How can i install the SL in the linux OS of ubuntu.

stevenking888

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sylwia7983 Michalak wrote:

yes, same errors was with  other viewers

was extracted to  download folder

,,Did you run the unnecessary 'installer'? -  I did what?  I just  trying  from 3 days  install this Exactly like was  in other post .

now go back to   13.04 because in other was not working  and   in some  ubuntu like 9.04 or 10.04   was not even wifi

prefer to do this on ubuntu 13.04 if is   some way to do this

thank you

i give up

:(

There's your problem.

EDIT: I may be wrong but from your previous posts you are running it from your home folder which is good, but you extracted it to your download folder? That's why the file is not being found.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, this error tells me your Linux install is broken anyway:

dpkg: error processing libreoffice-writer (--configure): package libreoffice-writer is not ready for configuration cannot configure (current status `half-installed')

You may be able to fix it with

apt-get -f install

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Actually, this error tells me your Linux install is broken anyway:
dpkg: error processing libreoffice-writer (--configure): package libreoffice-writer is not ready for configuration cannot configure (current status `half-installed')

You may be able to fix it with
apt-get -f install

( To OP : )

Or else try :

sudo dpkg --configure -a

.. and hope your broken packages/applications like libreoffice-writer get (re)configured again. If it doesn't, you might try to purge the package(s) causing you trouble by command-line or Synaptic/Muon, but that can completely break your installation as well.

You'll indeed need to fix this first anyway before continuing installing the required 32-bit libraries and run the viewer on a 64-bit Ubuntu.

If I may make a suggestion? Try and find someone you trust who is willing to (locally or remotely) hop onto your PC and fix it for you. It can be done remotely via SSH,NX or VNC if need be.

You're missing the required proprietary graphics drivers for SL and I highly suspect there's a boatload of other issues with your installation. Trying to fix this via forum isn't going to work well, as you're already noticing I think.

lol .. The command is 'good' ... or not sufficient to resolve your issue. 'Nothing happens' should mean there's no package left to configure.

But aside that ... are you running latest Ubuntu 13.04 ? With an ATI Radeon HD 4250 ? I just tried that recently (PC though, not a laptop... oops .. and it was actually a HD 4850 .. but anyway .. same series .. ). That will give you a very hard time to configure it properly with a decent driver to unlock 3D-functions, because there's no driver from AMD/ATI that will work with the latest kernels.

I'd love to let you try and have it work, but it's best to leave it. Too frustrating ( and yeah ... I'm too stupid to make it work too .. :robotindifferent: )

To be very honest ... I couldn't make it work ( and switched back to an NVidia - card to restore my working Linux ) and I doubt you will. With that ATI card I found it's best to SL with it on Windows 7. The card itself is actually quite good. I liked using it.

If you succeed nonetheless .. all the more respect from me. ( which doesn't say much, but you sure will have it ).

ETA : I agree with others . Stop using WINE to run this and use either a native Linux-client or a normal  windows installation instead.

2 main problems have been pointed out. 1) You don't have the 32 bit libraries installed, you can't run any SL viewer that I know of without them. 2) I did not realize your video card is a legacy card yes? If so as the last poster mentioned AMD/ATI does not have any drivers compatible with Ubuntu 13.04. There is a way to do it, I wrote about it here last year if you care to look through my post history.

np / yw

If your laptop wasn't supplied with an installation CD of any OS, you should have an image ( copy of OS ) of some sort on there to restore it. Check messages at boot. Perhaps there's a function key-combo to restore to standard installation ?

Contact your vendor for details. If they didn't supply that image when sold,  ask them for the original installation.

And if you can't ask a friend with a spare copy ( or any copy ;) ), you might consider buying Windows 7.

Good luck.

Thank you very much TDD 

I didnt answer last night  because  was alredy late  when you post this comment  and  after I decide to  get ;)  CD  with windows 7 and install this  again . Thanks for letting me know that this graphic card and new ubuntu  not working fine together ;) 

Thanks  . after long hrs  looking for drivers Im in sl again .

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.