Alert! Check your CPU usage if using latest viewers (3.2.8, 3.3)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Aside from the viewer using 100% CPU load: A CPU is designed to also work at 100% load - why do you even buy a CPU if you don't want to use its full power? If your CPU overheats at 100% load, you'd better check the cooling if it's working properly and sufficient for the CPU's TDP class.

Very true, though I doubt some people actually pay much attention to proper cooling. Blocked air flow, dust, worn fans, etc. CPU's get fried on less than 100%.

If you're getting the 100% even with the viewer window minimized, please report it on the JIRA. This is a nasty bug and we need all the help we can get tracking it down so the Lindens can fix it.

Thankx!

They generally dont fry anymore. Thermal Throttling means they just slow themselves down. Its actually pretty hard these days to "melt" a modern CPU.

The viewer problem is valid though we talked about it on another thread. It seems poorly threaded for multi cores as my X6 had no issue but another persons X2 was being pushed hard at load.

For most, however, 100 percent CPU utilization is just a fact of life in SL. Certainly, keeping settings low, and especially, never, ever using deferred rendering might leave some people below full load, it's not going to be enough for older or basic hardware, especially so all-to-common systems with older GMA 950-X4500 integrated. I highly doubt many of these people are seeing crashes from overheating either; stock systems come with adequate cooling, and dust and dirt takes years to accumulate even in rather agressive settings (e.g, ownr of long-haired cat who smokes straight-cuts at PC).

septimusminimus wrote:

For most, however, 100 percent CPU utilization is just a fact of life in SL.

I have pretty fast computer (not extremely fast latest gaming gear though).  Generally the CPU load stays between 10 to 15 percent with high graphics settings.  Even turning shadows on does not change this.  On rare occasions CPU load goes somewhere up 25 per cent for a while.  The viewer never loads CPU up to 100 per cent.  Which is very good thing as I can run many other programs at the same time when I'm logged in SL.

When I had slower computer I very often saw the viewer loading CPU up to 100 per cent.  When the viewer does that, it's a clear sign that a faster computer would be needed.

• 2 months later...

"Aside from the viewer using 100% CPU load: A CPU is designed to also work at 100% load - why do you even buy a CPU if you don't want to use its full power? " OK that is the most absurd advice I have ever read. No CPU is designed to work at 100% load full time. It will overheat. In addition CPU monitors don't report the real damage Second Life does to computers, particularly Lap Tops; graphics card load, (GPU). There is a significant increase in CPU use by the latest versions of official viewer. Computers use electricity for power and electricity creates heat. Heat creates damage. The CPU usage on my quad core iMac ramps up the longer Second Life official (v3) is running. Despite the graphics (set on high) remaining constant, same scene, no avies walking in, it begins at 78% and slowly but surely ramps up to 210% over a 45 min period. At the point the cooling fans kick in fast and hard. [if you have a duo core or quad core computer, you get 100% per core.] By contrast, Firestorm using the same scene and graphics settings, never rises above 140% or less than one and a half cores. Considering the internet is heading toward ever lighter devices such as tablets and phones, Second LIfe's continued insistence on demanding ever more power from computers is clearly going against the tide. I have known too many people have their lap tops wasted by this program and apologists in world want to blame everything but the elephant in the virtual room.

• 9 months later...

Remington Aries wrote:

"Aside from the viewer using 100% CPU load: A CPU is designed to also work at 100% load - why do you even buy a CPU if you don't want to use its full power? " OK that is the most absurd advice I have ever read. No CPU is designed to work at 100% load full time. It will overheat.

I'd say the 100% CPU use for SL has to be a bug, expecially when minimized, but I have my CPU at 95-100% for extended periods of time when I render scenes in my 3d program (3ds max). Proper cooling keeps the temperature around 60 C. With a TJ Max of 105 C, this doesn't worry me one bit, why would it?

Laptops or even off-the-shelf computers might have bad cooling, I wouldn't want to load them too high. If 100% load overheats your CPU and you have some room in your case, add a second fan in the front or replace the stock CPU cooler. A good case fan costs a couple of bucks, a good CPU cooler around 40. Of course make sure nothing is blocking the airflow, not only dust, but cables can block your cooling. On my previous computer I got my cpu temperatures down by as much as 10 C when idling and a lot more under load just by a replacing the single case fan with two good ones and tucking away all cables.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.