Can someone copy your profile to make them look like you?

Ivannna Voom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

they copied my textures out of my profile.. is this allowed? took my display name, joined my group..made their profole just like mine with MY textures

** and these were not just pictures i took in second life, they are textures that i created

I am a designer in Sl, I own land and have a buiness, maybe they are going to use this to steaal or defame me..

they have my RL pic in their profile uploaded by them..

14 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Janeel Kharg said:

It appears that someone has been pretending to be me and having sex with my boyfriend.  I've changed my password but I'm pretty miffed that someone would do this,.  I'm even more miffed that my boyfriend of ten years didn't know it wasn't me!

Divorce only costs L$25 ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've just had a look at your profile and that of someone with the same display name, and blimey!  It's a complete clone, apart from the uncloneable bits like partner, rez date and legacy name.   How creepy.   I'd certainly report it as harassment of some sort.

I guess you could file a DMCA takedown notice about the textures and RL photo.   

• Like 5

Yes, someone can copy your profile. (I'm not sure of the logistics on copying a profile picture, but if they are near you or can cam in close to you, they can take a picture of you and use that as their profile picture.

If someone is doing this in order to impersonation you and grief others, you can file an abuse report.

• Like 1

Yes, and No.

If you want some protection for what you write, you need a Copyright; © .

Other Residents must have your Consent to use a photo of your Avatar or any of your original artwork, photos. 

Looking good, is feeling good. Purchase expensive items, and make them pay if they want to be like you.

Disturbing the Peace is consider as a Violation. If something disturbs your peaceful enjoyment of Second Life, you may Report that activity.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Filing-an-abuse-report/ta-p/700065

• Like 1

According to the Community Standards, referenced in the TOS, "Given the myriad capabilities of Second Life, harassment can take many forms. Communicating or behaving in a manner which is offensively coarse, intimidating or threatening, constitutes unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors, or is otherwise likely to cause annoyance or alarm is Harassment."  [my emphasis]   File an Abuse Report.

• Like 2

Making a fairly convincing copy of any pictures/textures in anyones profile is trivial using a combination of screen shot/photo editor and then uploading them. In the past 6 months it has happened to someone in our community. In their case, the copiers life was even easier as the victim had only a first name (ie is a Resident) so all they did was create an account with one additional character. At first glance it was easy to miss that especially with a word for word copy of the profile text. In some ways you are luckier as your surname is a lot more difficult to spoof, hence the copyrats use of a display name. And yes it won't pass anything more than a casual inspection (rez date is indeed very hard to spoof but many people don't check these things)

Follow the advice here and file a report if it is causing you any harrassment - gather any evidence you can of course. Good luck

I know, LOL .. that is what Im talking about.. Pretty extreme! to copy my textures, my text.. join most of my group..they will probably get away with it.. Just makes me mad that they can copy my textures and it's A OK, Just make me wonder what the heck else they can do!

7 hours ago, Janeel Kharg said:

It appears that someone has been pretending to be me and having sex with my boyfriend.  I've changed my password but I'm pretty miffed that someone would do this,.  I'm even more miffed that my boyfriend of ten years didn't know it wasn't me!

I understand the miff... Fidelity in RL is hard to come by. My belief is it is an even rarer commodity in SL. But, now you know it is easy to spoof an identity in SL, especially when you let your account get away from you. If he let someone sit  down at his keyboard, didn't tell you, would you know? Are you sure? Ever hear of the Turing Test?

On 27.3.2012 at 10:08 AM, mikka Luik said:

Making a fairly convincing copy of any pictures/textures in anyones profile is trivial using a combination of screen shot/photo editor and then uploading them.

No need to make it that complicated. All profile pictures areavailable on my.secondlife.com and anybody can download them from there.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:14 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

I understand the miff... Fidelity in RL is hard to come by. My belief is it is an even rarer commodity in SL. But, now you know it is easy to spoof an identity in SL, especially when you let your account get away from you. If he let someone sit  down at his keyboard, didn't tell you, would you know? Are you sure? Ever hear of the Turing Test?

I would know him a mile off, mainly because his English is so bad LOL.  But we have been chatting in Skype for ten years so really he should know me by now.  However, no ones sits at my keyboard, if someone impersonated me it was done some other way.

On 11/3/2017 at 3:15 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Divorce only costs L$25 ;)

We aren't actually married or partnered in SL so no need to divorce.  We've been bf in rl for the same length of time and I just feel he ought to know if it's not me.  If someone looked like my avatar and changed the name appearing on screen I suppose he could be fooled.  He isn't the brightest when it comes to women and being fooled. LOL

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.