Using others' items in creations I make

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am very new to building and have only done a few basic items.  I am considering putting some items in the Marketplace but have some questions before I do.  I am not skilled enough yet to make every component on my own and am wondering if and when it's acceptable to use items from others in something I want to sell.  For example, I recently made a chair that includes sculpted items, animations, and scripts from other sellers.  Can I list this and sell it?

Also, I made an error recently and purchased a sitting pose system that only allows for one pose on an object.  Since I'm still learning, I didn't realize this.  My intention was to have multiple poses.  I assume the item is non refundable. It also cannot be transferred.  Would I be able to sell it to someone?

Thank you.

Hello.

Your permissions to use items will depend on the terms of use or licensing that was given to you at the time you bought your items.

Many freebie items come with terms of use that include no for-profit transfer; in other words, you can only give it away.

Other products come with the expectation you will use them in just the manner you describe.

Still others are meant for you to use as building components, but must not have those same priveleges transfered to your customers.

Using something without permissions and getting caught is the quickest way to waste alot of time and effort, and possibly risk the detrimental effects of a variety of penalties.

Make sure you read the creators terms carefully, and if in doubt NEVER ASSUME. ALWAYS ask. Everything in SL has the creators name attached to it. You can find this information listed on the edit pane, or from the radial menu when you inspect an item.

Unless otherwise stated, all sales are final.

This does not mean however that a vendor cannot make efforts towards customer satisfaction.

In my experience not many will, this is an area of customer service in SL that is severely lacking. Once you've spent the money, that is usually the the end of that.

You should still contact the vendor, in my opinion. I have been known to provide refunds or additional products, in order to earn a customers confidence and assure their happiness. But I am also known for just giving extra items to customers for shopping in the first place. They are the reason I am doing it in the first place, is my philosophy.

Dirtnap gave you good information, I just wanted to add to it a bit.

Before you try to sell something with pre-made components, make sure they are copy/trans! On top of that, do make sure the items were produced with the intention of being used in builds and sold.

Since you are new, it is not a bad place to start out using pre-made objects but you might want to make the leap to more advanced building before you sell things. The marketplace is full of sculpt maps, textures and kits to create things yourself, with your name listed as the creator. Please keep in mind that a million people can buy the same kit, and shoppers don't like to see the same exact doo-dad being sold "as is" in a million stores. Please use the kits IN something or with something. IE- You bought a flower sculpt kit- put it in a pot. You bought a pot sculpt- texture it yourself/make a custom texture...etc.

I belong to a few sales groups and none of them will allow vendors who sell items made by someone else. It makes it difficult for customers to identify who they bought something from if they have questions or just want to say they like the item! 

If you have mastered how to link objects, then making a sculpt, texturing, etc. won't be very hard. FYI- check out the Builder's Brewery. They have classes and tons of resources for builders :)

• 2 weeks later...

Airway wrote:

Also, I made an error recently and purchased a sitting pose system that only allows for one pose on an object.  Since I'm still learning, I didn't realize this.  My intention was to have multiple poses.  I assume the item is non refundable. It also cannot be transferred.  Would I be able to sell it to someone?

Thank you.

With regard to the no transfer item, if it is not transferable you cannot sell it.  You would be unable to set it for sale directly, and if you box it your customer would get an empty box.  The permissions system in sl is pretty simple.  Items sold with copy and transfer permissins, if legitimate and not ripped, are generally untended for resale, usually in a substantially modified form, for example sculpt and texture kits.  Items sold with copy/no transfer are intended for the exclusive use of the purchaser or their land group.  Items sold no copy/transfer are intended either for the pirchaser, or to be given or sold to one other avatar at a time.  There may be intended restrictions on the price, but these are hard to enforce. Modify permissions are much more variable, and depend on the seller, the type of item and so on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.