ATTENTION! Listings on the Marketplace are borked. Everyone check your stores!

Pearl Vollmar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

just discovered my store has one of these borked item listing: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Avatar-Eating-Crocodile/1414070

grrr :catmad:

what to do? do we just wait for Lindens to fix it.... someday?.... or are they counting on us to do all the work of fixing up their mistakes for them?

scared to touch it in case everything scrambles up worse :catsurprised:

do we have to find each incident, collate a list of whatever data lindens need to fix it & then report each one with a jira or something? unfortunately i don't have time for this right now*sigh*

/me runs back to designing stuff

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flooding LL with constant tickets of incorrect listings, seems a rather poor need.  Linden Lab has been aware of the issue for at least 2 weeks now, and they are still not taking the correct steps to fix it properly.

I am not understanding why they do not shut it down and fix properly, and why they do not issue statements about the issue.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

how do u easily get a list of all your listing numbers?

I relisted 19 of my listings that were unlisted prior to DD.  I relisted them as DD.  so far no problems with any of my DD as well as my main MB listings.

I'm not sure how to "easily" get a list of all my item numbers.  If someone knows how I'd love to know that as well.  All I've been doing is going into edit my items, then hover my cursor over the item in that list and the item number shows up in the URL at the bottom left of my browser - the item number being the last of the string.

Nothing without some involved work. You could download one of many web spider programs and put in a bunch of filters and from that crawl the marketplace and parse your own product list from a list of returned product URLs. If you can find a decent spider and a fairly painless process to get those product numbers, but it's going to involve experimentation.

Shell scripts and some wget magic if you're on Linux, but again this is work.

Either way you have to parse your own list of product codes from URLs.

I tried to push for them to add some RSS feeds so that people could add their products to their own websites, etc. (short of an affiliate program which would have allowed people to sell marketplace product on independent websites). They finally added some RSS feeds and left out the most important one ... an individual seller or store item feed (go figure).

The RSS feed had they added it might have been a way to programatically parse out product numbers a bit more easily.

A CSV dump of "inventory" would be nice complete with total number of sales for each item (from zero and up), which would include an easy way to parse those numbers.

LOL... nice job Lindens.  They closed the ticket I put in and marked it as a duplicate.  No comment.. nothing. 

Dakota Linden closed WEB-4635.
------------------------------

Resolution: Duplicate

Guess I will just wait for them to decide when they are going to fix it huh?

@Dartagan - Ah, ok, thank you :)  For my small shop it doesn't take much time to hover over the item listings, but for merchants with 100's - 1,000's of products....Oy!

@Andrea - I'm sorry you received the "no answer-answer."  Maybe at this point they're not responding to each ticket with directions.  Stay tuned here - merchants on this forum are the best source of current info, imo. :)

I think LL often make a mix between the fix of the bug itself and the fix of the results of the bug...
That is also the case of a bug I also have and which is still not solved since october 2010: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-2974 !!!

There is certainly a very hard to find bug that produces or produced in very special circumstances the results we now saw i.e. the borked items.
I assume LL is trying to fix this bug and this takes much time while they could have fixed the results of the bug first because in this case they are urgent to be fixed !

Of course the initial bug should be fixed, but the things should be taken in order and the most urgent should be fixed first.

I only hope that in this case LL can fix the results of the bug (even manually) and have not lost the data. If it is the case, only us can individually give the right information of each product concerned...

unfortunately my bets would be on "lost the data" :catsad:

I expect otherwise they would probably have fixed it by now, as it would be simple matter to rollback & reinsert old code?

I dunno, I am not quite expert on these things....

i know some merchants have more knowledge & have the time to analyze this matter quite minutely.

does anyone know if this scramble effect is spreading, or was it one time incident where there is just one bad batch of stuff?

i hope for the latter, for if some bad code is actively running in our marketplace i expect further deterioration!

yikes :catindifferent: just wondering if it is gonna get worse....

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I'm not sure how to "easily" get a list of all my item numbers. 

I know this doesn't help everyone, but if you use ANS it's one of the columns reported:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Setting-up-Marketplace-to-use-ANS-and-log-to-an-external/td-p/1107297

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

I relisted 19 of my listings that were unlisted prior to DD.  I relisted them as DD.  so far no problems with any of my DD as well as my main MB listings.

I'm not sure how to "easily" get a list of all my item numbers.  If someone knows how I'd love to know that as well.  All I've been doing is going into edit my items, then hover my cursor over the item in that list and the item number shows up in the URL at the bottom left of my browser - the item number being the last of the string.

Here is a relatively fast method, although nothing as simple as "copy the list to...":

1. Open Manage Listings and view 100 items at a time. Also open Notepad or some other plain-text editor.

2. Right-click on the item name in the "Item Name" column in the first listing and "Copy Link Address..." (in Chrome) or "Copy Shortcut" in IE. The idea being to copy the URL of the full listing to the clipboard. (Sorry, I don't have a Mac or I'd paste that info too.)

Right-click on Item Name.png

3. Switch to the plain-text editor and Paste the URL into it then press Enter to move down a line. (I use the keyboard to do this rapidly. Alt+Tab (switch to previous window), Ctrl+V (paste), Enter (move down a line).

