead of attaching your question to the end of someone else's six month old thread, please start a new one of your own. More people are likely to see it.

Since a few weeks I have the same problem. 

For the Not as dumb as I look ones:

I have an 

ASUS GTX 550 Ti ... graphic card

ASUS P8Z77-v ... motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770 processor

a few SSD cards

and I run on optical wire

I dont think its the PC, but probably this is still not enough information.

with love, 

Cin

Hi! I saw your note here, buried at the end of a very old thread. It's not likely to be seen by many people, so I suggest that you start your own new question instead. Meanwhile, thank you for giving us much better information than the OP in this ancient thread did. Your information does help to rule out some of the possible problems that she may have had. I suspect that your problem is quite different and, as you suspect, may not be a problem with your machine. It would help greatly if you could tell us exactly what error message you get when SL crashes, however. Take a look at these two web sites for some guidance >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_install_crash and http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_run_crash . You'll notice that the suggestions are very different, depending on when you crash (or disconnect), which is why it is so important to explain carefully what happens in your specific situation. "I crash" isn't good enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.