Sign in to follow this  
Myra Wildmist

Where did I go wrong? Trying to import a simple mesh band.

I'm starting small with mesh, and I've tried importing some very basic mesh shapes into SL. So far I've had no problem with the primary shapes, such as spheres and cubes, but then I got a little more adventurous and made a simple, gold band in Blender. The image below is the band before I exported it from Blender.

blenderband

This blender object has some thickness, but when I imported the Collada file into SL I got this:

slgoldband - Copy.jpg

Where did I go wrong?? Somehow I lost the thickness of the band importing it into SL.

Thanks for any help.

Are you using the Solidify modifier to add thickness? You'll have to go to the modifier and hit the apply button before uploading. Modifiers don't transfer over to SL.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd post the updated band with the Solidfy mod applied. The color didn't translated well to sl, so maybe it's best not to apply the materials beforehand. tnx, again, drago.

newband - Copy.jpg

Another tick to consider would be to make sure the top, bottom, and inner ring faces are pointing outward. The faces pointing the wrong way could of happened ff you made the first circle then duplicated it and scaled it down to become the inner circle, and linked the two together. Options in Blinder like, "flip face," and "generate normals" will flip them back out (among others). Although the advice given previously, obviously worked. So I'm just posting this as an alternative tip for you and others. :D