4. Switch back to the browser window (Alt+Tab) and ... back to step #2 for the next listing.

I work my way down the listings then view the Next page of listings until I've copy and pasted the URL of every single one into the plain-text editor.

You can go a step further to remove the first part of the URL pasted on each line if you want, but since the goal is really just to see which ones are in the "Dreaded 14xxxx" range, just being able to see a list of them is usually enough.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Here is a relatively fast method, although nothing as simple as "copy the list to...":

1. Open Manage Listings and view 100 items at a time. Also open Notepad or some other plain-text editor.

2. Right-click on the item name in the "Item Name" column in the first listing and "Copy Link Address..." (in Chrome) or "Copy Shortcut" in IE. The idea being to copy the URL of the full listing to the clipboard. (Sorry, I don't have a Mac or I'd paste that info too.)

Right-click on Item Name.png

3. Switch to the plain-text editor and Paste the URL into it then press Enter to move down a line. (I use the keyboard to do this rapidly. Alt+Tab (switch to previous window), Ctrl+V (paste), Enter (move down a line).

4. Switch back to the browser window (Alt+Tab) and ... back to step #2 for the next listing.

I work my way down the listings then view the Next page of listings until I've copy and pasted the URL of every single one into the plain-text editor.

You can go a step further to remove the first part of the URL pasted on each line if you want, but since the goal is really just to see which ones are in the "Dreaded 14xxxx" range, just being able to see a list of them is usually enough.

Thanks Darrius.  I just thought there would be an easier way.  Since Listing & Item numbers are the KEY field to each respectively, one would thing it would easily listed in reports on MP (obviously in read-only format).  The ID is referenced in sales transactions, so why not in the fundamental main item management screen of manage inventory?

a very quick and dirty way is to use firefox, do a drag select of the listings and then right click and view source.  it will bring up the html with the listing number for each - rather than fight through the sludge you can then do a find on 140,141 etc ranges.

if that makes sense

Couldbe Yue wrote:

a very quick and dirty way is to use firefox, do a drag select of the listings and then right click and view source.  it will bring up the html with the listing number for each - rather than fight through the sludge you can then do a find on 140,141 etc ranges.

if that makes sense

Excellent suggestion Couldbe. I use Chrome, but Ctrl+U works there as well. I used Chrome's "Find Text" in the HTML source code for "/products/" and got this:

View Source-Find text entry box.png View Source-Find products.png

Fortunately none of my products are in the dreaded range, as I quickly verified by changing the text searched for:

View Source-Find products 14x.png

Note the "0 of 0" result. Whew!

Couldbe Yue wrote:

if that makes sense

Excellent!!!  I'm a Firefox user so this is great!!!!  Thanks, Couldbe!

Thanks for sharing your findings, its a big help. I'm still trying to piece together what's happening...

Is it only these ranges (140-141) which are affected? Earlier people said just 140 range so is this issue of data corruption compounding?

Since marketplace is running in essentially an alpha-test state not appropriate for public use, it would be nice for us merchants if Lindens did something to (at least temporarily) redirect people to do their shopping inworld again and just avoid marketplace.

This situation really sucks big time, I'd prefer just to see them shutter marketplace at this point. Just end this horrorshow please.

Well apparently something happened to my store.  Yesterday I  had 8 borked listings that belonged to other merchants.  Today... 2 of them are gone.  6 more to go I guess.

Im still not going to reopen on MP until I am at least a little sure that the issue is fixed.  All of the items I took down were old, and needed a redo anyway.  But they were still getting sales.

Oh well... apparently there is nothing else to do but wait.

Oh good to hear, Andrea, maybe they've got things on the mend then, not an advancing problem.

Let's hope for the best :catsurprised:

I just had chance to look through all my items finally. I do have a largish number....  I found 4 hits out of ~300 items, so (assuming this is a standardized sampling) one could gauge that probably ~1.3% of total marketplace is currently infected.

Have Lindens made statement anywhere as to why this is happening or what's going on?

So I was kind of getting used to the "Snooki" and "Red Eyes" non-existent welcome mats in my MP store.  Just checked it out a few minutes ago and..oh!  they're gone!!!!  Woot...oh wait...whaaaattt?

They have been "replaced" by three more borked listings, this time showing someone else's image of shoes for my heart candles.  /facepalms

MP1.jpg

MP2.jpg

Just added it to the jira.

Ha, we were posting to JIRA at the same time. All of my borkedness seems to be gone except for one new item, it's something I've had unlisted for a looong time, and now it shows a really old listing title and a picture of hair textures.  Since it was unlisted, I decided to edit and list the original item, which gave me a completely new 12xxx listing number.  So that didn't work.

Regardless I am happy to see something happening, I hope they are on the new borked stuff quickly and don't let it hang for weeks like the previous ones.

Heh!  Actually, I kind of like those shoes...I looked up ~Mischa~ in the MP search and got about 8 hits, only a couple of whom have current stores and none sell shoes. 

Edit to add:  The current borked listings are linked to items that have been listed for a long time in my store but fall into the 1558xxx item listing range. 

I have carefully avoided touching anything on my MP store (I have a backlog of things to be listed) in hopes of avoiding borkage -- I did not have anything in the identified range of IDs. But now I guess all bets are off, since any number is vulnerable, huh?

I don't count this as a step forward. And I would like to reiterate what I have said about this before: they can't fix it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.