Marketplace Issues Update

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Resident

The Commerce Team is aware of ongoing issues that are affecting the Marketplace web site.

Review Counts were temporarily removed from display for search results.  Review data is preserved and the review counts are visible on the actual product listing.  The Review Counts on search returns will be re-enabled after further optimization is done to improve page load times that are still affecting many users.

We are also aware of an issue with some orders stuck in the Being Delivered state and are actively working to verify the cause and resolve the issue.

We are also monitoring the Jira system for other issues not included here and will be researching those reports as well.

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

The Commerce Team is aware of ongoing issues that are affecting the Marketplace web site.

Review Counts were temporarily removed from display for search results.  Review data is preserved and the review counts are visible on the actual product listing.  The Review Counts on search returns will be re-enabled after further optimization is done to improve page load times that are still affecting many users.

We are also aware of an issue with some orders stuck in the Being Delivered state and are actively working to verify the cause and resolve the issue.

We are also monitoring the Jira system for other issues not included here and will be researching those reports as well.

The marketplace shoppers have no clue why the site is slow.  Some are trying to adjust their computers.

Please address this ON THE SITE PAGE that everyone goes to, so the shoppers understand. 

We have found the reason for the orders being stuck in "Being Delivered" for you, Commerce Team.  Please see THIS thread for the cause.

And....I gotta ask...is making the merchant tasks more difficult by increasing the update times for just listed products and removing features like the review counts REALLY the way do "optimize" this thing?  I feel like you folks are grasping at straws over there.

Do you have any time frame estimates on these "ongoing issues"...???

some people have to consider whether or not to hold on to a sim or not.  It is just a few days from the first of the month.  Some people use the marketplace sales to pay for land inworld.  I certainly did.

time frame as in 48 hours?....one week?.....or 45 days?

Not getting paid is a showstopper, i've already articulated my feelings around the present mal-architecture and how this is exacerbated by the escrow intermdiary that doesn't need to be there with Direct Delivery!

As has been already stated, the reason has been discovered and documented, it's the back end process, failing to correctly deal with unicode characters and is ONLY a Direct Delivery related issue.

Oh don't forget to deal with the JIRA that relates to redeliveries of gifted items going to the wrong person, they should go to the gift recipient, NEVER the purchaser.

That's pretty important otherwise there is a good chance that a customer might gift something to an alt or friend, then tell the merchant that they didn't receive it.  An unknowing merchant then redelivers and the purchaser and the alt/friend now have their own copy.  Nice one!  Also, only a Direct Delivery issue.

(I assumed that only the delivery engine was going to change, not a completely different layer of code on top on the web end, no wonder there's a rush to get rid of magic boxes, saves maintaining two different code streams!)

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

The marketplace shoppers have no clue why the site is slow.  Some are trying to adjust their computers.

Please address this ON THE SITE PAGE that everyone goes to, so the shoppers understand. 

This shopper can't even get to the site page, so that won't work. Maybe better, a message sent to all emails, or, a message when you log inworld.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Not getting paid is a showstopper, i've already articulated my feelings around the present mal-architecture and how this is exacerbated by the escrow intermdiary that doesn't need to be there with Direct Delivery!

As has been already stated, the reason has been discovered and documented, it's the back end process, failing to correctly deal with unicode characters and is ONLY a Direct Delivery related issue.

Oh don't forget to deal with the JIRA that relates to redeliveries of gifted items going to the wrong person, they should go to the gift recipient, NEVER the purchaser.

That's pretty important otherwise there is a good change that a customer might gift something to an alt or friend, then tell the merchant that they didn't receive it.  An unknowing merchant then redelivers and the purchaser and the alt/friend now have their own copy.  Nice one!  Also, only a Direct Delivery issue.

(I assumed that only the delivery engine was going to change, not a completely different layer of code on top on the web end, no wonder there's a rush to get rid of magic boxes, saves maintaining two different code streams!)

Commerce Team...read what Miss Sassy said above.  I'll wait....

OK...now read it again.  I'll wait some more.....

Do you understand what she's saying? 

There are separate issues here and sadly appears too many of them. I don't think the page load dial-up speed is caused by the alleged unicode bug. In fact I don't even think it is caused by the direct delivery upgrade. The marketplace was somewhat slow as compared to other websites loading time weeks before March 21. My personal feeling is that the database is not indexed correctly and the traffic increase (mostly by merchants) after the upgrade aggravated the problem but the upgrade itself is not the root of it.

