Creating a "Skating AO" With grinding functionality. Got stuck.

Titty Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, so I have been working on a "Skating AO" for myself and a few friends, and have ran into an issue with the whole scripting process.

I have managed to create a script that will detect the rail based on the rail's name using an attachment with llCollisionFilter ??, and play an animation, sound, and apply force to the avatar when the rail is detected. The issue I am facing is keeping the avatar on the rail itself. I was wondering if there was a way to detect an object's centre position along the length of a prim, and centre the avatar there while force is being applied without having to sit on an object.

A few friends have suggested raytrace/traceray, but to my knowledge it does not work with attachments.

I have seen something similar to this being done before, and just wondered if anyone here could help shed some light on the situation.

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts.

The only "almost foolproof " way to keep a skateboard on a rail, a toboggan in a track, or a kid on a waterslide is to raise the sides.  Make an invisible tunnel to keep from falling off.  Balancing is virtually impossible (or is it "virtual balancing is impossible"?).

• 9 months later...

It is true, and invisible (or visible) walls do help you.  People have been doing it this way in SL for much longer than the 6 years I have been here, and I have done it myself several times.  These days there are alternatives -- llKeyframedMotion, for example -- and there are new ways to make tracks that will keep a sled from flying off.  I've been meaning to make a mesh track with a rolled edge that would do the trick.  I'd like to know how Pu!se Skateboards script theirs too.  Still, one thing that we know does work is a good, old-fashioned wall.

i got a vetox. it works bc is a vehicle. works the same way trains do. make like a magnet

+

skate AO is dif bc is an attachment. so is quite a lot harder. you have to slave to the rail. old school way was to use a list of move2targets really close together and a timer checker. dunno how to do with the new keyframe stuff tho

The real difference here is between "free" methods in which the sled or skateboard is responding only to gravity and "guided" methods in which the sled or skateboard is following the same predetermined path each time.  "Free" methods like the ones I was describing in my first post are a bit more exciting because they are unpredictable.  They're sort of like riding a real sled down a luge track.  If you move a little bit wrong, you sail off the track (unless the sides are really high).  A "guided" sled isn't as much fun, but can be more intricate because you can make a very complicated path for the sled to follow ... either with a mess of llMoveToTarget steps or with llKeyframedMotion

they quite interesting these kinds of things. i like stuff that moves

like you say for avatars the easy less hassle way is to use tubes

+

just add that when linden had to nerf llMoveToTarget so that it would defeat orbiters then it broke a lot of cool things you used to be able to do

like if run a MoveToTarget and a SetForce simultaneously then used to be able to make your avatar go round in a circle.like an orbit. now bc MovetoTarget always wins then end up going to the center (moveto target) and stopping. used to be able to that to physical objects as well. so could make ferris wheels and roundabouts that way. even S-bends and stuff.

bungy style was the most fun. like go zooming off in some random direction and then get pulled back and then off in another direction (:

MoveToTarget still quite good for some things. like can make it so that your avatar will slave to some point but also permit movement and acceleration using normal nav keys. just have to flip the MoveTo off/on depending on which key is pressed. or if none pressed

+

i seen one place where they did with vehicles. tour rider thingys. when you sit then they go on tour path but if you use the arrows then can go whereever. when stop pressing then they start gentle slave back to the path. PgDn was like a lock. press to stop. press to start again

is some AO/HUDs that use those kinds of techniques as well

+

edit: am assume can do same with KeyframeMotion. probably way less laggy as well

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.