Firestorm and Mesh

Scout Schwager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every few days, I see a young lady who's hair is not right. Bald spots on the head. Hair missing entirely, or most of the head gone! I send a note to the individual, and often they suggest I need a mesh viewer, or its not rezzed for "me" yet. Well,

1) I am on Firestorm 4.0.1 which I understood was a "mesh viewer", and
2) They stay that way for 20+ minutes and
3) Everyone else looks fine to me.
Usually when I suggest the individual get another opinion, they do and then run off to fix the hair, so I am thinking  its not just me. Once I was told she had both mesh hair and a mesh skirt, and I saw the skirt just fine.

So am I nuts? Or is it possible some mesh objects is not working right?

I can't say whether you're nuts or not, but most people in SL are a little nuts. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Is the version of Firestorm you're on the beta test one? 

Do you encounter many people for whom their hair looks bizarre?

Do you zoom right into their avatar, back out, and back in again to see if the hair rezzes in better? 

More responses will follow - I am plucking out of thin air (not hair though)

• Like 1

Yes I am on something they call a beta: Firestorm FUI Beta 4.0.1.27000 although everyone who logs in on Firestorm is encouraged to upgrade to this. 

I do zoom around, usually I am taking pics. I will try the zoom in and out thing next time.

I see about 3 avatars a week like this.

Forum won't let me upload pictorial evidence.

How high or low is your LOD factor? Objects look better with a higher LOD factor; the lower LOD is, the closer your camera has to be to the object to see it properly; otherwise you see skin poking through all over the place. Also, you'll see less complicated objects better, even with a low LOD, than high-detail objects, which could be why you could see the skirt but not the hair.

Just a thought.

I'm not hanging around in mesh-mainly areas, but do occasionally see people with bits of hair missing (sometimes it's me! - because I lost some during a recent teleport - although it happens less often these days than it used to). 

I don't know if the zoom in zoom out thing will work on mesh hair. Mesh is a bit of an unknown quantity for me, but you would think if you can see a mesh skirt alright that you'd be able to see everything else mesh alright, which strongly indicates it is the mesh hair that is faulty, and certainly not you going nuts.

Although if you become obsessive about it, it will drive you nuts!

I had a strange experience with mesh last night. Logged first with Singularity and couldn't see a woman's mesh dress. Relogged with Dolphin and could see it, but could not see another woman's mesh hair. Relogged with Exodus and the hair showed ok.

Guess I could stick with Exodus, but I don't understand why the camera controls have to be so freaking big. 

I have had some similar experiences with the mesh hair. 

1.  tp somewhere & my hair is sporatic, showing bald patches

2.  tp'd to find my hair detatched and off to my side about .5 meters

3.  friends on occasion telling me they see no hair just a blotchy bald base

So, I have since stopped wearing the mesh hair.  Just a pain atm to bother with it.

Mesh clothes, I have purchased a few things but still am not happy with what I've purchased.

Now will DD I have to upgrade to a different viewer so it will support my marketplace store and not looking forward to what is next.

Mesh viewing of others so far has been good and bad - sometimes can tell its mesh because it just doesn't view well. 

Randall Ahren wrote:

I had a strange experience with mesh last night. Logged first with Singularity and couldn't see a woman's mesh dress. Relogged with Dolphin and could see it, but could not see another woman's mesh hair. Relogged with Exodus and the hair showed ok.

Guess I could stick with Exodus, but I don't understand why the camera controls have to be so freaking big. 

The camera controls are big cause they are big in V3, my guess is the devs didn't bother with them cause no one uses them.

Rival Destiny wrote:

omg, am I the only one that uses the camera controls??  I wouldn't be able to survive without them! 

No, you probably aren't :)

Have you ever tried using Alt Left Click instead? You can also add the Ctrl keys and the Shift keys as needed, gives you lots of control and frees up screen space. 

Randall Ahren wrote:

How do you not use the camera controls?

I never use them, and never have since I learned how to use Alt Left Click.

If you use I Mac I don't know how it works on one, but I use Windows and find that using my mouse is much more accurate and provides quicker control of my camera.

I would just say don't bother yourself with it. Specially if you'r SLife isn't about vieweing the things as they're supposed to be.

And specially if you're not a sl photographer and you don't make 10 photos of a person, edit them and then find out that your viewer did a mess with displaying things lol

You know I probably should make a conscious decision to try to use the Alt left mouse button ... I have been told so often it is much easier.  I think I'm just stuck in some old ways.  I am also quite a clutz and still can't fly and sometimes even walk in a straight line.

Oh, ok, well that's where the Ctrl and Shift buttons come into play.

Alt Left Click on the back of your head, while still holding those down, move your mouse to the left or right.

Now, move your mouse forward and back.

Now, while doing all that, hold down the Ctrl key also, move mouse forward and back.

Now, add Shift, move mouse.

See? :)

Here is a more technical write up: 

Keyboard controls

By using your keyboard and mouse to control the camera, you can view nearly any object or avatar from any angle or distance.  

• Alt + Left mouse button: Press and hold to zoom your view in when you move the mouse up or down. Orbits your view around the focal point when you move the mouse left or right.
  • Ctrl + Alt + Left mouse button: Press and hold to orbit your view around the focal point when you move the mouse in any direction.
  • Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Left mouse button: Press and hold to pan your view parallel to the plane of your screen.
  • Mouse scroll wheel: Zooms in or out.
  • Escape key: Resets your view to its default location behind your avatar.  Moving your avatar also resets your view.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Camera-point-of-view-controls/ta-p/700047

• Like 1

Randall Ahren wrote:

OK, I will try it. Thank you.

@Rival, you might want to try Dolphin if you can't walk in a straight line. You just click on the ground and your avatar walks straight there. It's embarrassing however if you click on another avatar. Then you walk right into them.

Lol, you can do that in Exodus, too (and V3) :)

Although, enabling that option makes mouse steering backwards, so I don't use it.

Mouse steering, if you don't know about it, is where you can use the arrow key to walk forward and just move your avatar around using the mouse, that and the Alt Left Click are two Second Life features that I could not live without.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.