Hi Commerce Team Linden

It's good to have an explanation from you about the missing review scores. I hope you will consider email notification when shoppers leave reviews for us - please?

And I so agree with everyone who has asked you to find a way to let shoppers know that you are sorry Marketplace is running temporarily slow because of a major change to the shopping architecture. I think having a reason, an explanation and a "sorry" would be better than leaving them guessing - and fuming at the slowness.

It sure would soothe me!!

Emma :) 

I early on  suspected there was a character set issue as soon as I started to make test deliveries on DD products as my brand name has been Boötes, and the delivered product had the name truncated after Bo. So I started to change the listing names bott to eliminate the | character and changed Boötes to Bootes to make the delivered product in the received items folder look all right. 

It only occured to me this morning when listing names with em-dashes in them still failed, that the charcter set was the root problem of products stalling in the Being deliverd state. 

It is, however, a serious architectual flaw in the design of the DD system, if listed products on the marketplace cannot be localized because the product deliverd to the received items folder must have a name restricted to the ASCII character set. This restriction is due to the fact that the Inventory does not support names with non ASCII characters.  HINT: Try creatre a notecard for instance with Boötes in it's name – Impossible. 

To me it looks like the chosen solution for DD simply no longer supports localization of listing names. 

Ela Talaj wrote:

There are separate issues here and sadly appears too many of them. I don't think the page load dial-up speed is caused by the alleged unicode bug. In fact I don't even think it is caused by the direct delivery upgrade. The marketplace was somewhat slow as compared to other websites loading time weeks before March 21. My personal feeling is that the database is not indexed correctly and the traffic increase (mostly by merchants) after the upgrade aggravated the problem but the upgrade itself is not the root of it.

Oh I agree it's unrelated but not reconciling payments is a serious issue.  It's as much a showstopper as a slow site.  Not much good MP being zippy fast if the merchant isn't getting paid for the products that can be purchased.

Why not block the reviews altogether at this time and see what happens? There is a possibility it may speed up things. They are useless at this time anyways because one cannot put a review unless bought a product and people are not going to wait for a dial-up speed loading to buy.

If the inventory doesn't support non-ascii characters how could you load anything with Boötes in its name into the magic box before DD? If you did not but were able to associate Boötes in the product name in the marketplace page with the ascii name in the magic box, then the non-ascii characters were read correctly by the web page processing.

I couldn't. Whatever was loaded into the magic box was restricted to the ASCII character set.

The difference was that Listing name on SLM did not have that restriction, which worked fine as long as it was only a display item in the web site. What was delivered to the customer was the item in the magic box that already had the restriction of the inventory imposed on it.

What happens now is that you load a folder which is restricted to the Inventory character set, but on delivery it picks the Listing item from the website for the name of the folder delivered to received items. Therefore, if the listing name has characters not supported by Inventory, the name of the delivered item is truncated at the first occurence of a non-supported character. In addition something fails at the transaction backend matching this up.

So as long as the delivered item picks the listing name, and not the original inventory folder name uploaded to SLM, in reality it becomes impossible to localize listing names in the marketplace. 

Replying to myself, this is also how they can fix it. 

As long as the delivered item to the Received Items has the same name as the folder uploaded for DD, all will work as before and nothing will break in the inventory. 

The Listed item name in SLM will simply be a label for display and for the search engine to index. It can also be localized without having any impact on items deliverd to inventory. 

Ahh...so what ya saying is that there is no translation now from the web product name to the folder name and the folder must be named exactly as the web product... I wouldn't know, I haven't tried to upgrade from magic boxes yet... Hmm, if so it would be a major design flaw.

calebhunt wrote:

Alison Bowler wrote:

Nice One Emma. Instead of explainations, they get a free green bear toasting a marshmallow. Thats how seriously LL are taking it.

LOL! I liked that.:matte-motes-oh-rly:

And you know what, I got a new rank for making that second post ever on these forums. LL sent me a PM to announce it. But you know, I still can't shop on Marketplace cuz it is too damn slow. I got a new rank though. Ooooo makes me soooo happy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.