Think it's about time to change those deadlines?

Sera Lok

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

This is probably a really stupid question, but what is ANS, please?

And I vote yes as well....actually I vote we keep the Magic Boxes but since that is unlikely.... 

Automatic Notification System. Basically every time a sale is made on MP, a "transaction record" that details the sale is sent to an outside website. That website catches the transaction record, adds it to a local Database, maybe registers the recipient as a valid user, maybe sends a thank you note .. whatever you need or want it to do.

You have to write your own ANS catcher, but if you know web scripting (languages like PHP for example) then it's not hard at all. It can get more complicated when you're doing things like product registration, etc. but the benefits you get are way worth the extra effort.

Oh yeah, and you get an independent record of all sales. That allows you to do things like real-time analysis of sales and trends. For folks with a heavy volume of sales, that sort of post-processing can be VERY valuable.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

BTW, 10 months ago, Brooke posted this, which should still apply

Brooke Linden wrote:

Will Magic Boxes always be available?

Eventually Magic Boxes will be retired, but no firm date has been set. We have identified success metrics and merchant confidence levels that will need to be met before we set dates for this step.

Brooke

Thank you!  I KNEW we had been given this assurance of no arbitrary deadline, but  METRICS -- performance objectives or benchmarks -- that would be met before any deadline was set. UNLIKE THE CLOSING OF XSTREET.

I was therefore shocked when I saw that no, in fact they were going to ram this through exactly like that!

I am with Josh on this one - not surprised by this massive implementation failure.  Look at the LL track record on implementation and it speaks for itself. They must have the absolute poorest testing environment then allow changes on the fly without testing approvals or checks THEN all this crap manages to slip through beta?!  Seriously piss poor testing.  Tends to point towards them not actually testing anything they implement - it is like beta testing is a workshop for what works then they implement that along with a crap-load more code that is untested.

IMO Second Life IS the test enviroment.  They call themselves a research company afterall - gotta wonder why.

Josh Susanto wrote:

>
The point is that these deadlines depend on "success metrics and merchant confidence levels"

That was never the point. The point was that the box system, itself, leaves someone personally exposed to some kind of risk that might be more effectively mitigated by shutting down the box system sooner rather than later.

Was talking about my original point in posting, not whatever creative notion you've come up with.

>Was talking about my original point in posting, not whatever creative notion you've come up with.

Understood. 

But the point you make is incorrect.

The dependency you cite does not exist.

Paranoid conspiracy is not required to understand the other point which I make; that someone believed getting the boxes shut down was more important than getting DD properly tested before deployment.

Why would someone believe such a thing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.